US Census Bureau

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.8

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 49 reviews)

• Great pay- as a crew leader is was paid about (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I would do it again.

Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This was my second temporary assignment as a Field Operation Supervisor. Each time I had a staff of 85 census takers go door to door where they lived to take surveys of the changing demographics. It was rewarding to meet new people and to be apart of the decennial census taking. I had an awesome supervisor.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is that the assignments where quick and short in nature. We had to meet a strict timeline and deadlines as we reached several phases of the project. To their credit, it was what we agreed and signed up for. The position required me to recommend terminating staff assignments that did not meet quota or violated the agency policy while taking census. Sometime there were too many steps to terminate an assignment.

Assign a FOS to focus just on personnel matters and FOS to focus on filed operations.

great work atmosphere.

Former Employee - Enumerator in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Bronx, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great people interaction for customer relations experience & social services.

Cons

not enough work hours per week.

stop hiring so many people and giving less hours per employee.

Good flexible temporary part time

Former Employee - Census Worker in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Census Worker in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training, Ok pay, Mileage reimbursement, Flexible, decent level of autonomy for self motivated persons.

Cons

Some supervisors just didn't care about their jobs or any one else's. Training was full time hours when work was part time. Sometimes going into really scary places.

Screen supervisors better. Offer part time training for part time work.

Great way to get to know your community!

Former Employee - NRFU Enumerator in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - NRFU Enumerator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay. Flexible hours, so it is easy to work as a second job. Great training and the team leaders were available any time you needed them.

Cons

Lasts only for a couple of months every ten years. I would have felt safer in some neighborhoods if they would have sent us out in teams of two.

Very busy!! - on the go steady and over all very good experience

Former Employee - Enumerator in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at US Census Bureau as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Got reimbursed for mileage, time starting when I left home to get to office 90 miles away. Fellow associates were wonderful and very helpful to work with, the training provided was excellent the very through.

Cons

Very Long Hours! No over time pay! and working at weekend events, sitting on ICE! Long driving commutes all over the state, even tho mileage was reimbursed it was a lot of miles and wear and tear on my car. Weather conditions at times were dangerous. Supervisor was very unkind! NOT Nice and picked her favorites when assigning events!

Get into the field! You have NO idea what it is like in a large Rural low unpopulated region or reservation!

Field Operations Supervisor

Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provided great training, even though verbatim training can make you crazy - when you were done you knew what you were doing. The people I worked with in the field were amazing.

Cons

While some people were amazing, there were those that were power-hungry abusers. There was no good way to make sure that the abusive back-stabbers got fired. I had to go in a clean up the mess and it was appalling what had been allowed to happen to a great team.

People do a better job if they feel validated, appreciated and supported. There needs to be a better way to evaluate the really poor and often abusive supervisors.

Invaluable and accurate information gathered at very little expense to the public.

Current Employee - Office Automation Clerk in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Automation Clerk in New York, NY

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is rewarding and the staff is very diverse. A dozen languages are spoken in our office and we include people from all walks of lfe. This is a federal job so the benefits are generous. Advancement opportunities are not common but there is a possibility for a motivated individual to rise to management.

Cons

As the name implies the organization can be a bit bureacratic. Change is slow but statistical work requires that trends be tracked over a great period of time and that is the nature of the job.

Intense, yet fulfilling opportunity to work for the government

Former Employee - Assistant Manager of Quality Assurance in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager of Quality Assurance in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

During a census year, if you are bright, hardworking and in the right place at the right time, you can earn great experience and contribute a truly valuable service to the society. I started out as a clerk and worked my way up to Assistant Manager in a few months time. I felt what I was doing was important.

Cons

Once at management level, the hours can be long and the responsibility and intensity are challenging. The application and background check paperwork are long and tedious.

U.S. Census Bureau

Former Employee - Assistant Manager for Technology in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager for Technology in Boston, MA

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent wage, very nice people, rewarding work

Cons

very demanding work schedule; required to work weekends as well.

Design better enterprise applications

Never dull, modest pay, very little teamwork

Current Employee - Field Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You meet new people every day and learn about their lives -- confidentially. You can't tell anyone who you see or what they say. You just get statistics. It's a job where honesty and integrity are appreciated. All training is on-the-clock. All mileage is paid.

Cons

You work alone and report to your immediate supervisor. There is very little interaction with the other reps.
    And you can't tell your family any details. This is a job with little room for advancement. The hardest part is not knowing how many hours you'll be working next week. The work is gradually being phased from in-person interviews to on-line surveys.

More bonuses would be good for morale.