US Airways Reviews

Reset

1. Good place to start your career...not competitive pay...fairly disorganized

Former Employee - Senior Commodity Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Commodity Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a good place to start a career because you get to work for a large organization that is in a pretty interesting industry. There are some good people in the organization that if you can work with them, it's an enjoyable time. The executive team is very engaged and they are all very approachable. They seem to be very intelligent and have a strong vision for the direction of the company. Health benefits were pretty good while I was there. Profit sharing was a neat plus, though not huge. Promotions are available, but due to high churn.

Cons

Unfortunately that executive vision seems to be lost as you dive down the management hierarchy. There are a lot of people in middle-upper management that have no real management experience and have only moved up through the organization from seniority that cause a lot of organizational issues and inefficient processes to break down. As a result, there is a lot of churn below them because employees just do not enjoy the work they are doing. Also, this results in a lot of internal teams not working well together. Pay is definitely below what you could get in the same role in another industry. There are also high levels of turnover/churn.

Advice to Management

Work to increase margins so you can compensate people at the same levels they can get outside of the airline industry...the flight benefits just aren't worth as much now that load factors are so high. Implement a 360 review program to start forcing some of the middle-upper management to change and improve. Support your frontline employees and trust them to do what you hired them to do. Continue staying engaged as an executive team. Doing the town halls, quarterly visits, and just generally being human and accessible is nice compared to the rest of corporate America.

2. Great people and benefits.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good airline to work for aviation professionals. Nice flight benefit program. Ideal geographic location for outdoor activities. Conveniently located in Tempe.

Cons

Offers little or no OJT. Buildings had pest control issues at times. Critical software programs needed updating to industry standards.

Advice to Management

Turnover training needs improvement.

A great place to spend a career

Former Employee - Pilot in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Pilot in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

growth opportunity, great colleagues and good benefits

Cons

tough hours and time away from family

Advice to Management

take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers and ultimately the company

Worst Company Every!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Coworkers, Free Flights, Corporate Location

Cons

Management is terrible. Pay is even worse. The company does not care about its employes in anyway possible

Advice to Management

Go to college

Aerospace Engineering Intern Position Review

Former Intern - Engineering in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Engineering in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Airways as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits. Period. There was nothing else. If in the right department, you might meet some good natured people.

Cons

This was the worst work experience I have ever had. 1. Most of the 'engineers' there are A&P Mechanics who have worked there long enough to become 'engineers'. There is really not a whole lot of engineering going on. There is a lot more part tracking and just schedule management going on. However, during the internship interview, they did not mention that. When you hire THE BEST 'Aerospace Engineering Students' from some of the best engineering DESIGN schools, you need to be aware that they are much more qualified for the work that is being given to them. 2. The supervisor and the engineers I worked with have the most difficult time writing cohesive sentences. Their grammar and their fluency in the language is definitely questionable. That being said, it would have been OK if their attitude was OK. My supervisor had the most hostile attitude. An example: During Good Friday, it was half day. He half-jokingly smiled at me and said interns don't get half day. I stayed 30 mins longer and then the lights in the office were being switched off and the whole office was deserted. If there was work to be done, I would have stayed. I had been there for almost two months, and all I was given is a 'Boeing 737 handbook' to read over. I got done with it the first week and didn't have any work to do for over a month! So, I left that day after 30 mins. During my final review, he stated that 'I did not listen to the supervisor'.

Advice to Management

Know your company. Your company does not require cream of the crop aerospace engineering students. An actual engineering job has to involve some hands-on work/design/innovation. All your work has already been documented in the plethora of ES/EA documents. Your engineering team is a joke. Please rename it or at least have the honesty to hire A&P students, and not shatter the hopes of an engineering student.

Flight Attendant

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel benefits are amazing! Co workers are great! Employees all get along very well, fun atmosphere where everyone is like a family.

Cons

Management is horrible! They only look out for themselves. While I worked there me and many of my coworkers were paid just above poverty level. CEO and company execs, fought over giving us raises. While they reaped millions in annual bonuses.

Advice to Management

The business is a people business, take better care of your human capitol

8. 2 contracts as SQL Database Administrator

Former Contractor - SQL Database Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - SQL Database Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Airways as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Environment is relatively current technology.

Cons

Constant structure changes from mergers.

Good , Bad and Interesting...

Current Employee - Anonymous Worker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Worker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at US Airways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel privileges; people; can flex time off with coworkers but not too often.

Cons

Cliques and some management say they are empowered but are not. HR sometimes hires the wrong people by who they know or by certain affiliations. work-life balance skewed. Pay raises. Got a union but no raises in years. The union doesn't suck but the workforce that dragged their feet while a merger went on with American Airlines did.

Advice to Management

Stop nepotism but neighborhood and spiritual affiliations and lifestyle ones and get the best people for the job and stop union busting. Made promises to merging employees we know from US Air that are too good to be true. Senior Execs get 400-500% pay increases while people on ground and in air fight to get $ and get nothing.

Reservation call center

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good - able to fly right away.

Cons

Environment was toxic! No Job Joy! Always reminded that there were MANY other people that would be willing take your place. YOU do not matter - the customers really don't matter - just make sure your sales are up and your call times were down. There are many agents that have been there far to long - very rude to customers - there were many times when I cringed listening to the agents being rude to customers on the phone. I was actually scolded because I said - "Is there anything else that I can help you with today?" Noun -verb - period. That does not always work. There should always be an exception to that rule.

Advice to Management

Make the agents feel like they matter - a little bit..... Treat the customers better. Make sure the supervisors are qualified to supervise......

11. A very professional and friendly place to work.

Current Employee - Intern in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Intern in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at US Airways part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy how helpful all the other people in the office are when you are learning new tasks.

Cons

The training manuals are sometimes outdated.

RSS Feed </> Embed