US Air Force Reviews

4,192 Reviews

US Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh
General Mark A. Welsh
1,492 Ratings

Pros
  • Free medical and dental care for yourself and extremely cheap dental care for your family (in 124 reviews)

• The Air Force has great benefits for during and after your time in the service (in 277 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing i can think of as a negative is the time spent away from family (in 304 reviews)

• Some long hours at times, but thats more than to be expected in this career field (in 364 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic 30 year career!

Former Employee - Multiple in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Multiple in Washington, DC

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities and growth potential and development; diversity of worldwide locations; full spectrum of operations, exercises and programs.
    "The U.S. Air Force provides air support for surface forces and aids in the recovery of troops in the field. As of 2012, the service operates more than 5,638 aircraft, 450 ICBMs and 63 satellites. It has a $140 billion budget with 332,854 active duty personnel, 185,522 civilian personnel, 71,400 Air Force Reserve personnel, and 106,700 Air National Guard personnel"

Cons

Moving every 2-3 years (at best); combat deployments; strange base locations. Armed conflicts, humanitarian operations, budget cuts/sequestration; congressionally mandated continuing resolutions.

"REWARDING"

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse culture, Great work-home balance, and endless opportunities to improve on career as well as an individual.

Cons

Some leadership could focus more on developing subordinates.

CV-22 Avionics Backshop Team Leader/Programs Manager

Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Clovis, NM
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Clovis, NM

I have been working at US Air Force as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Training that transfers to many positions in the civilian sector.

Cons

Many training gaps emerge when transitioning from military to civilian sector.

Most rewarding and enlightening experience as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces.

I worked at US Air Force

Pros

I met some people during my career who changed my life. I am certainly proud to be able to call them my friends for life.

Cons

The only setback is occassionally having to leave my family for extended periods of time.

As long as our leaders remember to keep the the most important resource, the people, as its focus, the organization will be continue to successful.

Retiring after 20 years

Current Employee - USAF Pilot in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - USAF Pilot in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love the USAF. It will be hard to finally say goodbye. I would recommend to anyone looking to serve something greater than themselves.

Cons

Long hours, long work weeks, extended deployments, not treated in accordance with ability but in accordance with seniority

Take care of people and people will execute the mission professionally in the most challenging and ambiguous of circumstances.

Good place to work wit good pay and benefits. There are a lot of jobs in oklahoma but most don't pay well.

Current Employee - Aircraft Engine Worker in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Aircraft Engine Worker in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair compensation for oklahoma, and the environment and pace is pretty good.

Cons

It can be extremely boring. Its like watching paint dry sometimes. The culture is not very cutting edge. People are much more into maintaining the status quo than being the best.

Pay more attention to who works hard and who doesn't. It seems like oneone really cares if you are a slug or a top producer.

Overall enjoyed time as an Air Reserve Technician

I worked at US Air Force full-time

Pros

The people and the mission. Decent benefits. TTwo

Cons

Negatives were only evident toward the end

Trust your people

I accomplished nearly everything I set out to when I first joined and then some.

Former Employee - TSgt USAF in Langley AFB, VA
    Former Employee - TSgt USAF in Langley AFB, VA

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best reason to join; Real world changing opportunities, and then Education.

Cons

"Do more with less." No words have damaged the moral and integrity of all that was accomplished than these.

Stop expecting more for nothing. AFSO 21 is based on Six Sigma philosophies and this runs contrary to that.

A good place to start

Current Employee - Production Superintendent in Summerville, SC
    Current Employee - Production Superintendent in Summerville, SC

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best part about working for the Air Force is the job security. If you want an opportunity to receive excellent training with the option for a career the Air Force is a great place to look.

Cons

The biggest challenge in the Air Force is the time away from the family. As a young Airman the travel is amazing but after 20 years the idea of leaving the family for another 6 months begins to grind on members.

I would advise management to put people first. The recent past has shown that management prioritizes technology over people. If you continue down this road you will find it difficult to retain good talent.

Financial Management and Comptroller

Current Employee - Financial Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Travel opportunities, great medical care, and takes great care of families. Better base facilities than the other services, and less deployments than the Army and Navy. Pays for schooling (either Master's or technical/certification type of training

Cons

Deployments apart from family, constant moving, the farther up in rank you go the less choice you have in where you go and what you do.