US Census Bureau

www.census.gov

US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training(in 53 reviews)

• Decent pay with flexible hours and opportunities for growth and promotion(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature(in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator(in 10 reviews)

It is what it is...

Non-Response Follow-Up Enumerator (Current Employee) Albany, CA

ProsExcellent temporary part-time work for a recent college grad during an economic downturn (2010). Followed up on non-returned census forms. Outdoor work, got to meet lots of people, good and bad, many interesting memories.

ConsIt is what it is. There were opportunities for advancement that I regret now not looking into more. Otherwise, the pay at the time was barely above minimum wage, but really, what could you expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Never had the opportunity, nor the need, to meet with any upper management.

Excellent assignment for US Department of Labor

Census Enumerator (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExcellent schedule and flexible work times

ConsToo hot outside in the summer months

It was a great opportunity to learn more about the government and apply my academic skills in a professional setting.

Intern (Former Employee) Suitland, MD

ProsThe work environment is very friendly and my coworkers were very encouraging with regard to taking more responsibilities. There were always many events and the affinity groups promoted healthy living styles. My work schedule was flexible.

ConsCommute-wise, it was a long way for me. In terms of opportunities for staying, my department was not hiring at that particular moment for my specific skill set.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing a great job regarding training and staffing. My supervisors were great people to work with and allowed me to grow as a professional.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Learning Experience

Enumerator (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGetting to enumerate the community where I lived in and seeing the vast diversity. Flexible with school schedule, work at your own pace. Great learning experience.

ConsAppeared to be a lot of confusion amongst supervisors as to what was next. Enumerating creek area in the middle of the night.

It was a fun learning experience.

ProsFlexible hours and great pay.

ConsThe job is only a temp. job. Added to that the census is only done every ten years.

US Census Bureau

ProsFun meeting new people in your neighorhood.

ConsWorking outdoors around stray dogs.

Dysfunctional

Analyst (Current Employee) Suitland, MD

ProsFree parking, near metro, alternate work schedule, teleworking if you can get it, improved union management, gym (it's $35.00 a month, but Planet Fitness offers it for $10.00...go figure), loves to spend money on technology,

ConsIt's located in Suitland, waterless urinals, high priced cafeteria, nepotism and cronyism in the workplace, famous for creating review boards when GAO find faults, top heavy with minimum minority employees in management, reorganization every three years, no training, no promotions, veterans preference is frowned upon, security is a joke especially in IT, being proactive is a sign of weakness, image over substance, unethical and incompetent management. Unprofessional behaviors in meetings that reminds you of high school.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide training to your employees, you get what you put in. Hire and promote minorities. Please stop designating employees as points of contact (POC) for duties outside of their job. It is unfair, unproductive, and mismanagement of your employees. Instead hire sufficient people with the proper skills rather than having to borrow from other divisions. They already have a full time job. You have review boards and advisory groups, security POCs, SharePoint POCs, inventory POCs. Stop, stop designating employees as management just so that you can bypass union regulations, laws, and Union Management for the simple purpose of making it easy on yourself. Lastly, do the right thing and lead by example!!!!

Great work

NRFU Enumerator (Former Employee)

ProsSelf-paced
    Good training
    Fair compensation
    Some-what easy work

ConsWhile it was usually very easy to get through the job, there were quite a few people who didn't want to be "counted", mostly because they thought I was a random solicitor or a bill collector or ICE.

I actually got a "talking to" because I completed more censuses than one per hour worked. I was told that I either needed to slow down and not be as productive, or I needed to "fudge" my hours on my worksheet to show that I worked more hours; that I should have as many hours worked as I had completed censuses.

Only temporary work, so it's only available once every 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer good enumerators options to be promoted, rather than telling them to "do less work" or "work less hard".

Good Place to Develop Skills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was during the decennial so it was fast paced, varied work. It helps you develop a broad skill set of accomplishing goals quickly and multi-tasking that is not often seen.

ConsThere is a challenge with training and the culture between full time and temporary workers that could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a better training and feedback program for internal office procedures.

My experian was very very helpful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had the best schedule I had never had had. The salary was according with my expectations.

ConsI am highly qualified to work.

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!