US Airways Reviews

355 reviews filtered by
3.4
US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • I left to have my children but still miss the camaraderie and flight benefits (in 73 reviews)

• Flight benefits if you can get on a flight, health benefits are great and in general the people that work there (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The salaries are laughable at best and good luck using your flight benefits (in 15 reviews)

• The pay was lower than industry average (in 7 reviews)

1. Customer Service Agent

I have been working at US Airways

Pros

Travel, travel, travel! Should be able to say the truth. That's what they are asking for

Cons

Not able to comment to a state you will be based. Do they really think you can survive on $11.00 an hour.

Share with people why or why not they didn't get the job.

2. Quite different than described

Current Employee - Manager Project III Usit in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager Project III Usit in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at US Airways full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As an airline employee you get severely reduced cost scheduled flights, or free flights as long as you can afford to get bumped.
    The interview process for technology personnel certainly weeds out those who shouldn't be hired.
    The group I was in heavily weighs fitting in with the team.

Cons

If you want to actually work and build on your skills, this isn't the place for you. Much of your time will be spent trying to figure out how to make it look like something was done, because your manager has to show progress where none was made.
    The free flights would be great, if you have time to use them. Within the group I worked it was more a case of putting out fires created by the lack of performing any actual work on the systems.
    However, if your personality doesn't fit in with the team, you will likely be looking for a new position very soon.

I was unable to see above my direct manager, so I cannot provide any advice of value to senior management.

3. A Career No!

I worked at US Airways

Pros

Fly for free, when a seat is available which is not often.

Cons

Too long to list, but the fact that every time you turn around more benefits are taken away says it all.

Flush rinse repeat

5. POOR MANAGEMENT..MORE ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE, Instead of EMPLOYEE RELATIONS

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at US Airways full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast interview to training process.

Cons

Unpaid training, instructors slept with students.

RE Structure and Streamline your training process.

Management lack's credibility.

I have been working at US Airways full-time (more than a year)

Pros

OK place if you are a first time worker, but the requirements are ridiculous for how bad the pay is.

Cons

Our managers are terrible, they have zero understanding of business basics, teams are isolated, information is not shared and general competency is out the window. If you are looking to work with women who are all 50 plus and thrilled to make $25k a year this is the place for you. It feels like you are eternally stuck in your department. There are no plans for development or growth of a career path. They hover this carrot of flying for free in front of you but then pay you $25k a year or less and you can't go anywhere.

Has to be advice to executive managers because anyone around the director or mid range level is absolutely atrocious. It can not be understand how incompetent they are. Even our CEO Doug Parker does not understand the basics. Take care of your people, your people are happier, therefore efficiency goes up, when efficiency is up then EPS and Profit Margin improve. CEO 101.

The Reservation Center job is a JOKE!

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at US Airways full-time (less than a year)

Pros

*I would say the travel benefits, but the chances of you actually getting on a plane for free are about 10%, even if you plan and book your ticket based on seats available. Not really a perk if you can't fly.

Cons

Where to start----

* When interviewed for this position I was told that US Airways and after they merge are focused on customer service and agents will not have to worry about call times. That's the only reason I wanted this job and decided to go back to a call center. That was all complete crap.

* Before you start you have to memorize 150+ airport codes, on day 2/3 if you don't make a 90 on the test you'll be let go right that second. You also will have 3 assessments throughout the first 4 weeks of training which you have to make a 85 or higher to keep your job. The on-the-job training for 4 weeks which you have to do great or your fired... then another few weeks of class, which has an assessment and if you fail your fired. I understand companies need some tests to make sure they have a good staff, but threatening firing every 2 seconds isn't a good way to communicate quality to your staff.

* During training class our instructors (who have both been with US Airways for 30+ years) talked every other word about call-time! call-time! call-time! Which was told to me and others that didn't matter. The instructors told us even them being there that long they can still get in trouble for bad call-times... even if your doing a reservation for a first time flyer internationally that had a ton of questions.

* I decided after about 2 weeks of class to quit. I made 100's on all my tests, but realized that this company is shady and just like any call center. A quote from our trainers was "We don't care about what the customer wants or needs, we just need to get them off the phone for our call-times"... I think if someone is paying crazy prices for plane tickets, bags, taxes, etc they deserve no pressure, no time limit calls. Plus, a friend worked there for about a year and advised me that 95% of her calls were angry passengers.

* You have to offer the US Airways credit card twice during every call or you get written up.

* Side note--- US Airways actually charges people a $25 (or $35 international)/ PER TICKET fee to book over the phone, when most people book 2 or 4 tickets a call... that's crazy! I would understand maybe a one-time fee of $25 for the whole reservation, but dang! You can book online for free btw....

* I'm worried with the merger of US and AA that the customer service will only get worse. I would spend a few extra bucks and get good service at Delta.

Have respect for your employees (especially the new generation) and for your customers!

Having your reps to "hurry and get off the phone" is crazy when people are spending $6,000 for 2 tickets round-trip to Greece and back... You expect your agents to do all that booking in less than 4 minutes and say all you have to say...? Good luck being the World's biggest, but worse airline!

Not sure what to think/

I have been working at US Airways

Pros

I have been wanting to become a flight attendant for a long time.So I finally had the opportunity in my circumstances to fill out a application in hopes to get a job. I have lots of customer service experience and thought that would help my chances. I know that they get hundreds if not thousands of hopeful applicants. I filled out online application and had a video interview the same day.

Cons

After the interview I didn't hear anything back from them not even a rejection email. I called recruitment center and was told they would call me if any information in needed. My application went to current on website to archived. Not sure what that means so i called them again and they wouldnt tell me why , just say they would call if needed more info. Very vague. I am okay with rejection and just wish they would give me a straight answer.

Please send rejection emails or just tell the hopefuls : thanks but no thank".
    Experience like this with a big company makes me want to seek out competition when I decide to travel.
    If they can't treat applicants with respect then how do they treat customers!

poor

Former Employee - Customer Service Professional in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Professional in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at US Airways full-time (less than a year)

Pros

free flights if you fly

Cons

you have to give up every thing to work for this company. no children, no family, no holidays, no sick time

treat your employees like they are human and stop trying to make them give up their life for 10.21 hr

10. Worst Company Every!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Coworkers, Free Flights, Corporate Location

Cons

Management is terrible. Pay is even worse. The company does not care about its employes in anyway possible

Go to college

Aerospace Engineering Intern Position Review

Former Intern - Engineering in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Engineering in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Airways as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits. Period. There was nothing else.
    If in the right department, you might meet some good natured people.

Cons

This was the worst work experience I have ever had.
    1. Most of the 'engineers' there are A&P Mechanics who have worked there long enough to become 'engineers'. There is really not a whole lot of engineering going on. There is a lot more part tracking and just schedule management going on. However, during the internship interview, they did not mention that. When you hire THE BEST 'Aerospace Engineering Students' from some of the best engineering DESIGN schools, you need to be aware that they are much more qualified for the work that is being given to them.
    2. The supervisor and the engineers I worked with have the most difficult time writing cohesive sentences. Their grammar and their fluency in the language is definitely questionable. That being said, it would have been OK if their attitude was OK. My supervisor had the most hostile attitude. An example: During Good Friday, it was half day. He half-jokingly smiled at me and said interns don't get half day. I stayed 30 mins longer and then the lights in the office were being switched off and the whole office was deserted. If there was work to be done, I would have stayed. I had been there for almost two months, and all I was given is a 'Boeing 737 handbook' to read over. I got done with it the first week and didn't have any work to do for over a month! So, I left that day after 30 mins. During my final review, he stated that 'I did not listen to the supervisor'.

Know your company. Your company does not require cream of the crop aerospace engineering students. An actual engineering job has to involve some hands-on work/design/innovation. All your work has already been documented in the plethora of ES/EA documents. Your engineering team is a joke. Please rename it or at least have the honesty to hire A&P students, and not shatter the hopes of an engineering student.