US Air Force

4,845 Reviews

US Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh
General Mark A. Welsh
1,767 Ratings

Pros
  • Free medical and dental care for yourself and extremely cheap dental care for your family (in 132 reviews)

• The Air Force has great benefits for during and after your time in the service (in 293 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing i can think of as a negative is the time spent away from family (in 315 reviews)

• Some long hours at times, but thats more than to be expected in this career field (in 384 reviews)

More Highlights

A fantastic life changing experience.

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

After receiving a full-tuition ROTC scholarship I graduated from college expecting to serve out my 5-year commitment and move on to a civilian job. After two great assignments I decided to stay until it wasn't fun any more. That was 21 years ago and I don't have a single regret. The Air Force has paid for my masters degree and other professional certifications. Medical coverage for my self and family are second to none. Would I do it all over again, absolutely!

Cons

If you don't like travel, moving every two to three years and prefer a more stable lifestyle then this isn't the job for you. I have lived in four different countries and have deployed to combat zones five times. So go in with your eyes open, it really is the toughest job you'll ever love.

Performance reports and stratification should be based on current year's performance and not on previous school attendance, below the zone promotions or other events that occurred outside of the reporting period.

Fantastic 20 years. Ready to transition into my next career challenge.

Current Employee - Acquisition Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Acquisition Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

17 years of top notch program management experience and three years of prior operational experience. Unmatched camaraderie. Unique mission. Fantastic benefits. Lifelong network.

Cons

20 years went by too quickly; however, make the most of your training and experience. It translates ideally into your follow-on transition.

Start the transition process early so you don't get caught flat footed when it comes time. Work on your VA benefits early, go to the Doc often. Take the Ruehlin course (yes, I plugged it; but it's definitely worth it - and I'm not even a Navy guy!).

Served 22 years in the world's best Air Force!

Former Employee - Director of Operations
    Former Employee - Director of Operations

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Camaraderie, strong work ethic and integrity.

Cons

Don't always get to go where you want but it usually turns out just fine.

Don't forget where you came from.

Excellent opportunities for career advancement, health care, education and live and travel abroad!

Former Employee - Superintendent, Client Systems Services in Hurlburt Field, FL
    Former Employee - Superintendent, Client Systems Services in Hurlburt Field, FL

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I'm retired as a former Client Systems Technician (3D1X1). The squadron will pay to give you most IT certifications such as CompTIA A+ and Security+. Communication Squadron's budget is very good and can obtain the latest tech tools and gadgets to strengthen your skills in the IT field. Travelling and living abroad is an awesome experience! Health care for you and your family is very good and affordable. Education benefits are excellent. Tuition assistance will cover practically all costs of taking a class. Making lasting friendships.

Cons

Deployments can be rough especially if you're married and have young children Changes in policies and procedures are frequent. Ask to do additional duties can take a toll on your primary job not getting done. As a supervisor, I want to take care of my people that I lead to do the job. Doing those additional duties takes that away.

Enlisted Airman

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Early responsibility; outstanding training; unmatched retirement program and health benefits; values

Cons

Frequent relocation, travel, overseas deployments

Adventure filled career!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

26 year career filled with amazing once in a lifetime adventures. I truly loved my time wearing the uniform.

Cons

Like any large organization the AF is not immune to well-intentioned policies that don't seem to work as designed.

Listen to your Wing Commanders. They will tell you what's really going on.

great job`

Current Employee - Electrician in Tinker AFB, OK
    Current Employee - Electrician in Tinker AFB, OK

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good working conditions, good equipment.

Cons

not enough personal to the work

listen to employees

26 years of service...no regrets!

Former Employee - First Sergeant/Human Resources Manager in Goldsboro, NC
    Former Employee - First Sergeant/Human Resources Manager in Goldsboro, NC

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic atmosphere provides opportunities to challenge and grow professionals.

Cons

Time away from family required,. This will test the strength of one's relationships. .

People are our greatest asset, don't ever take them for granted.

Joined out of high school to travel and learn a trade. Accomplished both in the seven years I spent on active duty.

Former Employee - Avionics Technician
    Former Employee - Avionics Technician

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some amazing co-workers, decent pay, great starting point to launch a career, great educational benefits, opportunities to live over seas.

Cons

leadership can be cut throat and worry about their next promotion rather than what's good for others. Long hours, it's hard to get discharged unless you do drugs or fail a few pt tests! Some people think that is a pro but it promotes laziness and plenty of airman skate by and collect the same paycheck as you every month.

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

it has been a good company

Cons

sequestration is killing the day to day execution-