URS

URS Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

URS Chairman, President, and CEO Martin M. Koffel

Martin M. Koffel

Pros
  • With right management the work-life balance is ok(in 22 reviews)

• Good pay with decent benefits including RRSP, in a large company(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is out of touch with the general work force(in 23 reviews)

• A more stronger presents in upper management to appear more regularly to each site(in 18 reviews)

Enjoyed the work

Paramedic (Former Employee) Anniston, AL

ProsFollowed through with every promise made during mission employment. Good co-workers and Staff supervisors in the Safety and Medical departments. Thoroughly trained all employees in the operations of the site and continually updated training. Good education benefits also.

Consin high hazard environment, some medical staff not paid high risk pay despite having to make entries to those environments if situation would warrant it. .

Advice to Senior ManagementSame as mentioned in cons.

Great job

Graphic Designer (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsPeople are great to work with

ConsBought out by another company

One of the best engineering companies

Environmental Health and Safety (Current Employee) Rolling Meadows, IL

ProsReputation of the company and variation of projects.

ConsTypical consulting business ups and downs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNEED to better communicate within corporation and other offices in sharing workload and billing hours.One of the Best Engineering

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good starting place for experience

Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe office is a very laid back place and great for getting overall experience. In the few years I've been working for them, I've traveled all over the US working on various department projects and visiting different project sites and it's been a very exciting experience. I feel I have a lot of freedom in what I do and I'm not micromanaged, which I feel is how I work best.

I would recommend URS to anyone looking to get themselves into their field.

ConsI can only speak for my department on this, but I feel there is little growth potential for talented, young professionals. I've been told by some "veterans" of the company not to stay there too long. Just in my time here so far, I've seen so many talented individuals leave for this reason... Most people that work here have worked here for a very long time and the ones that haven't will most likely be leaving soon to progress their career.

I'm still at the very bottom of the ladder and it seems I'm just stuck there. No matter how much I go above and beyond and outshine most of my team, I do not get recognized for it. The responsibilities keep piling up, but the compensation does not. It's sad when literally everyone outranks you and gets paid much more than you no matter how much you outshine them. At some point, you can't help but start to feel used.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your talent and recognize/compensate/encourage them for what they do. Do not wait for them to find another position somewhere else.

Lots of opportunity, very little chance in participation

Civil Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsWith right management the work-life balance is ok. Growth is average. Multitude of offices around the world made URS very appealing.

ConsYour employee number is how you are seen from the corporate level. In order to grow a person has to leave and gain experience then return to URS at the higher position. Pay is bottom tier at best. Employees are not rewarded with bonuses or even great benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementSole time is the Biblical law. Being 100% billable is next to impossible especially if the person has to market as well.

Fairly typical big corporation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDirect management is supportive and there are many opportunities to advance which is also strongly encouraged. The work/life balance is supported through programs.

ConsUpper management decisions are sometimes baffling and often they are "penny wise and pound foolish".

15 years and now this

ProsEnjoy the travel opportunities, some great people, and fairly stable environment. Opportunities have been good so if you are ambitious this company is great. URS does very interesting work.

ConsConstant politics. CEO just sold off the company because he is ready to retire. It's sad we have such poor succession planning. The divisional org is highly dysfunctional, everyone does what they want the fight about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize and manage change with project management methodologies.

Ok place to work, traditional thinking

ProsLot's of opportunity to contribute to improving company performance. Leadership is very approachable and accessable. There is a strong work ethic and commitment to customers form a large part of the employees

ConsRecent management hires have brought a more political culture. These people deal in information brokering building their power base and not building a team. They come from unhealthy enviroments like CSC and think that is the way all companies are, they are wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things. Look at your recent hires and see if they know the difference

Great place for young engineers, retirement age, and those looking for flexibility.

Graduate Civil Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility is great. Ability to work from home multiple days a week if needed, 9/80 is allowed. Overtime is allowed to be charged at your normal hourly rate for billable work. Very interesting workload, and opportunities to learn new skills. Good work life balance. 75% to 25% office to field ratio for me. Mostly local travel for me < 2hrs drive. Good variance of multi-disciplinary work for civil engineers. Good mentors for civil engineers. Full benefits.

ConsAverage pay and benefits. Can't keep a lot of good talent around with the salaries and benefits. Didn't realize my healthcare premiums were that high till I got a new job. Variable workload sometimes. Have to market and prove yourself to get on good project teams and to have a steady workload. Lots of unfollowed protocol that only half of everyone seems to be aware of. Just got bought out by AECOM. Not sure what that will do to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for employees would be beneficial. Not online modules. Workshops, etc. Gift cards to walmart and Starbucks are a bit cheesy for rewards.

Unsatisfying

Project Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLower management and peers are very dedicated, collegial people to work with. I enjoy the projects I have worked on and the clients I have worked for.

ConsThere is no work-life balance, little opportunity to take a vaction or enjoy personal time. Upper management is disengaged from the working level employees and the day to day aspects of the business. There has not been much in the form of development or upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with your employees, treat the employees with greater respect, realize that in order to get the best from an employee s/he must have vacations and space for personal and family needs.

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!