US Army Installation Management Command

CEO

1. Taking care of Soldiers, DA Civilians and their Families

Current Employee - Operations Directorate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Directorate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Every day you have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives that you serve - Soldiers, DA Civilians and their Families.

Cons

- The bureacracy of some make it difficult for the many to effect change and improve upon the 61 services we provide those in and associated with the Army.

Cull the herd as required to keep only those that are effective, energetic, and organized to effect positive change.

IMCOM

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command

Pros

Decent salary and good security while living abroad.

Cons

Not a whole lot of cons. You are limited in what you can earn, but that comes with working for the government.

3. Politically Interesting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people want to do their very best but politics plays a big role in everything.

Cons

Weak and Poor Senior leadership

When you have the same people doing the same thing, how can you possibly expect different results?

5. Pay the bills

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command

Pros

Flexible work schedule and RDOs

Cons

No career progression, stagnant environment

Need to provide a strategic mission, vision and goals. PUBLISHED

6. job rating

Current Employee - Program Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent to work for with good salaries. Management are good to work for and supports staff. would like to saty with company if better opportunity present itself

Cons

hard upward movement is very difficult. many experience personnel do not have the ability to work in skills higher than currently working

allow more upward movement

7. My experience with IMCOM has been very positive, educational, challenging, and rewarding.

Current Employee - Command Sergeant Major in Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Current Employee - Command Sergeant Major in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command

Pros

The best reasons to work for US Army IMCOM are first and formost one's ability and position to really make a difference in the quality of life of our Soldiers and their families. While often filled with many challenges, it's very rewarding when you can help people out. IMCOM is very good about sending you to various schools to receive training for current job as well as positions of greater responsibilities. The people, the team, are great to work with and for. Finally, the pay, benefits, and job security are solid.

Cons

I often work very long hours, so it's tough on family life, but you usually have your weekends, and you don't deploy, so I can't really complain, and I don't.

I really appreciate the teamwork and the closeness that exist amongst all Soldiers/military leaders and Department of the Army Civilians (DACs), accordingly, my advice to military leaders is to keep working hard to strengthen the team. This team concept is what makes it such an effective organization and a great place to work. I would also advise continued educational opportunities for both military leaders and DACs. Finally, enjoy time with family when you can, you will likely be deploying again soon, so enjoy as much as possible.

8. Facilities Engineering

Current Employee - Engineering in West Point, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering in West Point, NY

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command

Pros

Fast paced. Interesting and vital work in support of the Military Academy. Infrastructure is in dire need of solid engineering. Great opportunity for those dedicated to a cause that is not wholly visible but oh so necessary. Need is great for those that are up to the challenge of coming up with innovative and novel ways of improving the engineer status of the Academy.

Cons

Priorities change with the wind. "Thank you's" are few and far between. Organizational limbo (inability to transform to a functional organization has done enormous damage). Inability to apply analytical tools to find solutions to problems because of the often self imposed unrealistically short suspenses.

Go back to basics! Adhere to the guidelines provided in the regulation (AR 420-1 and the like). Focus more on getting the processes right again an the rest will take care of itself. Basic premises of facilities management hold true. Use the smart assetts that you have in your personnel to identify the problem areas, determine a viable solution, program the solution and hold to that program. Focus more on being good steward of the taxpayers $$.

9. Honesty

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command

Pros

The team I work with is one of the best

Cons

Senior management seems to be a reaction rather proactive

Test the products you send out into the field, ask for the Good, the Bad & the Ugly

10. Good for well-paid, slow-paced research life; frustrating if you are motivated and want to publish

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Edgewood, MD
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Edgewood, MD

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command

Pros

Good pay, working hours, and benefits. Relaxed atmosphere. Good, knowledgable people. Nice research equipment.

Cons

From a Ph.D-level research perspective, it's a bit frustrating because the pace of research is so slow. Upper management (all military) is too tied up with rules, regulations, making sure everyone has had their training, wasting time in countless meetings per week, and generally NOT being involved in the science that one wonder's why they're even there. Research-level GS positions are very hard to obtain unless the position is created for you with the intention of hiring you regardless of who else applies. If you're one of many, many contractors, you are adminstratively considered an "outsider" and do not receive any of the government fringe benefits despite that it's the contractors who do most of the work.

Consider giving awards to research accomplishments regardless of whether they are government, civilian, or contract employee.

11. 20th SUPCOM CBRNE - a great opportunity or a great career-killer. It's hard to tell which.

Current Employee - Chemist in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
    Current Employee - Chemist in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

I have been working at US Army Installation Management Command

Pros

The 20th SUPCOM CBRNE Analaytical and Remediation Activity (CARA) is a relatively recently formed civilian unit - you allegedly get an opportunity to participate in forming the structure of the organization. It is a fully deployable unit, so people who want the opportunity to go on OCONUS missions should consider applying here. Like many Army positions, there is a big emphasis on training, so you will learn some skills. For civilians, it's a good place to get some tactical experience.

Cons

The upper management of the 20th does little to communicate to CARA what its vision of our future is. It's unknown what we'll be doing six months or a year from now. Simple requests like permission to do PT during work hours is held in limbo for months. The infrastructure is poor - even basic office furniture is impossible to get. I can't even get a small bookcase; all my stuff is piled on my desk. The IT is so locked down that our computers are almost non-functional. Starting next year we will need a PIN just to make phone calls. I understand there are security needs, but it's getting ridiculous.

Give employees clear expectations of the future.