US Army

Updated Mar 31, 2014

US Army Secretary John McHugh

John McHugh

77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a great place to start my adult life. Could be a great career if you like relocating.

Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee)

I worked at US Army full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Army taught me discipline, responsibility, fortitude, and many other important life skills. You learn to get through and overcome obstacles no matter what. I developed friendships and trust in others like I had never known. If everyone could have an experience like this early in life, this country would be much better off.

ConsNever knowing where you will be next. Hard to have a family life.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor the young. They are the future wether military or civilian

Fulfilling and frustrating

Signal Support Systems Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Army as a contractor for more than 8 years

ProsI've received a lot of technical training and experience, moved a lot, traveled to different countries. There is a plethora of different equipment to work on, and techniques to use for multiple tasks. Most jobs don't get boring because there is a lot of working outside of ones job description.

ConsPromotion system is broken, leadership is not selected on merit, or qualifications. It is easy to get stagnant in one place or position. The pay is miserable, if you're not married you will 80% of the time be forced to live in a barracks if you're under the grade of E6.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe entire system needs to be restructured.

Adventure and overall great experience with some bumps

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Army full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNo company in the world puts you in a leadership position, in charge of people and millions of $$ worth of equipment. The experience is second to none! You either sink or swim and will make great friends along the way. Also, benefits, benefits, benefits!

ConsWork-life balance can be extremely lopsided at times. Leadership varies. Injuries are epidemic from overuse and negligence.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of our soldiers. Senior leadership should be our most vocal advocates.

Great times

Soldier/Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at US Army full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTravel, Opportunity to meet new people and discover new cultures. Time off, Vacation, Benefits package

ConsLong Hours, management changes every 2 to 3 years. Could be good or bad

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great Experience, but it's time to transition back to civilian life.

Aviation Maintenance Technician/Helicopter Mechanic (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Army full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgreat job security, great pay incentives, great benefits for my family and I

ConsExtremely long hours and sometimes weekends, Being away from family for long extended periods of time, having every aspect of your life controlled by your superior.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some faith and trust in your employees to get the job done. Micro-managing a person makes them feel as if you don't trust them and you don't think they're able to accomplish the task given.

I recently retired but I wish I were still serving.

Infantryman (Former Employee)

I worked at US Army full-time for more than 10 years

Pros-Learned the value of teamwork
-Acquired an excellent work ethic, learned management skills
-Gain a sense of self pride through unselfish actions
-Built lifelong friendships
-Became a part of something bigger than myself for a higher purpose
-Earned the respect of others for the job you do and the sacrifices you make

Cons-Occasional long separations from family in austere and sometimes dangerous environments
-Compensation/benefits is at the mercy of others who have NO idea of what it is to be a soldier and from those who have never walked in your shoes (i.e. US Congress)
-Sometimes being subordinate to others with no interpersonal or leadership skills

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect from subordinates is not only determined by rank alone....you must continuously work to earn that respect.
ALL of your actions center around mission accomplishment and the welfare of those in your charge.

My time enlisted in the US Army

E5 - Army - Sergeant (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Army full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Army is a great place to receive training and develop discipline and work ethic. It was a good experience for me overall. It offered a variety of jobs, stable income.

ConsThe days work long and often involved hard work which was rough on the body over time. The time away from family was the most difficult aspect of all.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep soldiers' long term well being in mind, not just immediate needs.

When the chips are down, this is not the place to be.

Public Affairs (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Army full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe military has a well known benefits package that does keep some people around: 20-year retirement, healthcare, thrift savings plan to name a few.

ConsSacrifice and inability to manage and retain talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe U.S. Army needs to revise its talent management practices. As the military downsizes, those that absolutely need the benefits and pay because they wouldn't like find employment elsewhere are staying in, while for others its time to go.

I had a terrible draw

IT Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Army full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have met some of the most diverse people who love their country and are proud of what they do every day.

ConsMicromanagement by people who do not know how to do their job. The internal politics of getting promoted are not worth it. I'd rather deal with cutthroat corporate America than deal with the cronyism and nepotism of the Army.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those that think outside of the box. Just because something has always been done a certain doesn't make that particular implementation sound or efficient.

Good professional starting point, bad long-term career.

Infantry Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Army full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEarly leadership experience with no comparison in the civilian world, provides experience with relating to the full spectrum of American society.

ConsImpulsive youth create many headaches, inflexible bureaucracy that allows you little control of your next assignment, mid-grade officers more focused on their own career than subordinate development.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude junior officer retention rates as part of a field grade officer's evaluations - toxic/careerist leaders push out much of the young talent.

Worked for US Army? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Army reviews and ratings in Tacoma, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Army CEO John McHugh. All 77 reviews posted anonymously by US Army employees.