US Army

US Army Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 26, 2014

US Army Secretary John McHugh

John McHugh

Pros
  • Great Benefits; Salary was good; Diverse people; Ever changing work place (in 347 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are a bonus in accordance with the aforementioned information (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • Deployments away from family are definitely a negative for this organization (in 450 reviews)

• Long periods of time spent away from home during training or deployment (in 174 reviews)

More Highlights
207 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Perfect Opportunity

Senior Logistics Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you are undecided on what you want to do and don't want to waist your time , the military is a great place to acquire life skills.

ConsYou can only do it for 20-30 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the leaders of tomorrow and focus your time and energy on cultivating them.

Wonderful experience

O6 - Army - Colonel (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLeadership development unparallelled! Training, Values, opportunity to advance.

ConsWork Life Balance. The Army is getting to small and it will impact readiness.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust do your job and lead.

Great place to work and serve your country

O5 - Army - Lieutenant Colonel (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsServing your country
    Tons of Experience
    Lots of travel
    Educational opportunities

ConsLong hours
    Lots of travel and away from family
    Deployments and training

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and keep taking care of the team

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job, Extremely Boring

Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits, guaranteed upward mobility, and job security. Since the baby boomer generation is retiring, individuals have more opportunity to move up faster.

ConsYou are stuck in a cubicle for long hours looking at a computer screen. I worked for the budget department, so I was stuck looking at excel and numbers for the majority of my day. Extremely boring and unchallenging.

A great place to learn values and a trade

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Fort Belvoir, VA

ProsThe Army offers more opportunities in more career fields than any other employer I'm aware besides perhaps another military branch. You can start out in the Infantry and transfer to almost any other job field as long as your scores support your request and there is a need in the field. If your scores aren't high enough, the Army will help you retake the test....as many times as you want to get higher scores. The pay is also decent when you consider all the benefits and your total pay, not just base pay. There is unlimited potential for advancement as long as you stay out of trouble and try your best.

ConsThe military life style can be very rigid and demanding, especially during Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training (AIT - call your basic who to do your job training). Once out of school life loosens up a lot depending on your specialty and where your assigned. If you want to run around and shoot at bad guys, chances are life is going to be more ridged and austere. If you want to become a linguist, IT, or intel specialist, life is going to be a little more normal, but it's still the military.
    The retirement package isn't that great. You spend 20 years protecting the country, fighting for others rights and freedoms and you get half your base pay, not your gross pay, your BASE pay. That means if you are bringing home $80,000 each year, you'll need to back out that housing allowance, Basic Subsistence Allowance and any other goodies that are tacked on to your check and just figure on that Base pay. In this case say your base is $60,000 that means you're only bringing home $30,000 a year. And if you're dumb enough to take the 15 year bonus of $30,000, you're now only grossing 40% of your Base pay until age 62.
    Oh and that Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is voluntary savings tool like a 401k or such, except the government doesn't match like it does for the government civilians that needs to be fixed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it's the Administration, but stop cutting the military force. We had more Soldiers deployed in the Gulf War than we currently have on Active duty. We are now a hollow force and we're about to get our butts kicked.

Private Benjanin

Personnel Records/IT/Everything Else! (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI live dealing with my troops and being a Platoon Sgt.

ConsGoing to war, many thing during the first wave in Iraq were very hurried and very scary! Many thing were not sent to us to use as they should have been.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring a Veterans is one off the best things you can do, we have a great deal of good qualities such as; being on time, doing our work in a timely manner, etc.

Outstanding career opportunity

O6 - Army - Colonel (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEducation, training, travel, opportunity to live in other countries.

ConsFamily separation, work-life balance, repeated relocations..

An Honorable Adventure

Army Officer (Current Employee) Fort Myer, VA

ProsOfficers have a new job every year.
    Move every three years and work in a new environment with new leaders and subordinates.
    Tough and Challenging field exercies.

ConsVery poor locations such as Fort Polk, LA and Fort Irwin, CA.
    Different chains of command can be really awesome or really bad
    Bureaucracy that requires a lot of paperwork

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough peronnel costs and retirement benefits need to change to keep the DoD budget running, higher leadership needs to avoid pricey projects such as the F-35, Littoral combat ships, and new vehicle variants.

Dedicated to the safety of the Nation

Various (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou know someone always has your back. There is room to grow, but also room to make mistakes. There are tons of training opportunities and you get to travel to far away places.

ConsThere are a lot of people in the military who are trying to advance by playing different "cards" instead of working hard. Those who work hard, get more work because the are the only one who can be depended on. The others still get promoted right alongside the workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it is possible to be too PC and that is where the Army has gone. Leaders are afraid to discipline individuals who deserve discipline because it turns into other things.

Wonderful Opportunies

Operations Officer (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe Army is a great place to learn, build relationships, skills and opens doors for many opportunities.

ConsNot many cons.. just depends on your goals and military path.

Worked for US Army? Contribute to the Community!