US Airways

US Airways Reviews in Charlotte, NC

Updated Mar 17, 2014

US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker

Doug Parker

Pros
  • I left to have my children but still miss the camaraderie and flight benefits (in 67 reviews)

• Flight benefits if you can get on a flight, health benefits are great and in general the people that work there (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • The salaries are laughable at best and good luck using your flight benefits (in 14 reviews)

• long hours, not alot of work / life balance until you have some seniority (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I love it.

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsBenefits
    Culture
    Benefits
    Training
    People tend to love their job for the most part.

ConsCompensation to start is a bit low.

Fleet Service Agent

Fleet Service Agent (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsIt is a good company to work for

ConsNothing to bad to say.

I loved my job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI appreciated the benefits; health, dental, 401K, flight, etc..

ConsIt doesn't matter how much you put in or give to the company, the good deeds don't matter when you make a mistake. Especially when you're not in the union. Management can cut you for any reason they want.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to know your front line people before passing judgement on then.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Things are changing...

CSA - Administrative (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsTravel benefits are awesome. I flew to Europe about 3-4 times a year...also flew to Middle East. Good discounts. Good volunteer / community relations program. Good benefits: paid vacation, 401k w/matching, health...even for part time employees.

ConsConstant fear of being laid off or furloughed - especially with AA merger. If you are non-contract, your manager can fire you at any time without notice. Terrible management, at corporate and at small out-stations. Unfair labor practices, discrimination towards women and disabled employees. Manager overheard discussing health problems and personal issues. Inconsistent and conflicting information and communication...especially on employee website (Wings). Managers 'hoard' information so as to have more power. Low wages: my part time pay was below the poverty line. However, a new hire doing the same job was paid $2 an hour more. wth? No training programs....you just have to figure things out, then get written up for making mistakes. Procedures and company policies are unclear and not consistent. HR unwilling to hear about actual practices in the workplace. High stress. Many hours of overtime work that I was not compensated for. Low morale in some workgroups, bordering on a hostile work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere on earth do you find your middle managers??? Some of the worst station managers / shift mangers I have ever seen: unfair, inept, incompetent, and clueless. Do more audits. Visit smaller stations. Listen to front line and customer-facing employees...especially senior employees. When employees express concerns and/or complaints about the same things, regarding the same managers...it is usually true. Adopt new management criteria during AA merger. Don't mislead or lie to loyal employees. Don't discriminate just because you don't 'like' someone. Be fair and be honest.

Nice company to work for but the industry is demanding. Aircraft maintenance is based on problem resolution.

Maintenance (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGood pay and benefits. Senior leadership is excellent

ConsTight work deadlines and a lot of pressure to perform well.

The airline industry is not what it seems to be

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe perks are great, but with all the full flights it is still hard to fly to places without being left at the gate. Has promising future with the merge of being the largest airline in the world.

Consmiscommunication with scheduling, old systems, outdated uniforms.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain new flight attendants on scheduling because that is our life line of understanding the process

Working at us airways is a great experience

Ramp Agent (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsEveryone is friendly and willing to help you out. They teach you a lot and its fairly simple.
    There are also a lot of career opportunities with the company.

ConsYou have to work under bad weather conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be better if the company could work around school schedules.

Aircraft Line Maintenance

Aircraft Line Mechanic (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsReferring to the "CONS", the years of Pittsburgh fat, waste and arrogance is long gone! If you can tolerate the mediocre wages and benefits, the present environment remains calm. But, with a merger and contract negotiations in-the-works and like so many other periods during my 30 years, the balance of this period of calm can and has been toppled in a single day.

ConsLike MOST other airlines and the industry itself, the list of cons is LONG and particularly the post-Piedmont/US Air merger in August of 1989. Although Piedmont was a pseudo-decent place to work, it still fostered to mirror the tolerance of BOTH airlines to harbor an uncomfortable number of fellow co-workers...who get away with anything their personal agenda requires.

TODAYS US Airways is a better place and this is solely due to the fact that the years of Pittsburgh fat and arrogance is long gone. Unfortunately, so is the money to pay their mechanics a respectable wage. Even today and on the onset of yet ANOTHER round of merger-mania with American Airlines AND a long expired collective bargaining agreement between the company and the not-so-illustrious I.A.W. & A.W.,the future will indeed resemble the past at the present. (Think MINDLESS and NEEDLESS work stoppages by the I.A.M & A.W. in October of 1993) A STRIKE..."just because!"

Give US a chance

Customer Assistance Representative (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsWe are getting better I feel since I started a year ago. I just hope that we can settle the contract before we merge again. US Airways offers domestic partner benefits and scores high with HRC. Managers are better at keeping us informed each day with that is expected of us and listens to our feedback.

ConsPay. Everything is by seniority so hard to move up easily or transfer to another position quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye out for those that go above and beyond. Stop micromanaging.

Passion industry, people work here for more then just the money

Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsHighly motivated people who are fun to be around

ConsSome people are in positions that they shouldnt be in

Advice to Senior ManagementGive you talent a chance to help make a difference

Worked for US Airways? Contribute to the Community!