US Bureau of Reclamation Reviews

Technical Service Center Denver , very good place to work and gain knowledge

Current Employee - Civil Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at US Bureau of Reclamation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good state of the art design projects to work on. Materials and hydraulic lab in the backyard, so can particapate and view phyical models and lab expreiments. Access to onsite Library. Very knowledgable senior engineers and scientists to work under. Quality of work produced is excellent. Staff and Mangers are easy to get along and value your ideas and opinion. Most engineers have vastly more technical knowledge than any other enigneers in America.

Cons

Pay and benefits for engineers and scientist is extremely low compared to private and local city/county governments.

Increase pay so skilled engineers dont have to leave this excellent organization.

Entrenched Bureaucrats and Blind Management

Current Employee - Environmental Specialist
    Current Employee - Environmental Specialist

I have been working at US Bureau of Reclamation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I stay for the government benefits. My schedule is pretty flexible, but that's more the exception than the rule. My current project is interesting and provides for professional growth but I think this is very much more an exception than the rule.

Cons

Lazy, entrenched, and passive aggressive bureaucrats! Process paralysis! The mindset that we do it this way because we've been doing it this way because that's they way we've done it for 20 years and who are you to want to change it now -- it's crazy-making! Zero innovation. Creative thinking is frowned upon. Senior management mouths platitudes like Stephen Covey but do nothing about the incredibly poor morale caused by the productive staff getting hammered to make up for the unproductive whiners.

Ditch the dead weight! Don't be so afraid to rate poor performers as poor performers! Quit coddling the lazy people and show a little appreciation for the good people that you still have working here!

The BoR gives the Gov. a bad name

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern  in  Farmington, NM
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Farmington, NM

I worked at US Bureau of Reclamation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are great, comp. time == awesome. You can always get time off. Great people to work with.

Cons

Everything was slow, I was frequently told I was working too quickly. If you expect innovation, its not going to happen.

No clue how to fix the bureaucratic nightmare.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the place to work!

Current Employee - Secretary  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Secretary in Denver, CO

I have been working at US Bureau of Reclamation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Government benefits, location, not much else.

Cons

Working environment, managment, job progression

Your loosing your best people, wake up.

Governement Stereotypes Proved Here

Current Employee - Business Services Division
    Current Employee - Business Services Division

I have been working at US Bureau of Reclamation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No dress code. Ability to work independently since management is normally never paying attention.

Cons

No dress code. Negative organizational culture. Peole lack professionalism and manners. Lots of employees have poor attitude and spread negativity. Lots of long time employees who fear any change, even if it is good change. Organization lacks direction. Fluctating goals that change constantly with no rhyme or reason. Overall constant state of chaos, dysfunction, confusion, unclear whose in charge, unclear requirements/expectations. Lots of lazy employees who get away with doing nothing. Headquarters makes clueless decisions.

Talk to staff before making policy/procedure changes. Value the opinions of your staff. Admit when certain things cannot be done, dont make promises and expect your staff to deliver the impossible. Email is not a proper channel of communication to big policy changes. Address problem employees instead of punishing good employees by expecting them to clean up the mess you refused to address.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Shasta Lake, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shasta Lake, CA

I worked at US Bureau of Reclamation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Reclamation has the values of a construction engineering outfit--- design. get 'er done, and move on. REally a business-like agency. Emphasis of doing the right thing and doing it right.

Cons

Congress is your boss. It is hard to be an eagle when you work under turkeys. (Opinion as of week one of the 2013 government shut down. May get outdated and hopefully will.)

Keep to your values. You are doing well.

A great learning opportunity, but typical government limitations

Former Employee - Natural Resource Specialist  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Natural Resource Specialist in Fresno, CA

I worked at US Bureau of Reclamation part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, vacation, travel

Cons

Limited growth, numerous limitations, lifetime employees

You need to foster your younger employees to make them understand how to move up within the company, rather than feeling like they just need to put in time to get any advancement.

Reclamation Needs Major Changes in Management

I worked at US Bureau of Reclamation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Engineers are well respected and have opportunities for advancement and movement within the organization. Many professional graded positions in the organizations that have good starting salaries.

Cons

Dysfunctional management of staff and internal processes. Supports autocratic management style even though the majority of staff are at a professional level. Claims to offer flexible schedules, but this is not the case if management is not pro-alternate work schedules.

Until upper management recognizes the value of their employees and allows them to perform the duties they were hired to do, the bureau will remain fundamentally handicapped and unable to provide a productive service to the public.

Boring government work that didn't fit the job description

I have been working at US Bureau of Reclamation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits package. Also, the people were very friendly. However, I don't have anything else positive to say about the BOR. Not a good place for an engineer or anyone with any amount of motivation

Cons

There was rarely enough to do and the projects that I worked on I was either under-qualified (and was given no training) or was something that I didn't find relevant. Not a good place for someone who wants to accomplish anything at work

Information Specialist

Former Employee - Information Specialist  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Information Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at US Bureau of Reclamation full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are a few good managers that I worked for but the majority of them were Civil Engineers turned Computer Science Managers. It is not a good environment for those who are seeking to work in an actual Engineering field. The managers are either on vacation or on travel.

Cons

Again, many of the Computer Science managers are Civil Engineers and not a good fit for a Computer Science Department, or they worked their way up over the years and have achieved a Cert. I don't know if any of the managers had actual Computer Science Degrees, and many did not have a degree at all. Those who worked in the Policy and Security Department were great and knew what they were doing, but those who worked in IT Services Division were clueless. Very few of the GS-12's and below had a clue as to what they were doing, and those who did would not give anyone the time of day.

It was the worst work experience I ever had and I would highly recommend staying away from this place. The sad thing is, the managers (who are not Civil Engineers) transfer from Department/Bureau to other Bureau's so it is more than likely all of the Colorado Fed jobs are the same. I don't know this to be a fact, but I am pretty sure if you don't fit in quickly, you won't move up in the Feds.

If you are a minority, or a LGBT you will be recognized often. You will be able to get away with nearly anything. It is difficult to work in an environment like this when you are a married white male, or you have not been in the system for more than 10 years.

One would be better off looking for anything other than working for the BOR.

Quit and get a Computer Science Degree, or at least a Degree in Mathematics.

Worked for US Bureau of Reclamation? Contribute to the Community!