US Air Force

4.1 3,643 reviews

US Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh

General Mark A. Welsh

(1,239 ratings)

Pros
  • You will have the opportunity to travel and continue your education(in 144 reviews)

• Currently government pay and benefits are better than their civilian counterparts(in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing i can think of as a negative is the time spent away from family(in 270 reviews)

• As with any maintenance USAF career field expect long hours, with little reward(in 326 reviews)

3,643 Employee Reviews

Traditional Air Force culture is changing

Senior Officer (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsTop quality work force, good pay and health benefits, people who focus on continuously improving themselves and their organization will be rewarded with promotions and highly desirable duty locations.

ConsAfter several years of government civilian and contractor cuts, the military members are now experiencing severe cuts in many career fields and left the overall morale of the force the lowest it has been in years. After pledging to make one-year of deep cuts to minimize the level of amount of stress the force would have to endure, Air Force leadership recently announced a second round of presonnel cuts will be required.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter years of doing 'more with less' the perceived expectation of leadership at the base, command and headquarters level is that few have the morale courage to make the really tough choices on how to save money. The obvious answer is to avoid general across-the-board budget cuts and halt procurement of new weapon systems until federal budget funding stabilizes.

great place

E4 - Air Force - Senior Airman (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

Prosgood benefits for family and medical

Conspreference out rules reasoning sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementdo better

My 24 years in the Air Force has been great.

ICBM Maintenance (Current Employee) Cheyenne, WY

ProsIn ICBM maintenance you can have a very stable career because you don't have to move from base to base.

ConsThe ICBM bases are in remote northern areas of the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Go Air Force!

ProsThe Air Force by far is the most superior branch of the military in terms of quality of life.
    They treat their people 100 times better than any branch of the military as evidenced by my twenty years and five deployments. I saw the living conditions of all branches of the military and by far the AF exceeds them in every way.

ConsTheir fitness management program is absolutely ridiculous.
    It is too much in flux and it is not consistent. Going overboard one year and underwhelming the next.
    It ends people's careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of everyone trying to make Chief they need to remember to take care of their people.
    The old saying is "I can't fall on my sword for that problem".... I have been left to ask in career in the face of worthy problems...what else is your sword for other than to fall on it on behalf of your people?

Outstanding and very rewarding experience

Airman (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsWorthy work all around the world.

ConsDeployments and time away from family

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

It's what you make it

Cyber Surety Craftsman (Current Employee) Seoul (South Korea)

ProsMilitary lifestyle isn't for everyone. Not all jobs deploy often, not all jobs have the most amount of places to be stationed, but if you find a job you like, using the military as a springboard to a civilian career is a great opportunity.

ConsMoving around the country every 1-4 years can be frustrating. The low ranks can be challenging until you make E4 and up. If your job deploys, being away from home/family can take it's toll on you and add up to a lot of stress.

You get out of it....what you put into it.

Enlisted Leader (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsTimes are tough all over and that includes the Air Force. However there are opportunities a plenty and for someone with drive, passion, and a whole lot energy the doors will be opened. Some locations and bosses are better than others, but the name of the game is persistence and so for those who don't give up....they are rewarded.

ConsSacrificing is not just a word we use, its something we must do everyday.....that means sacrificing in every aspect of your life (i.e. time, family, personal goals, etc...).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe key to long-term success in the Air Force is balancing between work and life. The times that one must sacrifice...then sacrifice; but other times take care of oneself and family.

Opportunities are only limited by you.

Aircraft Maintenance Superintendent (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe Air Force has provided training and experience no other occupation could touch. Best decision I have every made.

ConsYou must be willing to go where and when you are needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is ultimately the President of the United States and Congress. I would like to say we are all in good hands, but cannot. At least things move through our government so slow it is difficult for any one person or administration to do permanent damage (although several have given it a good college try).

Great Benefits

Military Program Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBenefits, education opportunties, Skill building

ConsDeployments, decesion making, force reductions

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on People and information sharing.

Rewarding

Electronic Warfare Instructor (Current Employee) Sheppard AFB, TX

ProsExperience, Vacation, Healthcare, Network, and Salary.

ConsYou are Government property and sometimes you have to remember that the AF comes first.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways watch over your airman!

Worked for US Air Force? Contribute to the Community!