US Army

6,831 Reviews

US Army Secretary John McHugh
John McHugh
2,157 Ratings

Pros
  • Great Benefits; Salary was good; Diverse people; Ever changing work place (in 497 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are a bonus in accordance with the aforementioned information (in 122 reviews)

Cons
  • Lifestyle can be hard on family unit with long periods of being away from family (in 537 reviews)

• Long periods of time spent away from home during training or deployment (in 213 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experiences in combat and garrison over a 30 year career

I have been working at US Army

Pros

Camaraderie, Teamwork, Leadership and working with others for something bigger than self.

Cons

Frequent moves and job changes.

Iowa army national guard

Former Employee - Infantry in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Infantry in Iowa City, IA

I worked at US Army

Pros

You gain respect for others!

Cons

Hard work for little pay.

Keep up the hard work.

Challenging, complex and rewarding work where nothing is routine or mundane.

Current Employee - Elections Section Supervisor/Trainer in Fort Sam Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Elections Section Supervisor/Trainer in Fort Sam Houston, TX

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Army affords you the opportunity to excel against any challenge. It teaches that nothing is impossible if you don't overextend your resources. You will travel to new countries and meet amazing people. You are given the tools to address every mission with a focus on success.

Cons

There are many personalities in the Army. Not all of them mesh. But you can rest assured that you will stand on merit by completing tasks designed to demonstrate your strengths.

Never discount someone based on their perceived inadequacies. Giving a person a challenge and allowing them to meet it without over directing them can produce amazing results. You can always polish the results and teach methods of completion during or after the mission is conducted.

Army Review

I worked at US Army

Pros

Great environment , nice pay, Job security

Cons

Ignorant Children joining he service and not keeping there military dicipline

Go back to the old days where we could smack around our privates

Amazing experience and benefits!

Current Employee - Infantry Team Leader (E-5) in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Infantry Team Leader (E-5) in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Army

Pros

Travel the world. Get to advance quickly and promotions are based on performance and potential. Fun work atmosphere and very little work compared to the pay.

Cons

The only cons are that the Army is turning into corporate business and losing the passion for what it does best, which is winning Americas wars.

Focus less on policies directed at tieing leaderships hands and more on policies that promote battle hardened warriors with the ability to be resilient, and focused.

Serving in the US Army has been an awesome and life long rewarding experience.

Current Employee - CBRN Officer in Fort Leavenworth, KS
    Current Employee - CBRN Officer in Fort Leavenworth, KS

I have been working at US Army

Pros

The opportunity to travel, unique experiences and challenges, and working with people who are on a higher level of ethical and moral standards. Promotions are fair, balanced and can be planned for which allows for individual preparation. The culture varies within different career fields varying from hard core adventurous outlooks to normal civilian like office culture. However, the overall Army Values and Ethos is consistent through out the organization. It would be tough for any other business on the planet to match the benefits package: 30 days paid vacation, full medical to include family, full dental to include limited family, steady pay and promotions, opportunities to pursue funded collage education and pursue higher degrees, fellowship programs w/ nationally recognized industries and other government organizations, the list goes on....

Cons

In some cases, separation from families, limited choices on assignments, and opportunities to change career fields. A lot depends on timing and circumstances. Work/life balance can be a challenge, but creativity is the key in making it work.

With the understanding of the strength management issue; try to allow more flexibility in assignments choices and career field changes.

Becoming soft, but I truly loved it.

Current Employee - Platoon Sergeant in Fort Benning, GA
    Current Employee - Platoon Sergeant in Fort Benning, GA

I have been working at US Army

Pros

Healthcare, steady pay, BAH, opportunity to travel the world, schools with lots to offer, GI Bill, veteran support, excellent DODEA school system, lots and lots of good people

Cons

Poor leadership, NCOs losing a lot of ability to lead, push to MEB everyone now..., APFT is a joke, new 870-1 is a joke, the new soft army is a joke.

All in all, I loved the army. I won't pretend that it didn't have its faults, but every job does. I learned a lot and became a stronger man and a better husband as a result of the training the army gave me. But, the last 6 years in the army have been horrible. I completely lost the ability to led as I saw fit, officers micromanaged every facet of my career for the last few years. I truly wish things would go back to how they were before the war. The army has become far too soft. I am grateful for everything, I am just saddened by the state I am leaving.

I've worked at this company for seven years.

Current Employee - Infantry Officer in Fort Benning, GA
    Current Employee - Infantry Officer in Fort Benning, GA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities and leadership experiences.

Cons

Frustrating bureaucracy and lack of career control.

Provide more flexible career options and employee options to keep people in the Army.

Instills discipline and great work ethics.

I worked at US Army

Pros

The pros of being in the Army is that it can help form and mold a person into something more than they were before they joined. Once you join the Army you are taught team work and discipline, these are must haves in the military, but they are skills you will always take with you in life. The Army teaches you to push beyond your limits and improve yourself. Great training and stepping stone in life.

Cons

If you join when you are young right out of high school from living with your parents it is great, the Army pays you a paycheck you get healthcare and your own place to live (the barracks). If you join later in life after you have lived on your own and had a job that pays decent, this could be tough. The Army takes away your pride of being self starter and making your own decisions. They will expect you to drop your standard of living and how things should be in order to help keep all soldiers under control. If you are an independent person who likes to improve process the Army is not for you they do not care about improving process. The Army has a mind set that you can add to but you can't take away. Meaning they will keep adding rules and regulations easily, but they won't take out meaningless regulations or unassay rules to improve work flow.

The Army leadership in the enlisted side needs to realize that just because someone has been in the Army for while and is an NCO does not make them a good leader. I worked with many new soldiers who came in and were more intelligent and better leaders than our supervisors, but were never given the chance to grow in rank and responsibility. Until they hit the time in grade and time in service. By this time soldiers who are smart get out because they see they are under valued and move on. Then you have the ones who stay in for 20 years because they cant do anything better on the outside (this is not all NCO's, but I would say a great number of them). My suggestion is improve your process to keep good soldiers in the Army instead of them leaving and keeping semi incompetent soldiers in charge to lead.

Great life experiences

Current Employee - All-Source Intelligence Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - All-Source Intelligence Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay, benefits and job stability are all excellent. Free Health care, housing allowance, 20 year retirement. Lots of opportunity to train, not only on your individual job but in overall life skills. Opportunity for advancement if you want it. Job security - as long as you dont do something stupid you will get to keep your job. It's too easy.

Cons

Leadership on the non commissioned officer side gets promoted too soon. So you could essentially be taking orders from a 20 year old sergeant with no life experience. Deployments are long and the lack of home time can be draining. The mission always takes precedent. Your family is secondary.

The promotion system is being revised and that is a good thing. The rate of promotion is just too fast on the NCO side. The Officer side is improving because now if you're not one of the best you will get put out.