URS Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.2

URS Chairman, President, and CEO Martin M. Koffel
Martin M. Koffel

Pros
  • With right management the work-life balance is ok (in 23 reviews)

• Good pay with decent benefits including RRSP, in a large company (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is out of touch with the general work force (in 23 reviews)

• A more stronger presents in upper management to appear more regularly to each site (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging and fast-paced.

Former Employee - Electrician  in  Fort Lewis, WA
    Former Employee - Electrician in Fort Lewis, WA

I worked at URS as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of overtime, great benefits

Cons

Worry of loss of contract, poor life-to-work balance

Take on more manageable contracts

A Great Internship (with an offer) Promptly Followed by Complete Alienation

Former Employee - Water Resources Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Water Resources Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at URS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The work was challenging and meaningful. It actually felt like I accomplished something. Professional work environment. URS does in fact do really interesting projects.

Cons

My internship experience (2007-2008) was a bit unorganized from the get-go and underpaid for what I actually produced. Interns in many industries actually get paid what a full time employee would get paid as I had the previous summer. At times, it was hard to ask questions from the managers and find things to do. The worst experience I had with URS was getting a full time job offer after the internship while in school. The managers told me that they were very impressed and satisfied with me. When I approached them after graduation in 2008, they were not in hiring mode. Literally 7/10 of the managers and employees I had worked with on a daily basis the previous summer were laid off due to downsizing and uncomfortable times. I've applied to many jobs with URS since then, but I am convinced that they have a policy that they will never rehire anyone no matter what the circumstances were.

Don't complain about attracting and retaining top talent. Your management strategies underpay, overwork, and completely alienate your employees. Treat your employees with respect.

designer

Current Employee - Designer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at URS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good culture and has alot of work coming in. I also like how the company is structured

Cons

There's a lack of management here. Most of the time there are overly-ambitious schedules and a lack of leadership

Don't make promises you can't keep or staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of opportunity, very little chance in participation

Former Employee - Civil Engineer
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer

I worked at URS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

With right management the work-life balance is ok. Growth is average. Multitude of offices around the world made URS very appealing.

Cons

Your employee number is how you are seen from the corporate level. In order to grow a person has to leave and gain experience then return to URS at the higher position. Pay is bottom tier at best. Employees are not rewarded with bonuses or even great benefits.

Sole time is the Biblical law. Being 100% billable is next to impossible especially if the person has to market as well.

Fairly typical big corporation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at URS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Direct management is supportive and there are many opportunities to advance which is also strongly encouraged. The work/life balance is supported through programs.

Cons

Upper management decisions are sometimes baffling and often they are "penny wise and pound foolish".

15 years and now this

I have been working at URS

Pros

Enjoy the travel opportunities, some great people, and fairly stable environment. Opportunities have been good so if you are ambitious this company is great. URS does very interesting work.

Cons

Constant politics. CEO just sold off the company because he is ready to retire. It's sad we have such poor succession planning. The divisional org is highly dysfunctional, everyone does what they want the fight about it.

Organize and manage change with project management methodologies.

Amateur hour

Current Employee - ---  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - --- in Houston, TX

I have been working at URS full-time

Pros

Some really nice and talented coworkers and managers.

Cons

Lots of incompetent coworkers and managers. Lots of conflict between disciplines and groups. Does not feel like a group effort, we're all against each other.

Ok place to work, traditional thinking

I have been working at URS for more than a year

Pros

Lot's of opportunity to contribute to improving company performance. Leadership is very approachable and accessable. There is a strong work ethic and commitment to customers form a large part of the employees

Cons

Recent management hires have brought a more political culture. These people deal in information brokering building their power base and not building a team. They come from unhealthy enviroments like CSC and think that is the way all companies are, they are wrong.

Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things. Look at your recent hires and see if they know the difference

Great place for young engineers, retirement age, and those looking for flexibility.

Former Employee - Graduate Civil Engineer
    Former Employee - Graduate Civil Engineer

I worked at URS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility is great. Ability to work from home multiple days a week if needed, 9/80 is allowed. Overtime is allowed to be charged at your normal hourly rate for billable work. Very interesting workload, and opportunities to learn new skills. Good work life balance. 75% to 25% office to field ratio for me. Mostly local travel for me < 2hrs drive. Good variance of multi-disciplinary work for civil engineers. Good mentors for civil engineers. Full benefits.

Cons

Average pay and benefits. Can't keep a lot of good talent around with the salaries and benefits. Didn't realize my healthcare premiums were that high till I got a new job. Variable workload sometimes. Have to market and prove yourself to get on good project teams and to have a steady workload. Lots of unfollowed protocol that only half of everyone seems to be aware of. Just got bought out by AECOM. Not sure what that will do to the company.

More training for employees would be beneficial. Not online modules. Workshops, etc. Gift cards to walmart and Starbucks are a bit cheesy for rewards.

Growth with a limit

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at URS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, working with knowledgeable employees, creating relationships with multiple clients, good work groups and direct level management

Cons

Benefits are always being reduced, pay is on lower of market rate for this location. IT is abysmal, will equip you with quad core processor, 16GB of RAM and CAD graphics card and then load XP onto it. Extreme amounts of tribalism between offices and divisions that stunts worker development. Management lacks a clear vision and strategy, choosing to instead focus on short term agenda of keeping as many people as possible billable. This results in situations where less stellar workers are put on projects with new clients because they are available, resulting in poor first impressions that limit future work and growth.

Develop a strategy to become the industry leader. We should be shaping events, not being shaped by them. Not that it matters with the buyout, future AECOM corporate overlords, please note.

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!