US Army

Updated November 16, 2014
4.2

US Army Secretary John McHugh
John McHugh

Pros
  • Great Benefits; Salary was good; Diverse people; Ever changing work place (in 497 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are a bonus in accordance with the aforementioned information (in 122 reviews)

Cons
  • Lifestyle can be hard on family unit with long periods of being away from family (in 537 reviews)

• Long periods of time spent away from home during training or deployment (in 213 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Army Training

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Physical training exercise program

Cons

Lots of days with long hours

Not just a job ... it's a way of life

Current Employee - Soldier in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Soldier in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great oportunities abound, as well as some not so great ones. Dedicated individuals who strive for excellence can go very far, but there is an element of luck. However, remember that luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
    Benefits can be fantastic, especially for ones that want to do an initial term and transition back to civliian life as which point Continuum of Service can be very important.

Cons

It's a way of life, not just a job - while you may not be on duty 24/7, you are a soldier 24/7.

Special Agent

Former Employee - Special Agent in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - Special Agent in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great experience and training. You are exposed to all aspects of federal law enforcement.

Cons

Frequent travel and relocation. Lifestyle can be hard on family unit with long periods of being away from family.

Rewarding

Former Employee - US Army Helicopter Pilot in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - US Army Helicopter Pilot in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unlimited growth within the ranks. Lots of travel. Unrivaled training experiences. Newest technology. Huge networking opportunities.

Cons

Lots of deployments. Hard to balance home and work when you are away 1/2 the time. Junior leaders who need constant mentor ship in decision making and career building.

A great place to learn values and a trade

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Army offers more opportunities in more career fields than any other employer I'm aware besides perhaps another military branch. You can start out in the Infantry and transfer to almost any other job field as long as your scores support your request and there is a need in the field. If your scores aren't high enough, the Army will help you retake the test....as many times as you want to get higher scores. The pay is also decent when you consider all the benefits and your total pay, not just base pay. There is unlimited potential for advancement as long as you stay out of trouble and try your best.

Cons

The military life style can be very rigid and demanding, especially during Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training (AIT - call your basic who to do your job training). Once out of school life loosens up a lot depending on your specialty and where your assigned. If you want to run around and shoot at bad guys, chances are life is going to be more ridged and austere. If you want to become a linguist, IT, or intel specialist, life is going to be a little more normal, but it's still the military.
    The retirement package isn't that great. You spend 20 years protecting the country, fighting for others rights and freedoms and you get half your base pay, not your gross pay, your BASE pay. That means if you are bringing home $80,000 each year, you'll need to back out that housing allowance, Basic Subsistence Allowance and any other goodies that are tacked on to your check and just figure on that Base pay. In this case say your base is $60,000 that means you're only bringing home $30,000 a year. And if you're dumb enough to take the 15 year bonus of $30,000, you're now only grossing 40% of your Base pay until age 62.
    Oh and that Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is voluntary savings tool like a 401k or such, except the government doesn't match like it does for the government civilians that needs to be fixed.

I know it's the Administration, but stop cutting the military force. We had more Soldiers deployed in the Gulf War than we currently have on Active duty. We are now a hollow force and we're about to get our butts kicked.

Great Experience that'll Last a Lifetime

Current Employee - Judge Advocate in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Judge Advocate in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous experience at any legal. Opportunity to grow and develop personally and professionally. Learn skills that'll last a lifetime.

Cons

Very little control over where you might be stationed.

Allow more interaction between the service member and the assignments officer.

Experience in US Army

Current Employee - Property Book Officer in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Property Book Officer in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Army offers opportunity for rewarding experience, leadership shills and provide a wide range of career advancement.

Cons

Eventhough the Army is great place to work, it places a lot of strain on the family

Not a job, but a duty: a chance to pay forward for all those who sacrificed so we can be free and prosperous Americans

Former Employee - Logistics Officer in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - Logistics Officer in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unless you serve in one of the other Armed Services, you will never be a part of something this significant. The Army gives individuals high levels of responsibility at a very young age, junior officers and NCOs can be placed in charge of hundreds of people and millions of dollars worth of equipment in a result oriented, driven environment. Also, the camaraderie you get with your fellow soldiers is for life. Pay may seem low, but the benefits, such as BAH and medical are unrivalled; but if that's why you are interested, you are the wrong person for this. My point is that being in the Army is about being a part of something more important than individual needs, individual benefits, it is one of the few chances in our society today to EARN our citizenship...even for those of us lucky enough to be born into it.

Cons

The institutional bureaucracy is extremely frustrating and the command structure stifles creativity and values obedience over intelligence. Far too much time is spent on administrivia and recently social experiments seem more important that preparing to defend the Nation. Selection for promotion is done off paper packages instead of by people who know the candidates, as a result, the two best O5s (Lieutenant Colonels) I served under were passed over, while frauds, self-serving politicians and incompetents made O6. Much of the school house training is simply an exercise in box checking, seems to be there more to protect outdated institutions than to prepare leaders for future roles.

In this day and age, organizational structures and hierarchies created for the Cold War are obsolete, and the top down, seniority based rank structure needs to be replaced with a far more fluid and reactive model. The sad fact of the matter is that across the board, junior officers and NCOs are now better equipped to lead the Army in any environment that we can realistically expect to be deployed in. Leadership in a situation should be given to the most qualified person, not the person who has been in longest or been to the right schools, and in answer to the "how else do we know who is most qualified" question, THAT is the job of Senior Leaders, not management by power point.

Go Army!!!

Current Employee - Chief Warrant Officer II in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Chief Warrant Officer II in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Need a chance to start a career while serving your country. Then go Army.

Cons

You might like it and make it a career for 20+ years.

Allow the people who work for you to be stakeholders in every process. You will like the results

US Army at Fort Belvoir

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Army full-time

Pros

The organizations on Fort Belvoir are limited however the post itself has beed "upgraded" in many ways to support not only the service members but also their families and retirees. Fort Belvoir now has a new Hospital, Exchange and widened access roads.

Cons

Limited units of assignment so not all Soldiers will have the opportunity to serve.

Keep up the improvements. Soldier, families both near and far deserve the best and most updated equipment, facilities and support.