US Air Force

4.1 2,939 reviews

US Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh

General Mark A. Welsh

2,939 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The opportunity to travel is great, with the potential to visit places that civilians rarely see"
    in 120 reviews
  • "Medical and Dental Benefits a big plus in the military"
    in 85 reviews
Cons:
  • "a lot of time away from family, the pay doesn't add up to all the hours you work"
    in 221 reviews
  • "we work long hours regularly while working in all kinds of weather"
    in 282 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not for everyone, but the best organization I've ever worked for.

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCareer Opportunities - The breadth of jobs is unlike what you will find in any corporations, and you will have opportunities to switch careers multiple times in your career. Career development and progression is straightforward and mainly only limited by your own ambition and performance.
Compensation & Benefits - You probably won't get rich, but when you add in all the benefits it's comparable or in many cases better than the civilian world.
Work/Life Balance - Uniformed service is a 24/7 way of life. Which means there is a heavy focus on holistic support for you and your family.
Senior Management - Everyone pretty much starts at the same place, so you know your leaders have been in your shoes. They tend to be truly exceptional people who have risen to the top at every point in their career.
Culture & Values - "Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in All We Do" it's a simple ethos that is applied at every level and in every situation.

ConsCareer Opportunities - You need to start working towards your career goals from day one, because you are constantly compared to your peers and once you fall behind them your opportunities for advancement will begin to dwindle and you can't catch up or start over.
Compensation & Benefits - The Air Force is downsizing and budgets are getting slashed. Like most organizations payroll & benefits are prime cost cutting targets.
Work/Life Balance - An AF career is a big commitment. You have little control over your schedule, location, combat, risky jobs, etc., and you will constantly have to make choices between the AF and your personal life. Serving your country is very rewarding, but you need to make sure you have a life to go back to at the end of the day and after your career ends.
Senior Management - Military leadership will always be subordinate to politically appointed leaders and handcuffed by federal processes and regulations. That's part of what makes the US a democracy, but can also be a handcuff.
Culture & Values - "Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in All We Do" it's a simple ethos, but can be misapplied. If you always put service first you will burn people out. If you push for perfection as opposed to excellence you will create unattainable expectations and temptation to sacrifice integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith today's budget environment, the flattening of the global environment, and rapidly advancing adversaries the AF will have to change. The organization, application, and critical thinking of our modern AF is still steeped in traditions bred from ground infantries centuries ago. Have the courage to radically shake it up. It will hurt. We won't enjoy it. It probably won't work the first time or the second or the third, but it will make us better and more adaptable.

US Air Force

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTechnical Education and OJT from Apprentice to Journeyman level, Life Experiences, College Education Benefits (no out of pocket), Domestic and World Travel,

ConsCorporate fiscal instability affecting mission readiness

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit drinking the Kool-Aid and remember where you came from...

NCO

I have been working at US Air Force

ProsThe USAF provides a fantastic baseline of skills and technical experience. The military environment fosters networking, career development and strong leadership skills.

ConsYou MUST be capable of adapting to new missions and changing environments (both geographical and political) as well as being prepared to focus on efficiency in all aspects of operations.

A very rewarding experience, but not for everyone.

Electronics Technician (Current Employee)
Hill AFB, UT

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

ProsJob stability is a definite benefit, along with education benefits and housing pay. You get to ravel and meet new people and see different places, depending on your specialty.

ConsThe current draw-downs have created some instability in the overall force. This combined with constant talk regarding benefits changes creates an environment of instability that ahs become troubling.

Air Force

I have been working at US Air Force

ProsVariety of jobs...travel..promoti9n is based of your work ethic.

ConsBeing away from family...unpredictable deployments. Pay is not that great at first

Advice to Senior ManagementDont forhey the little people...promote on merit.

Great Career Choice but Organization in transition.

Supervisory Environmental Engineer (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat experience for young professionals. Full of challenges and rewarding.

ConsBudgetary constraints are driving change from the top. Communication of the proposed changes is haphazard adding to the chaos. Manpower reductions are also looming.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more directly with field to insure smooth transitions to new policies.

Great Community

Air Force Pilot (Former Employee)
Cannon AFB, NM

I worked at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent pay, great coworkers. Worked for the US Air Force for more than 10 years. Deployed many times. The best part of the USAF is the mission and the people you work with.

ConsLots of deployments, long hours, and lots of additional duties outside of your AFSC. It is not a nine-to-five job.

Only as good as the worst worker.

Avionics Technician (Current Employee)
Offutt AFB, NE

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaid vacation, benefits, and career opportunities.

ConsWork load is not always distributed evenly. Hazing is normal and because of recent events in the world people are stressed more than normal.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your subordinates, don't mistreat them because that's the culture.

The Air Force is the perfect career to gain job skills and a degree while receiving steady pay and benefits.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Charleston, SC

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFair salary and opportunity for advancement.

ConsPossibility of deploying or separation from family.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your subordinates personality to better identify strengths and weaknesses.

Airforce lifestyle

Aviation Resource Management (Current Employee)
Altus, OK

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benifits.
Good vacation time.
The option to travel ( varys from base to base)
Networking.
Sense of accomplishment and impact towards real world missons.

ConsDeplyoments.
Sometimes it can be a "shut up and color" situation when it comes to projects and work.
Could get station in non desired place.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be interactive with with airman from officer to enlisted. And continue to be open to ideas to make the company work " smarter not harder"

Worked for US Air Force? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Air Force reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Air Force CEO General Mark A. Welsh. All 2,939 reviews posted anonymously by US Air Force employees.