US Air Force

4,443 Reviews

US Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh
General Mark A. Welsh
1,605 Ratings

Pros
  • Free medical and dental care for yourself and extremely cheap dental care for your family (in 132 reviews)

• The Air Force has great benefits for during and after your time in the service (in 293 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing i can think of as a negative is the time spent away from family (in 315 reviews)

• Some long hours at times, but thats more than to be expected in this career field (in 384 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved my job but wasn't meant for the military

I worked at US Air Force

Pros

I loved my job
    My coworkers were all great people
    The opportunity to go overseas was great

Cons

A lot of your managers will let you down
    The military lifestyle isn't for everybody
    Hours suck but hey it's the military

If you're capable of operating under stress, this is the job for you

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Good pay, Provides essential building blocks for your foundation as someone's future employee, great benefits. They will develop you into a leader.

Cons

Work-life balance. Stress which can make or break some

Listen to employees instead of just encouraging ideas which are dismissed. Things go down the chain of command very quickly while communication up the chain is anything but quick unless when already in crisis mode. Do not be afraid to hear bad news. Do not shoot the messenger.

Great loved the benefits

I worked at US Air Force

Pros

Benefits and pay is ok college

Cons

Deploying and not meant for family oriented people

Work culture is something completely different from the private sector.

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Retirement after 20 years, 30 days paid leave a year, paid relocation costs, free medical care.

Cons

Numerous relocations, deployments 6 months at a time, micro-management, broken promotion system.

Civil Service is stable work

I have been working at US Air Force (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job security is incredibly high. The benefits are solid, and the hours are reasonable. There is a lot of time off provided for illness and leisure.

Cons

The pay is below industry. The bureaucracy severely limits what you can accomplish in a timely manner. Pay raises come by virtue of showing up and breathing, not performance.

Provide real incentives for high performance, and a real chance to be fired for poor performance.

Great People, Great Mission

Current Employee - Acquisition Program Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Acquisition Program Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is nothing like the pride that comes with service and working in the uniformed military community. Exceptional efforts every day to accomplish the mission driven by that professional dedication to the mission and to each other. Benefits which are truly second to none.

Cons

Under-resourced for the missions we are tasked to do. Senior leadership in uniform and at the civilian level has become exceptionally political and this is corroding the moral and capability of the organization. An aging fleet of capital assets in desperate need of modernization with no clear vision of what that means and a dwindling workforce of qualified people to do it.

No job security any more. No feedback on why some groups are getting cut.

Stop purging people! Start telling them the truth. If the uniformed members are willing to put their lives on the line for the mission the least you can do is stop the double-speak and give us no-BS answers as to what is going on in the service.

Great benefits, and I love my job.

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Benefits... While they still exist.

Cons

100% No life separation from work,

Chief Enlisted Manager

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Security, honor of serving my country. Education, health and dental benefits. The values and integrity plus the pride that is instilled as a team. mThe Air Force gives you a sense of pride that no other company can provide. Equal opportunity for promotion.

Cons

Long periods away from the family. Long work hours at times. Deployments for 6 to 12 months at a time.

It was a thrill of a lifetime!

Former Employee - Aircraft Armament Systems Specialist
    Former Employee - Aircraft Armament Systems Specialist

I worked at US Air Force (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason for working with the USAF is that you work on high performance aircraft. There is nothing like the thrill of ensuring these aircraft are maintained at peak performance levels.

Cons

The major challenge working with the USAF these days is the uptempo deployment schedule. A lot of birthdays and Christmases with families are spent in far off lands.

Upper level management needs to not take advantage of those assigned to their care. Sometimes all they see is a promotion or award for themselves and their airmen pay the price so that they get what they desire.

Average employment with average pay, limited growth opportunity balanced by continual work.

Current Employee - General Engineer
    Current Employee - General Engineer

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many educational opportunities online and occasionally in-residence
    Above average benefits (401k, leave, insurance)
    Depending on location, duties can be quite fulfilling (engineering multimillion dollar projects)
    Positions all over the US, frequent group communications making networking easy

Cons

Very limited growth potential within positions, promotion requires taking a new position (when & where available)
    Tremendous amounts of bureaucracy in daily activities (20+ different web applications just to manage employment profile)
    Cushy performance reviews leaves far too many complacent underachieving coworkers
    Required reductions in force and footprint currently squeezing employment opportunities

Invest more in the employees, Government bottom lines never change and aren't as pressing as everyone's leadership likes to believe. It's "okay" to call something out as redundant in the Government, recognize what's actually best for the taxpayer, not what's easiest.