US Army

6,565 Reviews

US Army Secretary John McHugh
John McHugh
2,058 Ratings

Pros
  • Great Benefits; Salary was good; Diverse people; Ever changing work place (in 497 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are a bonus in accordance with the aforementioned information (in 122 reviews)

Cons
  • Lifestyle can be hard on family unit with long periods of being away from family (in 537 reviews)

• Long periods of time spent away from home during training or deployment (in 213 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Incredible experience

Current Employee - O5 - Army - Lieutenant Colonel in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - O5 - Army - Lieutenant Colonel in Savannah, GA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have traveled the world seeing many incredible places (and some not so good!), worked in at least 5 different fields, had 4 weeks paid vacation, unlimited sick days, incredible medical and dental insurance (don't pay any out of pocket), good promotion prospects and many other benefits.

Cons

Sometimes you work nights and weekends, can be away from your family for up to a year, relocated to places you don't necessarily enjoy, and a lot of training for the current set of politically correct requirements.

Listen to your subordinates more and give what they say more credence.

The best group of heroes I have ever worked with.

Current Employee - US Army Helicopter Pilot in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - US Army Helicopter Pilot in Savannah, GA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career opportunities for advancement are countless

Cons

Deployments are sometimes longer than families can endure

Do not disregard soldier's needs.

Teach great discipline and teamwork

Former Employee - Automated Logistic Specialist in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Automated Logistic Specialist in Savannah, GA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, travel experience, promotion available to hard working people,

Cons

Worked long hours, wake up super early, have lots of exercise, and may be deploy a lot of times, be always from home and friends during exercises field.

Some of the higher rank were very controlling

My overall experience was great

Current Employee - Automated Supply Specialist in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Automated Supply Specialist in Savannah, GA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working with all the different types of systems the Army had to offer, working with people of different back grounds learning different things everyday.

Cons

Some of the challenges were trying to help customers understand the supply concept, on how they receive and order parts.

try to change the way soldiers get promoted, need to do away from the boards and try changing the promotion system based on how well you know your job.

iIt has been rewarding!!!

Current Employee - Food Service in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Food Service in Savannah, GA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It really shows you diversity and how to handle a vast majority of things. You also meet great people who will be with you the rest of your life.

Cons

The hours are long and staggered. there is no real consistency. Your hours can literally change from one day to the other.

Show appreciation for your workers. Also better time management. Cooks also need to plan their personal life, and sometimes that is not possible with inconsistent schedules.

Life in the Army is all about what you make of it, the sky truly is the limit. Go for it!

Current Employee - 152DB in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - 152DB in Savannah, GA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary
    Time off
    Paid vacation
    Healthcare
    Life insurance
    Upward mobility
    Exciting jobs
    Scenery always changes
    Go see the world

Cons

Long deployments away from family, but only during a time of war.
    Life as an officer is definitely easier, if you stay enlisted it will be tough but rewarding.

Fire your boss immediately!

At times you will want to pull out your hair, and other times you will love it to your core.

Former Employee - 15T in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - 15T in Savannah, GA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will always have some sort of training to complete to make yourself better. The pay isn't horrible and there are a lot of perks. Promotions between the rank of E1-E4 are free all you have to do is show up on-time in the right uniform and do what your told.

Cons

Once your "off the clock" your not really off you can always get called back in. While deployed you will get 1 day off every 14 days or 2 off every 30. There is no work-life balance you always have that thought in the back of your head that is thinking about work and how whatever you're doing could affect you at work. You will sit through hours of suicide prevention classes. and EO classes given by the most raciest person.

Not for everyone.

Former Employee - E4 - Army - Specialist/Corporal in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - E4 - Army - Specialist/Corporal in Savannah, GA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits, education benefits, 2 days of leave gained each month. Many other family services and benefits to help where you need it the most. A lot of great army programs.

Cons

Your leadership dictates the out come of morale and welfare of your life in the Army. Toxic leadership and the "Look at me, what can I do to benefit myself and throw whoever under the bus." are everywhere. It's no longer how it used to be where everyone looked out for each other, instead the draw backs have changed the way things work and too many good people have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Deployments for 9 months that end up 10 months with no break. Better off having a 12 month deployment with a break.
    A lot of wasted time and money on things that do not work. No one wanting to listen to someone who has a better idea how to accomplish something faster, safer and that would cost less.
    People stuck in their ways, out dated regulations and field manuals. Outdated equipment and equipment that is useless or waste of money. Only because someone wanted someone to buy from someone to make someone rich. Instead of thinking of those of us who use it on a daily basis.

Return back to basics, award those who deserve it, gain the trust of those you lead not through intimidation but through communication. Punishments should fit the crime and live the army values the way you tell everyone else to.

Positive experience

Former Employee - Officer in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Officer in Savannah, GA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership experience, benefited me well in post army career

Cons

deployments are long and unpredictable.

Stay strong

Learned everything I needed to know to get myself started and then some. You get out what you put in.

Current Employee - UH-60 Crew Chief in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - UH-60 Crew Chief in Savannah, GA

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Toughens you up, away time from family, travel, discipline, steady pay, medical. These are all the things you expect when you come in. You also become part of a brother hood that will last you the rest of your life.

Cons

Early hours, long hours, time away from family..etc.
    You should be ready for "the suck" when you come in.
    As long as you are ok to suck up the crappy parts and learn from them, you'll be fine.

I wanna grow a beard.