US Census Bureau

www.census.gov

US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training(in 53 reviews)

• Decent pay with flexible hours and opportunities for growth and promotion(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature(in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator(in 10 reviews)

Excellent workplace, talented managers & coworkers, & a perfect introduction to federal employment.

Office Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Bangor, ME

ProsThe hours were perfect, the experience working for the federal government invaluable, & the creative, hard working team environment was phenomenal!

ConsThe hardest part was that it was only a temporary position which ended shortly after the Census itself ended. I would have loved to have continued to work in the Admin office, & potentially worked my way up to the Regional office, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was exceptional place to work!

Fun temporary job that pays well

Enumerator (Former Employee) Morehead, KY

Prosthorough instructions, excellent supervision, encouragement, daily meetings, mileage payment, working outdoors, meeting new people, constant variety, semi-independent work, choosing your own hours, being assigned a partner, getting to see the country

Constemporary work only, dangerous roads, dangerous dogs, hostile people, off-road driving, catching people at home, persuading suspicious people to cooperate, remote locations

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Solid place to work, but not a career-starter

ProsPleasant Co-workers. Very reasonable work expectations. Nice benefits

ConsAssignments are very much out of your control. Bureaucracy is not as bad as you might expect, but cans still be frustrating.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a 'Recruiter', spent most time on the telephone. As an 'Enumerator', spent most time ouDetailed but interesting work.

Recruiter/Enumerator (Former Employee) Hollywood, FL

ProsNice working conditions, we had new office furniture, equipment, etc. A/C worked every day ! Pay scale was very good for the area.

ConsNot all, but some immediate supervisors were condescending and overbearing to their workers. Unacceptable raising of voices, especially in front of other people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the issue and have training in social problem identification and solutions through realistic communication channels. It might increase retention and productivity.

Comfortable work environment with people who take their work seriously

Survey Statistician (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat work environment; flexible schedule/telework. Highly motivated people who take their work very seriously. It's nice knowing that the work really matters and has huge implications for numerous stakeholders.

ConsHaving a doctorate degree does not elevate your starting position or influence. Perception of expertise is based on tenure at job, rather than skills possessed prior to Census.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't underestimate the skills and expertise of lower-level employees. Empower employees and give them more opportunities to voice their ideas and innovations.

Excellent experience. Helping the city level and country accurately gather demographic data which helps with funding.

Census Enumerator (Former Employee) Concord, CA

ProsOpportunity to work with people

ConsHouseholds were hard to get a hold of or uncooperative.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more structure. at times it felt like temporary managers had no answers to daily problems.

A great summer job

Crew Leader (Former Employee)

ProsQuickly hired, excellent pay, and very flexible hours. Was able to give my crew what they needed and worked with some wonderful, intelligent and hard-working people.

ConsI did not like sending my crew into dangerous areas after dark. I did have people team up when I could. It was frustrating working with management above me.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed not micromanage employees.

Fun! Different from other part time jobs.

Enumerator (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsSurprising flexibility in hours worked/times worked...Good pay. Working outside in summer. Getting exercise. Working close to home.Nice coworkers. Nice manager. Made friends.
    Interviewing people to collect data was interesting. I truly enjoyed meeting and talking with people.

ConsVery few..sometimes felt I was walking into slightly dangerous situations. I knew my manager was always just a phone call away, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. It worked! Too bad it's only once every ten years.

Best job I ever had! Wish the census was every year.

Census Worker (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay!!! Work your own, flexible hours. Got to clock time for anything census related, including using the internet for census relating searches. I enumerated in a small town, so danger wasn't an issue for me. I really felt like I was contributing to something important doing this job. It was also really cool how there was a different mixture of people hired on as well. I worked amongst a lot of elderly people and people who might find a hard time finding employment elsewhere.

ConsIt's not a full-time position!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo America!

Good pay for a young person but a dangerous job, nonetheless.

Enumerator (Former Employee)

ProsHired immediately, good way to make extra money, you make your schedule, compensated well for every mile you drive

ConsWorked alone, some homes were potentially dangerous environments, had to deal with rude people, short-lived job

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least pair up the enumerators.

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!