US Census Bureau

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.8

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 49 reviews)

• Great pay- as a crew leader is was paid about (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Aspects of the job as an quality control numerator

Current Employee - Quality Control Numberator in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Control Numberator in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Positive aspects of working as a quality control numerator include the opportunity to interact with internal and external customers of various ages, nationalities, sexual orientations, and religions. Another enjoyable aspect of working in this capacity includes, developing a trusting relationship were clients are at easy while answering personal questions.

Cons

Some of the negative aspects of working in this capacity includes the uncertainty of the client’s reaction when they are approached at their residences. The locations and times of the day often can create some anxiety of the unknown. Keeping up with the required documentations can become overwhelming if a system is not created to stay on top of the constant flow of information and expectations.

Working with upper management I found to be rewarding when the manger was personable and willing to give an audience to other staff members, experiences and suggestions. I found working as a team player expectations were met and a since of accomplishment was had, when task were completed while other had not been able to accomplish the task.

Chicago Bureau of the Census Area Manager

Former Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to multifaceted continual and intermittent operations, while working with large staff in 5 Local Census Offices, Great management experience allowing to interview and train staff for various operations.

Cons

Very demanding and stressful operation with unending challenges and demands are overwhelming

review work loads and allow for more overtime for all staffed based on work overloads to complete by predetermine deadlines. Executive Management must allow more time to hire additional staff and more time to train. Operations deadlines were always impossible to complete in a 40 week. The massive recruiting, staffing and multiple field operations at height of operations require budget reviews to provide overtime that can not always be requested in advance because of technology failures and unforeseen challenges related to weather, travel delays, late delivery of training materials, equipment and equipment (computer failures and overloads of data entry, not enough time given to have all filed office ready for opening, more time given for implementing recruiting staff, testing, interviewing selection of staff, training and staffing up field offices.

This position was a true learning experience.

Former Employee - Field Operations Clerk in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Field Operations Clerk in Memphis, TN

I worked at US Census Bureau

Pros

Federal government position with good pay.

Cons

I didn't see any drawbacks in working here.

Need more people supervisors instead of robots

My experience was very rewarding and satisfying. Training and support staff were excellent and courteous to the team.

Former Employee - Census Worker in Logan, OH
    Former Employee - Census Worker in Logan, OH

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good and always on time. We met every morning as a team to discuss goals, accomplishments, and challenges. The rest of the day was filled with independent work locating property addresses and completing surveys. Flexibility was great. I met a lot of really nice people within the community.

Cons

The job was only temporary and this was the biggest downside. I would have liked to have continued working with the Census Bureau, even if it was in a different aspect.

Little advice to recommend because these positions only need to be filled once a decade.

Great for what it is

Current Employee - Enumerator in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Enumerator in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great for such an easy job, and the hours were very flexible.

Cons

Dealing with angry and uncooperative citizens while the supervisors push you to push the angry people further.
    Temporary position

Independent but Helpful

I worked at US Census Bureau

Pros

Meeting new people, different environments, high pay, gas compensation and commissions

Cons

Weather conditions, walking door to door alone

Pair individuals up for safety

Great Organization for temporary work.

Former Employee - Recruiting Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiting Assistant in Columbus, OH

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job was straight forward; supervisors were professional and easy to get along with, getting paid for mileage was a big plus.

Cons

Unfortunately this was temporary work with no advancement.

None, most likely the 2020 Census will be done electronically.

Always Something on the Horizon

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your work is important and valued since the U.S. Census Bureau is the source for many of the population and economic indicators in the U.S. As an IT person, I'm always working on various data collection instruments that each have unique requirements and will change as time passes. There isn't as much of a chance to get bored as there is always something coming down the pike. Also being across the street from the Green Line of the Metro, it is easy to get to the office.

Some divisions have ample opportunities to travel for work, especially if you work in the Geography or Field divisions. Census does offer flexible work schedules and telework, which many of us take advantage of. Generally there are good opportunities available career wise, just be ready to change divisions on occasion.

Cons

The location of headquarters is not in the safest of areas, Suitland, MD, though nothing has happened to me. If your'e not a fan of eating in the cafeteria or bringing lunch from home, walkable options are limited to Subway, Popeyes, Chinese, and Pollo a la Brasa. A number of divisions have been going through reorganizations so there has been the growing pains of shuffling departments.

Make sure employees continue to feel valued.

very convenient—make your own hours.

Former Employee - Enumerator
    Former Employee - Enumerator

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was pretty much able to determine my own schedule when I was working here. You get basically a script to do the interviews, so you don't really have to come up with anything to say yourself.

Cons

It only comes around once every 10 years. Also, sometimes people aren't very nice and/or don't want to answer your questions.

Was a Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great, even though we do not get pay raises as we use to. It may be more worthwhile to get a get outside of the govt doing a comparable job. And the best perk is Job Stability and knowing you should not get laid off (aside from fire-able offenses).

Cons

They are reorganizing now and pretty much clueless as to what they are doing. As well as having employees do more work, but for the same pay. Mind you in the past 5 years they have only increased pay 2% cumulatively over 5 years. Mgmt acts (and they may truly be unaware since they lack proper leader skills) clueless that employee morale is sinking fast. And that does not mention all of the millions of things we must do now that waste more time. Prime example - having to fill out 3 different time sheets!!!! As far as job advancement is concerned you may be a little limited in options.

Mgmt needs a lot of help really. Mainly because they dont hire leaders that went to school for Mgmt. They simply think anyone can be a leader and essentially anyone does become one. There are no real requirements to advance really, just that you have connections. My advice is that you hire people that truly know about leading people and managing vs just picking any kid off the street and making them one.