US Airways

Updated March 17, 2014

3.4

US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • I left to have my children but still miss the camaraderie and flight benefits (in 67 reviews)

• Flight benefits if you can get on a flight, health benefits are great and in general the people that work there (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • The salaries are laughable at best and good luck using your flight benefits (in 14 reviews)

• long hours, not alot of work / life balance until you have some seniority (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I love it.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Benefits
    Culture
    Benefits
    Training
    People tend to love their job for the most part.

Cons

Compensation to start is a bit low.

Fleet Service Agent

Current Employee - Fleet Service Agent  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Fleet Service Agent in Charlotte, NC

Pros

It is a good company to work for

Cons

Nothing to bad to say.

Things are changing...

Current Employee - CSA - Administrative  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - CSA - Administrative in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Travel benefits are awesome. I flew to Europe about 3-4 times a year...also flew to Middle East. Good discounts. Good volunteer / community relations program. Good benefits: paid vacation, 401k w/matching, health...even for part time employees.

Cons

Constant fear of being laid off or furloughed - especially with AA merger. If you are non-contract, your manager can fire you at any time without notice. Terrible management, at corporate and at small out-stations. Unfair labor practices, discrimination towards women and disabled employees. Manager overheard discussing health problems and personal issues. Inconsistent and conflicting information and communication...especially on employee website (Wings). Managers 'hoard' information so as to have more power. Low wages: my part time pay was below the poverty line. However, a new hire doing the same job was paid $2 an hour more. wth? No training programs....you just have to figure things out, then get written up for making mistakes. Procedures and company policies are unclear and not consistent. HR unwilling to hear about actual practices in the workplace. High stress. Many hours of overtime work that I was not compensated for. Low morale in some workgroups, bordering on a hostile work environment.

Where on earth do you find your middle managers??? Some of the worst station managers / shift mangers I have ever seen: unfair, inept, incompetent, and clueless. Do more audits. Visit smaller stations. Listen to front line and customer-facing employees...especially senior employees. When employees express concerns and/or complaints about the same things, regarding the same managers...it is usually true. Adopt new management criteria during AA merger. Don't mislead or lie to loyal employees. Don't discriminate just because you don't 'like' someone. Be fair and be honest.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved my job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

I appreciated the benefits; health, dental, 401K, flight, etc..

Cons

It doesn't matter how much you put in or give to the company, the good deeds don't matter when you make a mistake. Especially when you're not in the union. Management can cut you for any reason they want.

Take some time to know your front line people before passing judgement on then.

Nice company to work for but the industry is demanding. Aircraft maintenance is based on problem resolution.

Current Employee - Maintenance  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Senior leadership is excellent

Cons

Tight work deadlines and a lot of pressure to perform well.

The airline industry is not what it seems to be

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The perks are great, but with all the full flights it is still hard to fly to places without being left at the gate. Has promising future with the merge of being the largest airline in the world.

Cons

miscommunication with scheduling, old systems, outdated uniforms.

Train new flight attendants on scheduling because that is our life line of understanding the process

Working at us airways is a great experience

Current Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Everyone is friendly and willing to help you out. They teach you a lot and its fairly simple.
    There are also a lot of career opportunities with the company.

Cons

You have to work under bad weather conditions.

Would be better if the company could work around school schedules.

Aircraft Line Maintenance

Former Employee - Aircraft Line Mechanic  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Aircraft Line Mechanic in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Referring to the "CONS", the years of Pittsburgh fat, waste and arrogance is long gone! If you can tolerate the mediocre wages and benefits, the present environment remains calm. But, with a merger and contract negotiations in-the-works and like so many other periods during my 30 years, the balance of this period of calm can and has been toppled in a single day.

Cons

Like MOST other airlines and the industry itself, the list of cons is LONG and particularly the post-Piedmont/US Air merger in August of 1989. Although Piedmont was a pseudo-decent place to work, it still fostered to mirror the tolerance of BOTH airlines to harbor an uncomfortable number of fellow co-workers...who get away with anything their personal agenda requires.

TODAYS US Airways is a better place and this is solely due to the fact that the years of Pittsburgh fat and arrogance is long gone. Unfortunately, so is the money to pay their mechanics a respectable wage. Even today and on the onset of yet ANOTHER round of merger-mania with American Airlines AND a long expired collective bargaining agreement between the company and the not-so-illustrious I.A.W. & A.W.,the future will indeed resemble the past at the present. (Think MINDLESS and NEEDLESS work stoppages by the I.A.M & A.W. in October of 1993) A STRIKE..."just because!"

Passion industry, people work here for more then just the money

Current Employee - Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Highly motivated people who are fun to be around

Cons

Some people are in positions that they shouldnt be in

Give you talent a chance to help make a difference

Give US a chance

Current Employee - Customer Assistance Representative  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Assistance Representative in Charlotte, NC

Pros

We are getting better I feel since I started a year ago. I just hope that we can settle the contract before we merge again. US Airways offers domestic partner benefits and scores high with HRC. Managers are better at keeping us informed each day with that is expected of us and listens to our feedback.

Cons

Pay. Everything is by seniority so hard to move up easily or transfer to another position quickly.

Keep an eye out for those that go above and beyond. Stop micromanaging.

Worked for US Airways? Contribute to the Community!