US Army Corps of Engineers

US Army Corps of Engineers Reviews

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.5

US Army Corps of Engineers Commanding General & Chief of Engineers Lieutenant General Thomas P. Bostick
Lieutenant General Thomas P. Bostick

Pros
  • Excellent benefits and work-life balance with global opportunities (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to work, great benefits for continuing your education, (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid as much as private sector, Promotions are limited due to minimal vacant upper level positions (in 8 reviews)

• number of negative people, caused by slow bureaucratic red tape (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

United States Army Corps of Engineers

Current Employee - Engineering Technician Inter in Galveston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician Inter in Galveston, TX

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job. Not very demanding. Start building vacation from day one. Good benefits.

Cons

Can get stressful at certain periods of projects. Job opportunities are weak. Project processes can be extremely slow.

Keep on working towards making the department more efficient.

Work with great people and opportunities abundant!

Current Employee - Civil Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Project Engineer

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've met some great USACE co-workers over the years, mostly through deployments. Received valuable training and education by way of USACE. Great health benefits for families.

Cons

Promotions are limited due to minimal vacant upper level positions. Many retirement eligible are not retiring due to down economy and no incentives to retire. It's also hard to get new ideas implemented since everything has a SOP to follow and even those differ from office to office. Depends who is in charge.

Allow more flexible work schedules for employees such as tele-work or 4-10hr days. Provide incentives for retiree eligible to retire. Promote more young engineers within the organization or they will continue to leave and go to the private sector.

Paid Internship

Current Employee - Cartographic Tech in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Cartographic Tech in Charleston, SC

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Gain career experience for resume; hire at end of internship possibilities; experience in a government setting. Upper management was accessible and friendly. Team setting, flex scheduling, and relaxed atmosphere are great perks to working here.

Cons

Pay was not sustainable for long term living in the area, but was a decent amount for a student to supplement living off of student loans while in graduate school. Other interns commented on how low pay was, but I was one of the highest paid out of many of my fellow grad students working internships for other institutions in the area. There were times there was very little work delegated to the interns.

Engineer

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. You have a real opportunity to make an impact everyday. I love working for them. This is a fantastic opportunity.

Cons

The hours can be really long. But the good leades will comp you on the backside with family time. This is a wonderful opportunity

Pay us more

Great people, Great Work, Great pay!

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Hill AFB, UT
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Hill AFB, UT

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job was a good mix of office and field work. It provided an excellent work-life balance! Loved this job! It also provided for a good cross leveling opportunity if jobs became scarce.

Cons

It is based on government funding and when that goes down, so do employment opportunities. May have to move to distant locations to maintain employment.

Keep doing what you are doing! I loved the management style, and company values.

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers

Pros

Have good benefits, able to telework from home sometimes, able to learn and educate among the different architecture of VDI.

Cons

Do not have any cons.

Really liked working here

Former Employee - Law Clerk
    Former Employee - Law Clerk

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Paid internships! More or less a 9-5. Flex time.

Cons

I could sense there was a little conflict between different departments: IE Between contracting, PMs, legal and higher ups.

Overall a positive experience

Former Employee - Bim Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Bim Manager in Norfolk, VA

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Regular work hours. Variety of projects to work on.

Cons

Bureaucrats. Short-sighted thinking and planning. Reactionary not proactive. Contractors treated like second class people.

Trust the experts you hire. Be willing to take a chance on a novel approach to an issue. Respond to emails and phone calls.

I learned so much about construction and government projects with the USACE.

Former Employee - Civil Project Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Civil Project Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were a variety of large projects that I was able to work on at the same time. Great work-life balance, and lots of leeway with time-off, so that I could care for my family. I wasn't there long enough to know the difficulty in pursuing further career opportunities.

Cons

As with government positions, there can be a bit of delay in public works project management within such a large organization.

My expirience at the us army was interesting

Current Employee - Supply in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Supply in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at US Army Corps of Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyhing you do is to defend your cpuntry

Cons

There is a lot of nonsense order and individuals that should not be in the rank that they are

Be more selective in your leaders

US Army Corps of Engineers Photos