URS

Updated Feb 2, 2014

URS Chairman, President, and CEO Martin M. Koffel

Martin M. Koffel

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Little fish in a big sea

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat knowledge, excellent peers, good learning experience

ConsSenior mgmt doesn't know who you are, they only care about sales people not the technical people doing the actual consulting work

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees and their knowledge

Promised there was work, left another company to come here, and laid off after 5 weeks when projects were shut down.

Project Information Management (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsNice work environment. Employees were caring and concerned about my welfare after I was laid off.

ConsBefore hiring someone permanent, make sure there are long-term projects. Don't guesstimate based on past experience. In the five weeks I was there, saw supervisor twice and that was on the day I started.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure there are long-term projects before hiring. I left a long-term position with good pay and good benefits to come to this company. This ruined my life when I was laid off! Still haven't found a job!

It depends on the office you work in

Scheduler (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsOpportunities to move around once you are in the corporation

ConsTerrible cost of benefits for this large of a company
    The office I work in mentoring does not exist. I know my job better than my suporvisor does
    Management really has no real leadership skills

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and Mentoring for junior management and employees before they leave to get it at other companies

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but no chance of advancement due to work by billability only.

Data Control (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGood atmosphere and interesting work

ConsBillability--only work as long as current project lasts.
    Upward mobility is only in division--loose tenure if switch divisions.

Politically Charged Corporation at all levels of the organization.

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsI had the great pleasure of working some very intelligent and caring people in 2 offices of this division of this $10B engineering firm. They were well developed professionals with a desire to serve their clients to the best of their ability.

ConsURS is a perfect example of a large corporation. It was impossible to avoid stepping on the toes of a VP when trying to do your job. I was responsible to complete sales and marketing work within 2 offices for this division and spent as many hours negotiating permission to talk to a client with other divisions or offices as I did working to bring new projects into the office. Our division was extremely political internally, and it became a habit to strike a CYA pose in your daily efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince there is such an intensive management matrix, someone should be responsible to manage the matrix on a full time basis, to ensure approved plans and direction are shared across the organization prior to execution of the developed strategy. Measure people based on the work the create not the ire they ignite in the VP structure.

They Don't Support Their Employees

Management (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe Pay is not bad. The Canadian Division seems to be much better then the US Division.

ConsThey have the WRONG People in Management Positions that accept jobs just to make a Buck and do not care about the Welfare & Safety of the Employees doing the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompose a Survey asking the Field Level Employees to rate their Management Staff as well as the Head Office Managers. I think you will see there are a lot of unsatisfied Employees. Some Managers are not available when situations arise and always seem to lay the blame on others. They also need to set their Employees up for Success by allowing them to take courses to enhance their skill levels an learning. What i experienced was I was set up to fail and heard "NO" on several occasions.

No employee development, management in the way of project execution

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsVariety of projects, size and scope, interdiscipline work, reach within US and sometimes overseas depending on market

ConsPoor investment on employee development, Management concerned mostly about making billable hours, Sr Management assigns and removes staff without project leadership input

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen up and coming and succesful Engineers keep leaving after a few years something is not working properly

Safety

Safety EHS (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsSalary, Independent work, Trainer, OSHA Knowledgeable, Behavior based observation, Zero recordable for 1323 days working without a LOST time accident ( Documented)

ConsMore time in field, less office time. Enjoy field work. Boots on the ground work.

Lots of opportunities to try different projects in different states or countries

Denver, CO

ProsAlot of freedom to do your job

ConsNot alot of solid leadership or vision

Process Engineer

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsVery knowledgeable technology managers, highly competitive environment, Business Development group does a great job of bringing in new work

ConsMinimal training and team building, often work done in isolation, not a lot of interaction between the various engineers

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more team building activities and interaction between the different disciplines

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!

URS – Why Work for Us?

URS Corporation is a leading provider of engineering, construction and technical services for public agencies and private sector companies worldwide. We offer a full range of program management; planning, design and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at URS reviews and ratings in Denver, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for URS CEO Martin M. Koffel. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by URS employees.