US Air Force

4,676 Reviews

US Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh
General Mark A. Welsh
1,699 Ratings

Pros
  • Free medical and dental care for yourself and extremely cheap dental care for your family (in 132 reviews)

• The Air Force has great benefits for during and after your time in the service (in 293 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing i can think of as a negative is the time spent away from family (in 315 reviews)

• Some long hours at times, but thats more than to be expected in this career field (in 384 reviews)

More Highlights

96 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good branch to work in if you're going to join the military.

Current Employee - Weather Forecaster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Weather Forecaster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full benefits, 30 days of leave earned per year, not needing a college degree, travel, family-oriented branch.

Cons

If you work Army support weather, then you'll be doing temporary assignments frequently in the middle of nowhere and away from your family more often than the normal Air Force forecaster. Shift work wears on you after consistent rotations of shifts, making you miss holidays. If you want a good weather job when you get out, you have to have at least a Master's degree to possibly get a decent job on the outside.

Ease up on the constant rotations of shifts. It wears on the body.

An outstanding experience; great training and equipment; and promotion and leadership opportunities

Former Employee - Air Force Pilot in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Air Force Pilot in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

State of the art training and equipment; outstanding co-workers dedicated to the service of our nation; superior leadership and management preparation for post-military service.

Cons

Frequent requirements to move the family and live far from home and family; high probability of assignments that require spouse to be separated from the immediate family.

Continue to recruit the best and brightest and provide them with opportunities to grow personally and professionally while pitching them with the honor and pleasure that comes with serving your country.

Great People, Great Mission

Current Employee - Acquisition Program Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Acquisition Program Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is nothing like the pride that comes with service and working in the uniformed military community. Exceptional efforts every day to accomplish the mission driven by that professional dedication to the mission and to each other. Benefits which are truly second to none.

Cons

Under-resourced for the missions we are tasked to do. Senior leadership in uniform and at the civilian level has become exceptionally political and this is corroding the moral and capability of the organization. An aging fleet of capital assets in desperate need of modernization with no clear vision of what that means and a dwindling workforce of qualified people to do it.

No job security any more. No feedback on why some groups are getting cut.

Stop purging people! Start telling them the truth. If the uniformed members are willing to put their lives on the line for the mission the least you can do is stop the double-speak and give us no-BS answers as to what is going on in the service.

Excellent Career and Training opportunity.

Current Employee - Air Force Officer in Peterson AFB, CO
    Current Employee - Air Force Officer in Peterson AFB, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Career advancement
    Travel
    College tuition assistance

Cons

Demanding schedule
    Overseas travel
    Downsizing employees

Grow and invest in young talent

There is no other experience like this, but it certainly isn't an experience for everyone.

Current Employee - Loadmaster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Loadmaster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid traveling, skills and classes paid for, TA and Post 9/11 GI Bill, some sense of fellowship, and finally definitely makes you feel like you're part of something bigger.

Cons

The culture can be very negative, and change is extremely slow and painful. There are a lot of old school people running the USAF, and they don't care to see things change. The amount of tax payer dollars that you end up seeing wasted is unbelievable and hard to see.

Flush a lot of leadership positions with younger, more passionate people. Find leaders that are not playing the political game, and that have come from the bottom.

into the wild blue yonder

Current Employee - TSgt USAF in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - TSgt USAF in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

lots of job choices, travel opportunities, like every other branch of the military

Cons

it's the Air Force. I've been in the Marines, and the Navy, and recommend the Marines!

Great while it lasted. 6C0X1

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My career field, 6C0X1 Contracting, provided a great opportunity while I was on Active Duty. I was able to deploy one time in four years, and attain the necessary training to advance within the field.

Cons

Getting in to this career field you need to be prepared to not have any time off in September. Other than that, my leadership was flexible with time off, and at least in my experience, were willing to provide the guidance and recommendations I wanted in order to prepare myself for promotions and education.

Focus more on career development and identifying who is best suited for a particular task and for promotions, not by their volunteering, but by their performance on the job, and leadership/followership qualities.

Downsizing

Current Employee - Superintendent in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Joining the Air Force was the best decision I made as a young person. It afforded me the ability to take care of my family, travel and do the things I love to do. All of this while supporting the country I love. I love the Air Force

Cons

The decision to downsize is something every company/business goes thru. However, the way the Air Force went about it was bad. They did not have all the information and made many people's lives a nightmare as they were waiting to see if they were being let go.

I believe things are status quo right now. However, my advise to management is to listen to their people in the lower ranks. You don't have to agree or even choose their ideas they just want to be heard.

I love serving the airmen, they are very polite, but the work environment in our office is very negative.

Current Employee - Telephone Operator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Telephone Operator in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The job itself is pretty simple, and you get a sense of satisfaction helping the military members talk to their families.

Cons

This is a dead end job, with very little chance for advancement. We used to be contractors and made $18.00 per hour. When we were forced to become Civil Service in 2011, we were classified as GS-03, and our pay was cut to $12.00 per hour. We tried to fight this and be classified GS-04, but were unsuccessful. Top brass admitted we were misclassified, but the wrong was never rectified. I am glad our office is closing so I can find a non-government job.

In order to be respected as an employer, the Air Force needs to honor their own motto of integrity. They need to hold upper management accountable for treating employees respectfully, and not sweeping wrongdoing under the carpet.

I have been a government civilian for 10 years as a program analyst and strategy, plans and policy analyst

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, particularly sick leave and vacation

Cons

In the current budget environment, it is very painful and high stress.

"People first, mission always" is complete nonsense. Nothing has been made clearer to me in the last 18 months than that the Air Force senior leadership doesn't give a crap about its people. The Air Force HR people are the template for the Evil HR character in Dilbert.