US Air Force

4,676 Reviews

US Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh
General Mark A. Welsh
1,699 Ratings

Pros
  • Free medical and dental care for yourself and extremely cheap dental care for your family (in 132 reviews)

• The Air Force has great benefits for during and after your time in the service (in 293 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing i can think of as a negative is the time spent away from family (in 315 reviews)

• Some long hours at times, but thats more than to be expected in this career field (in 384 reviews)

More Highlights

Tremendous growth opportunity, life experiences, and chance to serve.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Job security.
    Retirement pension.
    Fairly free from discriminatory behaviors, compared to the private sector.
    Annual pay raises.

Cons

Aside from pilots, doctors, and lawyers, officers should be promoted from enlisted ranks. it makes no sense to put a 22 year old with no job experience, life experience, military experience, or leadership experience over a SNCO, expect the SNCO to mentor/train the officer, yet pay the officer more and give them more responsibility. ROI does not get much more counter-intuitive than that military cultural norm. In the days of the Civil War, and maybe in WWI and WWII the officer corps may have been significantly more intelligent than the enlisted corps, but that is no longer the case. In 2011, officers should not be looking down their noses at enlisted members as if they are higher forms of human life. it is time for a serious cultural change in the military.

See cons above.

Aim High!

Current Employee - O6 - Air Force - Colonel in Langley AFB, VA
    Current Employee - O6 - Air Force - Colonel in Langley AFB, VA

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

USAF is a forward looking service that cares about and takes great care of its people. Leading edge aviation technology. Taking the fight directly to our nation's enemies. Great opportunities to travel and live overseas. Service values education, which is good for you while you are in and when you leave the USAF.

Cons

Standard deployment lengths are 179 days. Time in between deployments will depend on career field choice. Meaningful deployments go by quickly though, and you will feel great reward. You will occasionally not have the best management -- inescapable in an organization this large. Wait however, and either you or they will rotate out.

Stay focused on the mission oriented purpose of the service, and attempt to shield the force from the political winds of DC.

Challenging Environment

Current Employee - Senior Master Sergeant (Superintendent) in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Master Sergeant (Superintendent) in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership training and job progression in a timely basis. Very satisfying occupation that contributes to the security of this nation. Job security is a huge bonus especially in the current economy.

Cons

Deployments can be difficult to adjust to and hard on families. Sometimes makes planning your vacation, family time, and other events a challenge depending on your particular occupation and world events.

Continue to invest in your people. Leadership development is highly effective in ensuring a quality force that can meet the demands of the future.

I enjoyed myself just like anywhere else it has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Aerospace Maintenance Journeyman in Hurlburt Field, FL
    Current Employee - Aerospace Maintenance Journeyman in Hurlburt Field, FL

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Traveling was my big reason for joining and with my career field i really got to do it

Cons

Way to many politics
    Micromanaging
    Shouldnt test for Staff should be earned on merit
    Too many people dont know their jobs
    meh

If you say youll do something do it

Actvie Duty Air Force Enlisted

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Medical, pay, 30 days paid vacation, training, opportunity to lead.

Cons

Salary doesn't always match civilian world and definitely doesn't correlate with employee quality all the time. The hard working guy gets paid just as much as the guy doing the bare minimum.

Fix rating system to promote based on performance not some irrelevant test. I know, easier said than done.

Tactical Aircraft Maintenance

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Good career alot todo but alot of work.

Cons

long hours but hey your in the military get over it

Aim High ... it's more than just a slogan.

Current Employee - Division Chief in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Division Chief in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great career opportunity and benefits. Almost unlimited potential for advancement if you're willing to do the work. That said, there is always some measure of luck involved but the cliché of "luck is where opportunity meets preparation" has never been truer. You can definitely make your own luck in the AF.

Cons

Deployments and time away form family are always difficult, particularly for "stressed" career fields. We need to actually stop trying to do more with less... We risk our nation's security by refusing to accept the fact that we have real limitations right now. Leadership understands this but our folks get making it happen somehow and this ability to pull a rabbit out of our hat every time masks real underlying resource (manpower and funding) issues.

See above... Stop trying to do more with less.

Loved working for the USAF! Retired after 24 years doing aircraft maintenance.

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Excellent benefits and travel opportunities. Busy schedule depending on the job you sign up for. Aircraft maintenance is the busiest and most under appreciated.

Cons

Deployments... Depending on the job you could deploy up to 6+months a year, over and over. Most of the places to go are not bad and the extra pay is good.

Take care of the people!

Good.

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Very good Comradery. Feels like family

Cons

Did like the deployment and being gone.

Lot of Work no bonus

Current Employee - 3d1x2 in Lackland AFB, TX
    Current Employee - 3d1x2 in Lackland AFB, TX

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of bonuses to being in the military, all the benefits for one. Free health\dental\vision care. Housing and Food covered if you live on base and non taxable allowences if you dont.

Cons

The hours and the work a lot of time you feel unappreciated unless you kiss up to SNCOs