US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
3.8

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 49 reviews)

• Great pay- as a crew leader is was paid about (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great way to get to know your community!

Former Employee - NRFU Enumerator in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - NRFU Enumerator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay. Flexible hours, so it is easy to work as a second job. Great training and the team leaders were available any time you needed them.

Cons

Lasts only for a couple of months every ten years. I would have felt safer in some neighborhoods if they would have sent us out in teams of two.

Invaluable and accurate information gathered at very little expense to the public.

Current Employee - Office Automation Clerk in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Automation Clerk in New York, NY

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is rewarding and the staff is very diverse. A dozen languages are spoken in our office and we include people from all walks of lfe. This is a federal job so the benefits are generous. Advancement opportunities are not common but there is a possibility for a motivated individual to rise to management.

Cons

As the name implies the organization can be a bit bureacratic. Change is slow but statistical work requires that trends be tracked over a great period of time and that is the nature of the job.

Very busy!! - on the go steady and over all very good experience

Former Employee - Enumerator in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at US Census Bureau as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Got reimbursed for mileage, time starting when I left home to get to office 90 miles away. Fellow associates were wonderful and very helpful to work with, the training provided was excellent the very through.

Cons

Very Long Hours! No over time pay! and working at weekend events, sitting on ICE! Long driving commutes all over the state, even tho mileage was reimbursed it was a lot of miles and wear and tear on my car. Weather conditions at times were dangerous. Supervisor was very unkind! NOT Nice and picked her favorites when assigning events!

Get into the field! You have NO idea what it is like in a large Rural low unpopulated region or reservation!

Field Operations Supervisor

Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provided great training, even though verbatim training can make you crazy - when you were done you knew what you were doing. The people I worked with in the field were amazing.

Cons

While some people were amazing, there were those that were power-hungry abusers. There was no good way to make sure that the abusive back-stabbers got fired. I had to go in a clean up the mess and it was appalling what had been allowed to happen to a great team.

People do a better job if they feel validated, appreciated and supported. There needs to be a better way to evaluate the really poor and often abusive supervisors.

Intense, yet fulfilling opportunity to work for the government

Former Employee - Assistant Manager of Quality Assurance in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager of Quality Assurance in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

During a census year, if you are bright, hardworking and in the right place at the right time, you can earn great experience and contribute a truly valuable service to the society. I started out as a clerk and worked my way up to Assistant Manager in a few months time. I felt what I was doing was important.

Cons

Once at management level, the hours can be long and the responsibility and intensity are challenging. The application and background check paperwork are long and tedious.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Sys Administrative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sys Administrative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They hired good people, I was a sys admin, working later hours. It was mostly a bunch of the same things to handle night after night but the people we helped were professional. I enjoyed both the work and the people.

Cons

The hours were a bit rough for me, I'm an early bird. It took a while to get hired, lots of paperwork, having the federal officer talk to my neighbors was a hoot. Most of us were contractors, would have been nice to be a real employee.

Keep up the good work, hiring good people and letting them get the job done.

great employer.

I worked at US Census Bureau (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours to coordinate with home life. Clear duties and plenty of training. Great people to work with.

Cons

If you are a people person none.

My experience with the US Census Bureau was rewarding and it tested my knowledge and potential and business skills.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager for Recruiting in Lexington, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager for Recruiting in Lexington, SC

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You will learn how to work with diverse personalities. Sharpen your people skills and the ability to size people up.

Cons

Setting goals, with a tracking plan to make things happen. The cooperation and dedication of the employees working with me was exceptional.

Hire people that know their strengths and abilities to get a job done without problems. When faced with problems, find solutions as soon as possible and implement them.

I was an Enumerator and my job function was to obtain personal information for 2010 census

Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time

Pros

The group I previously worked with were all displaced mature workers from banking companies, stock, etc. and had an interest in doing their job efficiently. The locale was close to my home, no car necessary.

Cons

Trying to convince individuals that the information we are obtaining would not have a negative impact on their immigration status.

Excellent, great people

Former Employee - Field Operations Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Field Operations Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work ethic, compensation was fair, good opportunity to meet new people and provide a service to the USA. Enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Some of the upper management were unqualified, and slowed the work effort, most were from the Regional headquarters, politics was the rule apparently in the Regional office.