US Airways

Updated December 10, 2014
3.3

US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • I left to have my children but still miss the camaraderie and flight benefits (in 73 reviews)

• Flight benefits if you can get on a flight, health benefits are great and in general the people that work there (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The salaries are laughable at best and good luck using your flight benefits (in 15 reviews)

• The pay was lower than industry average (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company!

Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at US Airways full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you are willing to relocate

Cons

Moving from Pittsburgh to Dallas

Not sure what to think/

I have been working at US Airways

Pros

I have been wanting to become a flight attendant for a long time.So I finally had the opportunity in my circumstances to fill out a application in hopes to get a job. I have lots of customer service experience and thought that would help my chances. I know that they get hundreds if not thousands of hopeful applicants. I filled out online application and had a video interview the same day.

Cons

After the interview I didn't hear anything back from them not even a rejection email. I called recruitment center and was told they would call me if any information in needed. My application went to current on website to archived. Not sure what that means so i called them again and they wouldnt tell me why , just say they would call if needed more info. Very vague. I am okay with rejection and just wish they would give me a straight answer.

Please send rejection emails or just tell the hopefuls : thanks but no thank".
    Experience like this with a big company makes me want to seek out competition when I decide to travel.
    If they can't treat applicants with respect then how do they treat customers!

Plenty of opportunities for those seeking a long-term career

I worked at US Airways full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are plenty of paths for promotion and managers are willing to help those who need some help in getting to where they want to go in their career. The majority of colleagues are hard-working, dedicated and loyal individuals who make coming to work each day interesting and fun.

Cons

Long days of work with no defined schedule.

Always ask the workers on the line what works best and then provide the tools needed before implementing major changes or programs

Great people and benefits.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good airline to work for aviation professionals. Nice flight benefit program. Ideal geographic location for outdoor activities. Conveniently located in Tempe.

Cons

Offers little or no OJT. Buildings had pest control issues at times. Critical software programs needed updating to industry standards.

Turnover training needs improvement.

Airport Job

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at US Airways full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement if you have the drive to pursue them. Training program is good. The company flies you out to their HUB and conducts training classes and they put you up in nice hotels. Excellent flight benefits IF you can get the time off to use them. Overall a good place place to work.

Cons

Low salary. Airport operations during weather days can get stressful at times. Dealing with adults acting like children, this goes for employees and customers.

Raise salaries to be more competitive with other companies. You are losing a lot of talented individuals. Flight benefits are some of the best in the industry, so keep them as is.

Great Place to Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at US Airways as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

See airplanes in maintenance every day and learn about how they work. Plus interns get standby flights anywhere for free or extremely cheap.

Cons

An interns work consists of mostly paper work and minor data analysis on excel. Engineers will teach you a lot about airplanes though.

poor

Former Employee - Customer Service Professional in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Professional in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at US Airways full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free flights if you fly

Cons

you have to give up every thing to work for this company. no children, no family, no holidays, no sick time

treat your employees like they are human and stop trying to make them give up their life for 10.21 hr

Nobody knows anything

Current Employee - Reservations Agent
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent

I have been working at US Airways full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flight benefits for family and friends are good as well as bunches of opportunities for overtime and a really great benefit package.

Cons

No one knows anything about anything. Supervisors know less about policies and procedures than we do. I haven't seen mine or had any form of a review in 4 months

retrain

Long time employee

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at US Airways full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The ability to travel is the main factor I stay. The compensation is very low versus my peers in other industries. The advancement opportunities are available, but now you have to be willing to relocate to headquarters in Dallas. Senior Management is very engaged with the employees and there is an open door policy.

Cons

The Company has always faltered in their leadership development. Someone gets promoted, but are not given the tools necessary for them to succeed.

Provide better training to low level management.

First Officer

I worked at US Airways full-time

Pros

Travel benefits, union, and great training experience.

Cons

Traveling and being away from family every week.