US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.9

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 53 reviews)

• Decent pay with flexible hours and opportunities for growth and promotion (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

It comes around every 10 years and if you're available it's a good way to get lots of exercise, fresh air and sunshine.

Former Employee - Enumerator  in  Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Riverhead, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time for less than a year

Pros

You will learn your way around your personal county on Long Island or wherever you are from because you do receive a section to work on and return to over and over until you get everyone to fill our their census forms.

Cons

Some people are nasty about it. They do not want to be counted. They do not trust the system. They act like this is some futuristic plot to control them. Genealogically speaking, the census is important in that their family in years to come will want to find them. At any rate, I was cursed and threatened a couple of times. The office tells us not to pursue these people.

Great job, just didn't last long enough

Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working around smart people. The level of intelligence was higher than anywhere I have been.

Cons

Some people with the very high intelligence were lacking in social/people skills and were abrasive.

Great in-between job or job for retirees if you have the right managers in the office for the decennial projects.

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the family atmosphere that was easily created between all the temporary workers. Excellent opportunity to learn different skills and have varying projects to work on if you easily get bored with the mundane.

Cons

Part of what makes this type of operation difficult is the temporary nature of it all. It is definitely not suggested for someone to use this experience as a gateway into the Census Bureau for a full-time career, as the opportunities are very limited. The career paths into the ongoing Census projects outside of the Decennial Census are mainly through the management positions, which are also few and far between.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was A Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Enumerator  in  Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Clermont, FL

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They pay really well and the training is great. I loved the people I worked with and they were always willing to help out. As a whole my group was very organized and followed all the laws exactly.

Cons

The work can be irregular and may have to deal with difficult people. Also depending on where you live you may be outside in the heat or cold.

Data Collection and Public Relations

Current Employee - Senior Field Representative  in  Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Representative in Hayward, CA

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interaction with diverse population including learning of various cultures in our area. I enjoy people and this job gives one the ability to do home visits and see folks in their own environment.

Cons

Convincing folks to participate in U.S. Census Bureau Surveys, especially when the person has a negative view of government.

It is helpful when management works in the field as due the field personnel so they can have a realistic view of what field representatives encounter.

Simple and constitutionally-mandated work

Former Employee - Office Clerk  in  Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Office Clerk in Merrillville, IN

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time for less than a year

Pros

One can see one's accomplishments by the end of each day

Cons

It was only a seasonal, temporary way to make extra money

Make use of the staff in a more permanent way

Good work environment

Former Employee - Survey Statistician  in  Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, easy, and relaxed work environment. Does not get too stressful and you can work at your own pace

Cons

A bit boring at times, hard to move up if you don't want to and easily get stuck in the same position.

None

enjoyed working with the public on such an important assignment, gathering info that is used to make a different

Former Employee - Enumerator  in  Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Macon, GA

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time for less than a year

Pros

enjoyed working independent, traveling to different counties, meeting people from different backgrounds and social involvement

Cons

working in inclement weather conditions was the worse but the job itself made the con worth working in the heat, rain a non issue

as a part time seasonal worker I didn't expect benefits, or promotion. I was offered and accepted an extended assignment which worked out great, there was little down time from one assignment to the next

Great opportunity to contribute to the community and great flexibility

I worked at US Census Bureau

Pros

I was able to set my own hours. I liked learned about parts of the community I hadn't previously explored. While challenging, meeting members of the community, educating and encouraging them to participate for the good of the community was a rewarding experience.

Cons

The work was more physically challenging than expected due to walking from door to door in the heat of the summer in the south.

A great place to work.

Former Employee - Census Enumerator  in  Hannibal, MO
    Former Employee - Census Enumerator in Hannibal, MO

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are working with really cool technology, outside in the fresh air. No sitting in a dreary office.

Cons

Again, you are out in the fresh air, but you do a lot of walking and driving about. Sometimes don't know what you might run into. A lot of people don't know what you are doing and aren't cool with having gov't employee showing up unannounced on their property.

If there were more workers out in the field to help out with the workload and the word was put out better that we would be conducting surveys in their neighborhood, things would go more smoothly for both census takers and fellow citizens.

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!