US Army

US Army Reviews in Washington State

Updated Jul 17, 2014

US Army Secretary John McHugh

John McHugh

Pros
  • Great Benefits; Salary was good; Diverse people; Ever changing work place(in 345 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are a bonus in accordance with the aforementioned information(in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Deployments away from family are definitely a negative for this organization(in 439 reviews)

• Can't say much about on the cons except that at times you will be away from home(in 171 reviews)

219 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great and Positive Experience

Automotive Maintenance Warrant Officer (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsAdventurous, Challenging, Fulfilling. Benefits are great.

ConsConstantly relocating every 3-4 years

Advice to Senior ManagementIt can be stressful when you are force to work outside the box, filling in positions that are vacant not relevant to your field and expecting equal or better results as if it is your primary job.

Uplifting, Empowering, and Life changing decision

Private First Class (Former Employee) Fort Lewis, WA

ProsLearned skills will definitely apply and come in handy for any future career opportunities.

ConsFor the length of enlistment you will be at the behest of the United States Army, however, if one would simply take it all in stride it pays off.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay is decent when other factors are considered, such as housing allowances, food allowances, any medical & dental care all are provided at no cost (while active), and many more. Plus, the shops on base, PX or other stores, prices are all affordable.

It depends where you are

Veterinary Food Inspector Specialist (Current Employee) Fort Lewis, WA

ProsDepending on your leadership the army can be all about bettering you as a person and providing you with any opportunities to further your career, they also understand life circumstances and can be flexible when emergencies strike.

ConsThe work can be hard, and the pay can suck

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Transitioning engineer officer

Engineer Officer (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsUnrivaled leadership training and opportunities. The Army gives opportunities for growth that simply cannot be matched in the civilian career. The amount of responsibility a new officer will have far exceeds what almost any of his peers will have in the corporate world.

ConsA very large amount of the opportunities that you are offered are completely out of your control. There are fantastic career opportunities; however, there is a sizeable degree of chance involved when pursuing any Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the accessions system. Award top performance, not complacency and mediocrity.

I wouldn't trade the experience in for anything in the world

All-Source Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsOpportunity for personal and professional growth

ConsThere were times of personal opinions towards the work-life balance, versus a standard like everything else

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. It seems like the system will adapt to whatever situation its in

SGT

Sgt (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsIt is a great place to have a career. I the opportunities to advance are unlimited. You can take pride in what you do.

ConsYou spend a lot of time away from home.

Advice to Senior Managementno advice

Infantry Squad Leader

Squad Leader (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsService to the United States of America. The benefits are huge everything from medical, 30 days paid time off (don't always get to pick when to use them but 30 is a lot more than most companies), and the Post 9-11 GI Bill. The chances to see different parts of the world. The bonds you make with your co workers last a lifetime.

ConsHorrific hours, not much freedom in planning up coming events, deployments and constantly in the field training.

I have learned a lot, grown and lost valuable time with my friends and family.

O3 - Army - Captain (Current Employee) Fort Lewis, WA

ProsComradarie, most have a can do/will do attitude despite unfavorable conditions. Incomparable benefits package, competitive pay and the level of responsibility given from day one of my service time.

ConsLots of time away from home training or on deployments. Leadership varies from place to place. Extremely bureaucratic. Very little room for individuality.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurge the toxic leadership. It's leading to a hemmorage of talent and potentially outstanding soldiers.

Love hate

25B (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsBenefits are good especially if you have a family. Lots of career advancement potential from the day you join.

ConsPay is awful. They promote people that don't deserve to be promoted. If you are physically fit, then you are in everyone's good graces

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to promote people on something other than physical fitness. Times have changed. Thousands of very intelligent soldiers are getting out because you promote worthless people that don't work, but are good at physical fitness

Great!

Us Army E-48 (Former Employee) Fort Lewis, WA

ProsJob security and benefits are great.

ConsLong separations due to deployments.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your soldiers with dignity and respect.

Worked for US Army? Contribute to the Community!