US Air Force Reviews

3,876 Reviews

US Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh
General Mark A. Welsh
1,348 Ratings

Pros
  • You will have the opportunity to travel and continue your education (in 144 reviews)

• Currently government pay and benefits are better than their civilian counterparts (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing i can think of as a negative is the time spent away from family (in 270 reviews)

• As with any maintenance USAF career field expect long hours, with little reward (in 326 reviews)

More Highlights

Aimed High. Left satisfied

Current Employee - Squadron Commander  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Squadron Commander in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensation was good to outstanding at times. At other times it was well behind civilian equivalents. At the time of my retirement I was probably 30-40% behind my civilian peers with similar education and experience. Working with folks from a myriad of backgrounds helped build a great frame of reference for transitioning into the civilian community. Inclusion and tolerance (especially for/towards the LGBT community) increased immensely in 20+ years.

Cons

Promotion opportunities were shrinking quickly. The "Do More With Less" concept had been applied for so long that the expectation was that we could do anything with nothing. Recent budget cuts had us bringing in our own printer paper and our own toilet paper.

Listen to your NCO's. They're not bottlenecks. They're there to keep you out of trouble. They're there to give you the pulse of your people.

Air Force

Former Employee - E5 - Air Force - Staff Sergeant  in  Goldsboro, NC
    Former Employee - E5 - Air Force - Staff Sergeant in Goldsboro, NC

I worked at US Air Force as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Financial stability, new friendships, travel, and benefits.

Cons

Meager promotion system, feeble performance evaluation report system, unequitable physical training tests, unrewarding, multiple supervisors, undue stress, negativity, senseless deployments, and finally...dealing with the Veterans Administration and Veteran Affairs as a veteran.

Completely overhaul the promotion system, readjust performance reports to reflect more job related accomplishments, redesign physical performance test towards combat, boast morale and production by rewarding Airman, stop micro-managing

Active Duty review: Outstanding mission/training opportunities are countered w/ byzantine personnel policies/management.

Current Employee - O3 - Air Force - Captain  in  Ramstein (Germany)
    Current Employee - O3 - Air Force - Captain in Ramstein (Germany)

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Predictable, comprehensive compensation/benefits; generous defined retirement benefits; relative job security; comprehensive training for entry level positions (officer and enlisted); unparalleled travel opportunities; genuine, fulfilling mission in national defense; majority of individuals are service/mission oriented, smart, and a pleasure to work with; generous time off, mission permitting; Airmen/Air Force culture tend to exhibit more of what I call "common sense" than what I perceive to be the norm in sister services; unparalleled breadth of leadership and technical opportunities versus private sector.

Cons

Careers are typically developed with the intention of becoming broadly experienced versus an expert--this is good for a carpenter, but bad for a cyberspace operator; force draw downs and more additional duty programs equates to increased workloads for fewer people; personnel policy, budgets, and organizational structure are defined by Congress, the President, the Department of Defense, and various other agencies--as examples, sequestration, manpower reductions, mandated maintenance of archaic infrastructure and equipment versus investment in modernization, personnel policies instituted as political tools versus for the benefit of the armed services, even something as mundane as what uniform we wear on which day--all of the strategic level politics can make the tactical level job challenging, or at times, nonsensical; an alarming shift of organizational focus to careerism/entitlement, versus service/idealism-orientation (warriors focused on their pay or how to make the next grade are not focused about how to become better).

In most reviews on this site, the failure and mismanagement of the organization can only result in the economic failure of that organization. If the Air Force fails, the consequences will be catastrophic and could reverberate across the entire world. We need to invest in understanding and becoming the cutting edge of leadership, culture, communication, ethics, and mission effectiveness...not just equipment, as we sometimes seem to only advocate on the news. There is more to officer professional development than career progression; there is more to ethics than a professional military education course; there is more to healthy retention than personnel numbers analyzed by year groups; there is more to command fitness than requisite policy letters and performance on inspections. Invest in modernizing across the entire spectrum of operations, versus just equipment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, especially medical an educational. Unique experiences.

Cons

Inherent risks, inefficiencies. Bureaucratic culture

Great Opportunities...especially if you work hard

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

All things considered, the pay and benefits are pretty good. How many employers pay your housing, medical, dental, and pay for 3 years of college when you get out?

Cons

Constantly being asked to do more with less. Some career fields spend more time on the road than at home. This can be difficult for families.

Stop talking about "the things we are going to stop doing" and identify what they are.

Great people. Tough fiscal environment.

Former Employee - Division Chief  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Division Chief in Washington, DC

I worked at US Air Force full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most folks very focus on mission. Culture and commitment are great. Leadership is struggling under unreasonable pressure from Congress.

Cons

Political concerns are driving many of the decisions. These short term decisions will have lasting impacts. We're trying to get through Congress but will sacrifice capability in the long run.

List to mid-level folks. They are the technical experts doing the heavy lifting.

My experience in the Air Force was that of a roller coaster ride...lots of good, some bad turns, but overall thrilling.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clovis, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clovis, NM

I worked at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The compensation is amazing. They pay for your housing expenses, give a stipend for meals, provide excellent reocurring training, and have the most amazing leadership throughout all levels. The Air Force's core values are top notch and enstill integrity, excellence, and selfless service.

Cons

On the flip side, any level could have the most inefficiant leadership, training, work schedule, location, competencies or a combination of any and all. It all depends on where you may get stationed...be prepared to give up major life decisions in any military branch - you are told where to go and what to do at all times; but, this could be considered a Pro depending on the person.

It's what you make of it.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Peterson AFB, CO
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Peterson AFB, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Medical benefits, 30 days paid vacation a year, educational benefits, salary

Cons

at least a four year contract, no input in duty station, no individualism. Some workcenters are micromanagers. Negative work area spreads. A lot of patients (dependents, AD, retirees) in the clinic feel entitled.

Take care of your people.

Good company not for everyone

Current Employee - Crew Chief  in  Shaw AFB, SC
    Current Employee - Crew Chief in Shaw AFB, SC

I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

too many to list. word5

Cons

must give up some of your own freedoms

Wish I could have stayed in longer

Former Employee - Enlisted Aircraft Maintenance
    Former Employee - Enlisted Aircraft Maintenance

I worked at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary was good. Benefits were awesome. You are in control of your success.

Cons

Deployments, being available around the clock 24/7.

Stop the drawdown, working more with less...

Worked for US Air Force? Contribute to the Community!