US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
664 reviews filtered by
3.8
John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 49 reviews)

• Great pay- as a crew leader is was paid about (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 12 reviews)

1. Enjoyable experience

Former Employee - Crew Leader in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Crew Leader in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at US Census Bureau

Pros

Flexible Hours, Reasonable Pay, Healthy work env't

Cons

Gathering private information, overly structured.

Be more flexible

2. It is a good place to work, but we can make it better.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours. Friendly co-workers. Reasonable workload. Fairly open communication with immediate supervisor and managers. Good health and retirement benefit. Plenty young people joined our ranks in recent years.

Cons

Not enough communication between teams on different areas. Some employees are disengaged. We lag behind the private industry for about 2 to 3 years on the technology product we use. Not enough knowledge transfer when experienced employees retire.

To discourage office politics, group thinking, and red taps as much as possible. Assign the right people for the right job. Hire employees with skill set that close related to their job functions. Encourage collaboration between different groups. Encourage adopting new technology and new ideas.

3. Office Clerk

Former Employee - Office Clerk in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Office Clerk in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau (less than a year)

Pros

To work with a lot of different kinds of people. Gain experience to service for people.

Cons

The office is not organized very well.

No comment.

5. Excellent taste of a "real job" for a college student. Would strongly recommend looking into them.

Former Employee - Crew Leader in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Crew Leader in Lafayette, IN

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was really good, and the flexible hours were great.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, lots of paperwork and red tape, but that was part of the job.

I had a great supervisor, so I don't have much advice to offer. He was good at explaining things clearly and getting things done.

6. I loved working for the census bureau8. As long as you did your job correctly and on time you were good. I loved it

Former Employee - Crew Leader in Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Crew Leader in Springdale, AR

I worked at US Census Bureau

Pros

Field workers work on your own, get paid for mileage and plenty of work.

Cons

On your own schedule andt hen after a week you are pushed harder and harder to perform

Be ,more responsible about taking care of employees that should never work the census in following years. come up with better maps

It hasn't been a rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Accountant in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Accountant in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau

Pros

Depending on the branch, you may learn a lot of federal accounting.

Cons

Poor management. CPA, master's, or any additional degrees or certifications aren't considered for promotions neither appreciated. Lack of common sense and consistency in processes. A lot of arbitrary decisions. Promotions based on favoritism. Unrealistic expectations.

8. Assistant Manager for Field Operations, 2010 Decennial Census

Former Employee - AMFO
    Former Employee - AMFO

I worked at US Census Bureau

Pros

Never a dull moment. Job is best described by 1 word, flexibility! Things change quickly and often more then once. It gives you the opportunity to think fast and react quickly. Allows you to use your brains and not necessarily go by the book.

Cons

Not for the thin skinned because you are always under pressure and thank you's and good job and praise, come rarely!

Not everything, and every moment is a catastrophe.

9. I was an enumerator in the 2010 census. It was an awful job.

Former Contractor - Non-Response Followup Enumerator in Kearney, NE
    Former Contractor - Non-Response Followup Enumerator in Kearney, NE

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent and the work was interesting, at least. It was a summer job, so my prospects for advancement were limited, but I could definitely see the paths available.

Cons

I was forced to drive 60 miles every day at 4 in the morning to have pointless meetings with my supervisor. This obviously wouldn't be the case for every census employee, but it really sucked any positives out of this job.

Daily supervisor meetings just aren't necessary at all. Especially if you're wasting government money to pay for employees to drive long distances for them.

Beats not eating

Current Employee - Statistical Clerk in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Statistical Clerk in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay isn't too bad, but then your paid as much as someone who just reads a newspaper or Bible at their guest
    Part time Intermittents are paid an hourly rate. Absolutely no overtime or benefits, but you can work up to 39 1/2 hrs.
    If you just want 20 hrs per week, they are happy to schedule that, but you will work Sat or Sun.

Cons

entrenched mentality, "diversity" programs, applying for other positions they take the affirmative action candidate or the one with the most seniority, don't expect to be shining up the name tag on your door, just the cubicle where you sit.
    Your paid the same as the as the guy/girl next to you who just reads magazines all day. Expect to see your schedule posted next to last minute & hours are cut all the time. Vacancies are haphazardly filled to the whims of the current Administration.
    Don't expect reasonable hours or time off when you want it unless you plan it over 30 days in advance. Work most holidays, always on the weekend, & no overtime. If a crisis comes up, expect to work over unless it will be overtime. Supervisors will thwart your career if it helps theirs.

I could make recommendations just like I do at work, but they will print the page & use it as toilet paper. Later they will send me a "thank you" note. If they do use an idea, they will send me a button. Monetary awards are for Senior & Upper management, not for peons.

11. I liked it.

Former Employee - Enumerator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Chicago, IL

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You set your own hours. I liked working in my neighborhood. I liked interviewing people.

Cons

It was necessary to work some evenings and weekends. Sometimes there was no work for a week or more.

Be organized. Clearly express what you want done.