US Army

US Army Reviews

3.6

US Army Secretary John McHugh
John McHugh

Pros
  • Great Benefits; Salary was good; Diverse people; Ever changing work place (in 347 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are a bonus in accordance with the aforementioned information (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • Deployments away from family are definitely a negative for this organization (in 450 reviews)

• Long periods of time spent away from home during training or deployment (in 174 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of opportunities to do interesting and rare things

Former Employee - Special Forces Senior Engineer  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Special Forces Senior Engineer in Fayetteville, NC

Pros

Fight for your country, travel, decent pay, great benefits

Cons

Long deployments, hazards, not always pleased with the chain of command

Take care of your men.

US ARMY, GREAT PLACE FOR UNDECIDED FUTURES

Current Employee - AMMUNITION SERGEANT  in  Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - AMMUNITION SERGEANT in Fort Bragg, NC

Pros

The army provides a foundation to those that are unsure about there future. While serving your country you have the opportunity to further your education using the armys many education programs. Soldiers have the chance to network with civilian contracted companys and help there chances for future employment. Life, health and dental insurance are amongst some of the most rewarding benefits of being a soldier. Staying in good shape is another free perk of the army, you can get all the physical training you desire.

Cons

Possible extended amounts of time away from your family are always a concern of new soldier. The army really does not offer much stability outside of a steady paycheck.

Focus on keeping in the hard working trained soilders. There seems to be more focus on recurting young soldiers than keeping in the battle tested battle trained troops.

The positives almost equal out the negatives

Former Employee - Chemical Operations Specialist  in  Fort Leonard Wood, MO
    Former Employee - Chemical Operations Specialist in Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Pros

I felt the best reasons to be in the US Army were College Money, Opportunities to Travel, and Experiences working in Groups. I successfully used all of my allotted college money already. When I was still in the Army I was stationed in Germany. This provided me a great opportunity to visit many different countries which was a great learning experience. I definitely think I learned more traveling than I would have if I had taken the traditional route through college. Lastly the Army provided a unique environment to work with people from different place and backgrounds.

Cons

Getting Exploited by the Government, Constant Lies from Management, Anti-Intellectual Environment,

Quit Drinking the Kool-Aid

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bogus. Take this with a grain of salt.

Former Employee - Linguist  in  Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Linguist in Augusta, GA

Pros

Free clothes. Training. It's not just a job, it's a misadventure.

Cons

Wearing the same clothes every day. Going through all of the training and having it wasted.

Pull your head out. I had some crappy squad leaders. There are some good people in the Army, but they are rarely in positions of power.

Take on debt and go to College.

Former Employee - Helicopter Pilot.  in  Enterprise, AL
    Former Employee - Helicopter Pilot. in Enterprise, AL

Pros

Patriotic Duty, Depending on your Skill or MOS good training. You will make friends that will last you a lifetime.

Cons

I had the best job in the Army which was CH-47 Helicopter pilot. The single best day was when I got a DD214 that said Honorable Discharge. I was so happy to take off that uniform. I promissed myself that I will never again place myself into a postion that places someone dumber than I am in charge of my life. My commander attempted to kill me no less than 3 times because he was an idiot.

I would not recommend anyone joining until they start caring for soldiers a little better.. The promise of school money is not worth the aggrivation. It is better to take on some debt and be free of these monkeys. I promise. If they really need you.... They will call you.

Take care of the enlisted folks

US Army......Take the good with the bad.

Current Employee - Brigade Engineer  in  Fort Polk, LA
    Current Employee - Brigade Engineer in Fort Polk, LA

Pros

You will always have health care and a pay check. No matter what. Your retirement is guaranteed after 20 years. You can hide in the army with out doing much work and still get promoted.

Cons

Promotions are based off of time and not performance. The army is a system that must fill gaps and does not focus on you or your career. The army is a mission focused environment. You will spend the majority of your time training, deploying to fight our wars and then retraining to deploy again. You have to have a strong family to be able to take so much time away from the Soldier.

Listen to those under you.

It's like the Post Office with Guns

Former Employee - Army Captain  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Army Captain in Fayetteville, NC

Pros

Not a bad place to start out if you lack discipline or direction and especially if you're young and don't have any inkling what you want to do. Especially with the new GI Bill, you get a couple years in, and then you can go get a bachelors degree after maturing to the point of knowing what you want to do. If you show initiative, you have the opportunity to take on responsibility at an early age that you might not get in the private sector for 10-20 years in a job. When deployed, you have the opportunity to bank some money that might otherwise be spent while in the states. Some of the individuals you work with you will be amazed at their dedication to the Army and the missions at hand.

Cons

I liken the US Army to working at the Post Office with Guns. Extremely bureaucratic. Inefficient. A lot of idiots in charge. Having to move every 2-4 years. Career progression possibly limited by inept bureaucrats. For officers- your pay "stagnates" (in comparison to private sector positions) at upper levels. Wartime hazards: getting shot at, pressure deployments causes on marriage, the fact that a contractor is getting paid 4-10 times what you are earning. A beautiful metaphor for career progression to becoming a general: it's a single mistake marathon - make one mistake (not having a Ranger tab, taking risks) and you are out of the running for the higher ranks (Colonel and higher)

look at johntreed.com

Great Rewards, Great Responsibilites

Current Employee - Company Commander  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Company Commander in Washington, DC

Pros

Officers are given lots of responsibility; even right out of college you will be in charge of at least 15-30 people who count on you to lead them, care for them, train them, and maintain equipment. Paid educational benefits are plentiful. The sense that you are doing something for your fellow citizens makes you feel good- there is a certain prestige with saying that you are an Army Captain. High commaraderie; I have made lifelong friends in the Army. Predictable promotions for doing your job are expected. The knowledge that if you have a serious life event, the Army will always be there to help you and your family. Seeing the world is certainly one of the more fun parts. I have been in the Army only four years and I have lived in San Antonio, Washington DC, Frankfurt, Germany, and the Middle East. You also get 30 days of paid leave a year. Although the pay isn't the best, they do give you appropriate allowances for housing and substanance depending on where you live. If you hang in there for 20 years your pension, healthcare, and benefits are in the bag!

Cons

It might cost your life. It could definitely cost your innocence. Living with those facts are difficult especially considering that families bear the burden of your decision to join. The Army does have a certain level of custody over every facet of your life. You also have very little control. Although career managers try to get you a choice location, job, or school, the needs of the Army always come first. Being that it is a government agency, there are Soldiers and Civilians alike that just do the minimum while competent, contienscious people do the lion's share of the work. Sometimes soldiers are placed in leadership positions when they clearly don't belong there. Lack of support from the public is difficult: a lot of people chose to lay into soliders about decisions made by elected officials THEY put into office! Pay is not commensurate with responsibility. Constantly uprooting the family is difficult.

The 30% of the Army that has not deployed in support of Operations Iraqi or Enduring Freedom NEEDS TO GO! There are too many Soldiers and families that have endured three or four deployments (sometimes back to back) while the same people keep dodging deployment after deployment

Civil servants have job stability, a good benefits package, and make a decent wage.

Current Employee - Security Manager
    Current Employee - Security Manager

Pros

Civil servants have job stability, a good benefits package, and we make a decent wage. There is a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day and job satisfaction when one feels like the work they are doing matters. Training opportunities are available and most agencies and supervisors support employees who seek out training. Career advancement is possible if you are willing to take on new challenges.

Cons

The Department of Defense can be a "good ole boys" club. Budgets are constantly being cut to fight the war on terror, as they should be, but due to budget constraints, we have to get by with less. The new personnel system, NSPS, is a nightmare. We can get bogged down in bureaucracy.

Do away with NSPS.

The Army must address serious human resource problems to remain strong and effective.

Former Employee - Army Officer  in  Fort Lee, VA
    Former Employee - Army Officer in Fort Lee, VA

Pros

1. Fulfillment
    2. Travel oppurtunities

Cons

1. Deployments/time away from family

The Army finds itself in a rare scenario in which younger (read middle) managers have more experience than senior managers. The decision-makers grew up in a peace time Army focused on the conventional warfare needs of the Cold War. In order to retain experience, senior managers need to fix the serious fundamental issues that exist in Army human resources. Experienced junior officers and NCOs are jumping ship for new oppurtunities in the civilian world and the Army of tomorrow is going to suffer.

Worked for US Army? Contribute to the Community!