US Airways Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
3.4

US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • I left to have my children but still miss the camaraderie and flight benefits (in 67 reviews)

• Flight benefits if you can get on a flight, health benefits are great and in general the people that work there (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • The salaries are laughable at best and good luck using your flight benefits (in 14 reviews)

• long hours, not alot of work / life balance until you have some seniority (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

USAirways Flight Attendant for fourteen years.

Former Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at US Airways full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I loved every aspect of working as a USAirways flight attendant. I resigned when I had a baby so I wouldn't miss a moment of his life.

Cons

There weren't any cons at the time other than not providing child care at the airports.

Take advise from the best CEO of USAIrways, Mr. Colodny.

Flight Attendant US Airways

Former Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at US Airways full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life/balance. Great benefits. Travel perks. Flight Attendant Employee group was great and supportive union.

Cons

The company was always fighting with different employee groups which had a negative impact on the overall morale. Trickled down to the customers in different ways/ poor customer service.

Create a more supportive company culture that values its employees and customers. Southwest and Alaska Air seem to have achieved this and still run profitable companies.

Great people and team, but not enough money.

I have been working at US Airways full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leadership was excellent, and focused. Our team really worked hard to reach goals. But of course, everything changed after the merger. All the sacrifice and hard work we did was used to buy another airline, and now we have rewarded the stock holders not the employees.

Cons

Many challenges, but hardest to overcome was the unlivable salary.

Make salaries competitive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start your career...not competitive pay...fairly disorganized

Former Employee - Senior Commodity Manager  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Commodity Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was a good place to start a career because you get to work for a large organization that is in a pretty interesting industry. There are some good people in the organization that if you can work with them, it's an enjoyable time. The executive team is very engaged and they are all very approachable. They seem to be very intelligent and have a strong vision for the direction of the company. Health benefits were pretty good while I was there. Profit sharing was a neat plus, though not huge. Promotions are available, but due to high churn.

Cons

Unfortunately that executive vision seems to be lost as you dive down the management hierarchy. There are a lot of people in middle-upper management that have no real management experience and have only moved up through the organization from seniority that cause a lot of organizational issues and inefficient processes to break down. As a result, there is a lot of churn below them because employees just do not enjoy the work they are doing. Also, this results in a lot of internal teams not working well together.

Pay is definitely below what you could get in the same role in another industry. There are also high levels of turnover/churn.

Work to increase margins so you can compensate people at the same levels they can get outside of the airline industry...the flight benefits just aren't worth as much now that load factors are so high.

Implement a 360 review program to start forcing some of the middle-upper management to change and improve. Support your frontline employees and trust them to do what you hired them to do.

Continue staying engaged as an executive team. Doing the town halls, quarterly visits, and just generally being human and accessible is nice compared to the rest of corporate America.

Nobody knows anything

Current Employee - Reservations Agent
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent

I have been working at US Airways full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flight benefits for family and friends are good as well as bunches of opportunities for overtime and a really great benefit package.

Cons

No one knows anything about anything. Supervisors know less about policies and procedures than we do. I haven't seen mine or had any form of a review in 4 months

retrain

Anonomous

Current Employee - Reservationist  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Reservationist in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at US Airways full-time

Pros

Family oriented, good travel benefits.

Cons

Low pay and limited job growth

Pay employees what they are worth. Management needs to match similar call center pay rate so employees wont be living in poverty.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at US Airways full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Room for advancement if you are willing to relocate

Cons

Moving from Pittsburgh to Dallas

Plenty of opportunities for those seeking a long-term career

I worked at US Airways full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are plenty of paths for promotion and managers are willing to help those who need some help in getting to where they want to go in their career. The majority of colleagues are hard-working, dedicated and loyal individuals who make coming to work each day interesting and fun.

Cons

Long days of work with no defined schedule.

Always ask the workers on the line what works best and then provide the tools needed before implementing major changes or programs

Great Place to Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at US Airways as an intern for more than a year

Pros

See airplanes in maintenance every day and learn about how they work. Plus interns get standby flights anywhere for free or extremely cheap.

Cons

An interns work consists of mostly paper work and minor data analysis on excel. Engineers will teach you a lot about airplanes though.

Great people and benefits.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good airline to work for aviation professionals. Nice flight benefit program. Ideal geographic location for outdoor activities. Conveniently located in Tempe.

Cons

Offers little or no OJT. Buildings had pest control issues at times. Critical software programs needed updating to industry standards.

Turnover training needs improvement.

Worked for US Airways? Contribute to the Community!