US Army Corps of Engineers Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
227 reviews filtered by
3.5
US Army Corps of Engineers Commanding General & Chief of Engineers Lieutenant General Thomas P. Bostick
Lieutenant General Thomas P. Bostick

Pros
  • Excellent benefits and work-life balance with global opportunities (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to work, great benefits for continuing your education, (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid as much as private sector, Promotions are limited due to minimal vacant upper level positions (in 8 reviews)

• number of negative people, caused by slow bureaucratic red tape (in 6 reviews)

1. Contract SpecialistAdministrator on a 1.75 billion dollar contract to build the NSA Utah Data Center in Bluffdale, Utah.

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Bluffdale, UT

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers

Pros

USACE is the best DOD agency I ever worked for to include Army, Navy, Air Force and DCMA.

Cons

I can think of no adverse conditions pertaining to working for the United States Army Corp of Engineers

Keep up the good work

2. Good company, great opportunities and locations CONUS and OCONUS

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, travel, good senior leadership

Cons

In logistics the upward mobility is non existent....room to move up if you're mobile...

3. Experience in Water Quality Management

Former Intern - Quality Control in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Quality Control in Seattle, WA

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great at mentoring and collective knowledge, teamwork is essential. employees are developed in a wide variety of areas and work collectively between departments to achieve mission goals. Very technical experiences with an interdisciplinary team.

Cons

The distance for some commuters during high traffic, government furlow heavily affected this employer during government funding crisis.

5. Working for the Corps of Engineers has been a rewarding experience with flexible hours and a great work/life balance.

Current Employee - Computer Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Computer Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Corps of Engineers is a great place to work. Hours and benefits are good and most the people are friendly and easy to work with. Work-life balance is one of the best benefits. A flexible work schedule and plenty of vacation are among the top benefits as well.

Cons

The only real con of working at the Corps of Engineers is salary. Since it is a government job the pay is not the best. People that excel and people that don't do much generally still get the same pay raises. So hard workers are not rewarded much more than the slackers; although there aren't very many slackers. Enjoying the job and work environment tend to outweigh the pay issues.

My advice to management would be to reward the hard workers and put more effort into understanding each workers workload and then do what you can to achieve balance across each level.

6. The best working environment ever with constant training seminars and advice and promotional opportunities.

Former Employee - Construction Control Representative in Fort George G Meade, MD

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I felt secure and empowered to do better and more.

Cons

I did not have a chance to use my full capacity and knowledge.

I wouldn't hesitate to work with the Corps of Engineers in the future again.

7. Great Organization. Very proud. Very large organization, culture differs very much depending on office and location.

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers

Pros

- great benefits and vacation time
    - opportunity to work on very large and impactful projects

Cons

- like with many large organizations there are some employees who don't pull their weight

keep focusing on employee training and engagement. make smart hiring decisions.

8. Satisfying Work, Great Benefits

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This is your typical government job with great pay, benefits, and flexibility in hours! The work you do here will be satisfying and the people here are top of the line in what they do and have a lot of knowledge in their fields. Ask a lot of questions and don't be nervous! They love new employees!

Cons

This is your typical government job where each task takes years instead of months.

Be more involved with the interns. Give real jobs and more responsibility! We can handle it!

9. Great job if...

Former Employee - Reality Specialist in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Reality Specialist in Savannah, GA

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers

Pros

Money is good and there was plenty of overtime mandated.

Cons

Management that made decisions about your performance were rarely around. They relied heavily on the opinions of your coworkers. This would determine your opportunity for advancement and or bonus. I have never in 20 yrs seen a more poorly ran business.

10. Good leadership, yet tough to progress

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers

Pros

The Job is somewhat secure, and there are good benefits like paid time off.

Cons

One challenge to working here is moving forward unless you are on a developmental program.

Personal growth should be a priority and it should be rewarded within the organization.

11. Great Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of training and career movement available and they do their best to promote and encourage hard workers. Also many projects to work on and gain experience in at all times. Flex time and health benefits that come with DoD are great too!

Cons

It is the federal government and you will have to work with peers who are lazy and try and make you do their work for them. They will never be fired but they also wont be promoted.

US Army Corps of Engineers Photos