US Army

3.9 5,004 reviews

US Army Secretary John McHugh

John McHugh

(1,480 ratings)

Pros
  • Great Benefits; Salary was good; Diverse people; Ever changing work place(in 347 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are a bonus in accordance with the aforementioned information(in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • Deployments away from family are definitely a negative for this organization(in 450 reviews)

• Long periods of time spent away from home during training or deployment(in 174 reviews)

5,004 Employee Reviews

An awarding job

Satellite Communications Maintainer-operator (Current Employee) Fort Bliss, TX

Prosbenefits, learning experiences that can not be equaled else where, coworkers that are great team players

Consmanagement, pointless details, not always getting to to do job

Did Army stuff.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDeploying was the best. I felt like what I was trained to do was really put to the test in Afghanistan.

ConsLow pay, health benefits are not what they seem, cut rate doctors, brand new LTs think they know everything.

Perfect Opportunity

Senior Logistics Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you are undecided on what you want to do and don't want to waist your time , the military is a great place to acquire life skills.

ConsYou can only do it for 20-30 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the leaders of tomorrow and focus your time and energy on cultivating them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience!

Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) Fort Bliss, TX

ProsOpportunity for travel and professional development.

ConsTime away from family and friends.

Join the Navy or Airforce

Section Sergeant (Former Employee)

ProsPay, medical, and leave.
    Fort Riley, Kansas

ConsYou don't do the job you trained to do. I was trained as a Water Treatment Specialist and the only time i ever did my job was while i was deployed. When not deployed, i walked around the motor[pool, supervising the Soldiers pulling grass and cleaning vehicle windows. Once you are an NCO you are nothing more than a babysitter and held responsible for everything your Soldiers do on and off of work, including getting written up for a Soldier getting a DUI.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves

Eye opening

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities to improve your self.

ConsNo support when pursuing self improvement

It's a new Army

E5 - Army - Sergeant (Current Employee) Seoul (South Korea)

ProsThe Pay is stable, Learn a skill that may of may not be useful

Consnone of the training translates directly to a civilian job, constant micromanaging has created a hostile work environment, as the army downsizes many people look to find a way to get ahead even if that means destroying the reputation of other workers

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your job

Outstanding place to work; daily sense of accomplishment.

U S Army Sergeant First Class E7 (Former Employee) Fort Lewis, WA

ProsSomething different every day.
    Opportunity to see different places.
    Pay and unpaid benefits are really good.
    2 weeks vacation from the start.

ConsPolicy and Command is inflexible leading to very inefficient use of employee time.
    Long hours make family time hard to achieve.
    Some deployments leave loved ones wondering if you're dead or alive for several months at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlow of information is an important aspect in motivating soldiers as well as achieving desired results. Try taking a little time to explain the "why" behind mission objectives.

my experience in the US Army has been educational

Prosyou have time for vacations when you need them. training is fun and educational

Constraining is timne consuming and sometimes stressful

Lifetime Rewards of the Army

E4 - Army - Specialist/Corporal (Current Employee) Fort Lewis, WA

ProsBeing apart of the military is a big challenege. The military, in general, provides education in multiple aspects of life; leadership, attention to detail, and working under streesful environments to name a few. Also the benefits of being in the military are extensive. Stay in long enough to retire, you are set for life. Get out too early, you're on your own, but education benefits are definitely there.

ConsYou may learn to be a leader, but the leadership in the military is not really about leading. It's more about protecting your own interests and ensuring your own success goes further than your fellow soldiers. It's not really about one team until you are in a combat zone. As mentioned before by others, favoritism is rediculously rampant. There are way to many rules that aren't enforced when they should be. Expectations are high, but rules apparently don't matter as long as you don't get caught. Depending on rank and job, time for family is very difficult to manage. Most marriages fail within the first year of service. Pay isn't enough even if there is housing allowances for married couples. The single soldiers don't recieve enough compensation for staying late after work hours, and the meals aren't high qaulity.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepending on rank and job, time for family is very difficult to manage. Most marriages fail within the first year of service. Pay isn't enough even if there is housing allowances for married couples. The single soldiers don't recieve enough compensation for staying late after work hours, and the meals aren't high qaulity for those that utilize the cafeteria/DFAC.

Worked for US Army? Contribute to the Community!