URS

URS Reviews in Stockton, UT

Updated Jun 17, 2014

URS Chairman, President, and CEO Martin M. Koffel

Martin M. Koffel

Pros
  • With right management the work-life balance is ok(in 22 reviews)

• Good pay with decent benefits including RRSP, in a large company(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is out of touch with the general work force(in 23 reviews)

• A more stronger presents in upper management to appear more regularly to each site(in 18 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I am very satisfied with my employment experience at URS, good work fair compensation.

Mechanical Engineer V (Former Employee) Stockton, UT

ProsGreat Working environment and good people to work with.

ConsMy Job ended to soon

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a good job.

Positive experience working there

Buyer III (Former Employee) Stockton, UT

ProsStructure, Salary, coworkers, conditions, training

Consisolated, government oversight, work balance

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at this facility was very supportive of the workforce

Experience was average.

Safety Specialist (Current Employee) Stockton, UT

ProsCompany helped employees with transitioning into other jobs due to the closure of the government installation where I worked.

ConsTo much management. There was an average of 1.5 employees per 1 supervisor position in the safety department. It was an example of how tax dollars are spent paying government contractors and that cost plus contracts only promote overstaffed and overpaid management. If this job would have been in the private sector the company would have never operated in the black. Also, employee evaluations were inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementSave the tax payers some money and only staff management at appropriate levels to complete the contracts. By overstaffing the management on the government contract jobs you create extreme micromanagement, un-productive supervisors, and employees that only have 2-3 hours of work in a 12 hour shift. This leads to supervisors over managing employees.

Also, the VPP Safety Programs are a complete false evaluation of a facilities safety record. Instead of promoting safety it does the exact opposite. Employees are scared for their jobs if injured and do not report minor injuries or near misses because of the back lash that usually occurs once an injury is reported. Employees don't want to be the person that costs the facility the VPP safety record. Here is one example: An employee's face was sprayed with caustic due to a faulty valve and incorrect valve closures by a previous shift. The employee was sent for off site medical treatment. The employee's face sustained caustic burns but after receiving off site medical treatment the employee was contacted by his direct management and told that he needed to return to work because they did not want their group responsible for a lost work day due to an injury which would change the loss work day running total. This employee should have been allowed to leave the off site medical facility and go home for the day due to the burns on his face. He was in fear for his job even though he followed procedure so he returned to work because it was common for management to find anything they could to blame the employee for an injury and seek undue corrective actions and/or firing the employee.

This is just a short example of the type of things I saw while working at the facility. I was a safety professional but did not dare question the validity of the VPP program and the fact that it may do the exact opposite of what the program is designed to accomplish.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Large, good

Computer Technician (Current Employee) Stockton, UT

Prosgood benefits package, room for movement if desired, pay

Consthe site I worked at was quite a ways outside of civilization, abt an hour commute each way, but obviously that depends on what contract your working on, or if working for one of the corporate offices

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Company takes care of employees very well.

Quality (Current Employee) Stockton, UT

ProsAwesome benefits. Safety of employees is priority. Management is open to new ideas and change.

ConsSomewhat difficult to move within divisions. Poor communication of job statuses on career web site.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer job site/application process needs improvement.

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!