US Agency for International Development

US Agency for International Development Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

US Agency for International Development Administrator Dr. Rajiv Shah

Dr. Rajiv Shah

Pros:
  • "a chance to help others much less fortunate around the world"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Very Friendly environment to work in"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "There are limitations on what Foreign Service Officers can say and do, especially once living abroad"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Government bureaucracy introduces so much waste"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

USAID - the toughest job you'll ever hate...

I have been working at US Agency for International Development

Prosa chance to help others much less fortunate around the world

Consstifling bureaucracy; low pay; function more as paper-pushing money manager than innovator

Advice to Senior Managementempower staff to implement leading-edge development ideas, rather than hewing to giving the same old big contracting firms all the money. allow the freedom to fail and incentivize the staff to take risks!

Working for the U.S. Agency for International Development was very rewarding. I was able to assist the Inspector Genera

Management Analyst (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at US Agency for International Development full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou get to meet a lot of great people from all walk of life.

ConsThe downside of working for US AID was less employees developing opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide career training for employees.

ID

Program Officer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at US Agency for International Development full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey are looking for help and they need it.

ConsUtterly dysfunctional, totally screwed up, vindictive, petty, arrogant, boorish; Foreign Service career officers dominate agency and do not have any perceptible interest in helping starving people in third world countries. Their careers and accommodations in capital cities around the world are what's important as is bullying junior officers and local hire host country nationals. Not to mention filling their bank accounts as they live in free housing and salt away zillions at the taxpayers' expense.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are pathetic.

Disjointed and dysfunctional organization for staff development

I have been working at US Agency for International Development full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting work - especially in conflict mitigation and reconciliation but senior management seems more concerned with infrastructure, health and economic development than rebuilding societies addressing root causes of conflict between ethnic groups.

ConsBureaucratic - the HR system is heavy handed and irresponsive even to employees in critical situations. The bureaucracy stiffles true innovation. Overseas managers lack experience in supervision, care more about themselves than employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously reform HR keeping in mind employees and their needs, think outside of the box in practice more than just in policies and words.

LOVED my internship here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at US Agency for International Development as an intern

Pros- really meaningful work, even as an intern
- work environment was wonderful, and i loved my colleagues
- great organizational culture

Cons- standard government bureaucracy
- there are virtually no direct-hire jobs that accept recent college grads, or really anyone without a Master's or above (though it is possible for people with just BAs to get into AID as contractors)
- while senior leadership was effective and likable, it seemed like so many brilliant career senior officers had been passed over due to a lack of political connections

Advice to Senior Management- create more career opportunities: for college grads to enter USAID, and for senior officers to get the promotions they deserve
- be more selective about new initiatives - there are too many!

Good learning opportunity, limited room for growth

Program Assistant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at US Agency for International Development full-time for more than a year

ProsGood exposure to project design, management.

ConsRigid, bureaucratic processes. Limited room for creativity.

afghan plan

I have been working at US Agency for International Development

Prosmake money, great adventure, only a year

Consstress, danger, org politics, and more

Acquisition Positions

Contract Specialist (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at US Agency for International Development full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are friendly and looking for guidance.

ConsNobody follows the Federal Acquisition Regulations and lots of wasted funds at this agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the FAR and get rid of the system currently in place that is too cumbersome, fails to provide results, and costs too much money.

Really great, family friendly environment with strong team cohesion

Program Analyst (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at US Agency for International Development full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood team environment, respect for your family/personal level, rewarding of hard work, and great opportunities for travel (even young people)

ConsPaperwork. If a Congressman happens to be visiting a country you are working on you have to stop everything to write a briefer and get it through clearance, which can eat up more of your day than you would like. Also, there are too many meetings, which can make it hard to get your work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementFewer meetings. And find a faster way to deal with clearances/briefers.

Great place to learn

Intern/Africa (Former Employee)

I worked at US Agency for International Development full-time

ProsAs an intern, housing is provided and they provide transport to/from work. Lovely people.

ConsIt's sometimes difficult for interns to get time or attention because the regular workers are so busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing amazing work. Keep it up.

Worked for US Agency for International Development? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Agency for International Development reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Agency for International Development CEO Dr. Rajiv Shah . All 65 reviews posted anonymously by US Agency for International Development employees.