US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.8

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 49 reviews)

• Decent pay with flexible hours and opportunities for growth and promotion (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience with the US Census Bureau was rewarding and it tested my knowledge and potential and business skills.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager for Recruiting in Lexington, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager for Recruiting in Lexington, SC

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You will learn how to work with diverse personalities. Sharpen your people skills and the ability to size people up.

Cons

Setting goals, with a tracking plan to make things happen. The cooperation and dedication of the employees working with me was exceptional.

Hire people that know their strengths and abilities to get a job done without problems. When faced with problems, find solutions as soon as possible and implement them.

Excellent, great people

Former Employee - Field Operations Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Field Operations Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work ethic, compensation was fair, good opportunity to meet new people and provide a service to the USA. Enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Some of the upper management were unqualified, and slowed the work effort, most were from the Regional headquarters, politics was the rule apparently in the Regional office.

I was an Enumerator and my job function was to obtain personal information for 2010 census

Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time

Pros

The group I previously worked with were all displaced mature workers from banking companies, stock, etc. and had an interest in doing their job efficiently. The locale was close to my home, no car necessary.

Cons

Trying to convince individuals that the information we are obtaining would not have a negative impact on their immigration status.

Great place to work. Staff are collaborative , friendly. and mission focused.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff are very mission focused. Teams generally work well together. Good work environment. Flexible work schedules. Free parking.

Cons

New senior executives want to be involved in every decision. Very frustrating for senior level management. The location of the Census Bureau is not in the safest area.

Truly empower staff. Allow them to make decisions.

Easy Work, Nice Supplemental Income

Former Employee - Crew Leader Assistant in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Crew Leader Assistant in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You get to choose your own work hours, receive plenty of work assignments, and get to work with a small team. We received a work phone [a mobile device called i-phone 5 made by Apple], were fully-trained to perform our work duties, and received plenty of help from upper management, IT, and fellow workers. Decent Pay in sync with Cost of Living expenses and received mileage reimbursement.

Cons

It's a short-term contract work with no career outlook.

Make sure all Crew Leaders are people of Excellence.

Good temp job

Former Employee - Enumerator in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I worked at US Census Bureau (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible. Paid well compared to other part time work.

Cons

Some sketchy neighborhoods and peoe that don't like to answer questions.

Very Pleased with experience

Former Employee - Crew Leader in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Crew Leader in Knoxville, TN

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours and opportunities for crew leaders and upper management. Worked with my families schedule to accomplish mission goals and keep employees happy.

Cons

temporary work. Would love to work full-time with the bereau

Allow a way to apply for longer term jobs for your management. If there is already a way, ensure it is passed down through your chain of command.

Nice mix of independent field work and teamwork.

Former Employee - Enumerator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Portland, OR

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good extra money, can set your own hours for the most part and ability to work in the field without a lot of supervision.

Cons

Hours are not set or determined, often short notice for scheduling so you have to be ready and basically on call.

It would be nice to for the bureau to keep well qualified leaders on retainer so there is not so much turnover, but that is the rub when you conduct these surveys every decade.

Expansive, engaging and enlighening

Current Employee - Enumerator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Enumerator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This organization is tasked with collecting a plethora or data on our US citizens. It was really interesting visiting areas of the city I never knew existed and working with those whom I enumerated. I was thrilled to be included in all operations from beginning to end. And, it was a super way to earn extra money at a good rate of pay.

Cons

While the work was engaging, I felt that sometimes the "office" folks did not always know how to deal with field operations. In the morning we'd have a set of rules and by the afternoon that would change. Also, I felt that even though some processes required repetition, that some of them just did not seem necessary. Just my opinion.

I'd be sure that you were all in agreement and in concert with one another so that the entire process made sense, was consistent and enabled field operations to have a truly successful experience. Also, be sure that the supervisors are engaging and not drill sergeants.

Great - boring but good

Former Employee - Census in Sonora, CA
    Former Employee - Census in Sonora, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for what you do

Cons

None it is a census. Job is pretty straight forward so you know what you are getting into

Great managers