US Census Bureau

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
3.8

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 49 reviews)

• Great pay- as a crew leader is was paid about (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I consider it a privilege and an honor.

Current Employee - Field Representative in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Springfield, IL

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great; meeting new people every day; easy to get excited about protecting peoples' privacy; amazing additional perks, decent superiors, love traveling, room for advancement, an honor to work for our Federal Government, create my own hours, beating deadlines gives me a rush

Cons

Usually a part-time position, I wish I could work more hours as allowed by Federal Law

Bring training to us instead of us traveling to Oakbrook, though I do love traveling.

Decent internship

Former Employee - Intern in Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance, flexible schedule allows you to chose your work hours as long as you do 40 a week. Never saw employees working more than this.

Cons

Lots of bureaucratic red tape prevented me from working on any serious projects as an intern instead I hopped around smaller projects

I would do it again.

Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This was my second temporary assignment as a Field Operation Supervisor. Each time I had a staff of 85 census takers go door to door where they lived to take surveys of the changing demographics. It was rewarding to meet new people and to be apart of the decennial census taking. I had an awesome supervisor.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is that the assignments where quick and short in nature. We had to meet a strict timeline and deadlines as we reached several phases of the project. To their credit, it was what we agreed and signed up for. The position required me to recommend terminating staff assignments that did not meet quota or violated the agency policy while taking census. Sometime there were too many steps to terminate an assignment.

Assign a FOS to focus just on personnel matters and FOS to focus on filed operations.

great work atmosphere.

Former Employee - Enumerator in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Bronx, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great people interaction for customer relations experience & social services.

Cons

not enough work hours per week.

stop hiring so many people and giving less hours per employee.

Good flexible temporary part time

Former Employee - Census Worker in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Census Worker in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training, Ok pay, Mileage reimbursement, Flexible, decent level of autonomy for self motivated persons.

Cons

Some supervisors just didn't care about their jobs or any one else's. Training was full time hours when work was part time. Sometimes going into really scary places.

Screen supervisors better. Offer part time training for part time work.

Great way to get to know your community!

Former Employee - NRFU Enumerator in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - NRFU Enumerator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay. Flexible hours, so it is easy to work as a second job. Great training and the team leaders were available any time you needed them.

Cons

Lasts only for a couple of months every ten years. I would have felt safer in some neighborhoods if they would have sent us out in teams of two.

Invaluable and accurate information gathered at very little expense to the public.

Current Employee - Office Automation Clerk in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Automation Clerk in New York, NY

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is rewarding and the staff is very diverse. A dozen languages are spoken in our office and we include people from all walks of lfe. This is a federal job so the benefits are generous. Advancement opportunities are not common but there is a possibility for a motivated individual to rise to management.

Cons

As the name implies the organization can be a bit bureacratic. Change is slow but statistical work requires that trends be tracked over a great period of time and that is the nature of the job.

Very busy!! - on the go steady and over all very good experience

Former Employee - Enumerator in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at US Census Bureau as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Got reimbursed for mileage, time starting when I left home to get to office 90 miles away. Fellow associates were wonderful and very helpful to work with, the training provided was excellent the very through.

Cons

Very Long Hours! No over time pay! and working at weekend events, sitting on ICE! Long driving commutes all over the state, even tho mileage was reimbursed it was a lot of miles and wear and tear on my car. Weather conditions at times were dangerous. Supervisor was very unkind! NOT Nice and picked her favorites when assigning events!

Get into the field! You have NO idea what it is like in a large Rural low unpopulated region or reservation!

Field Operations Supervisor

Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provided great training, even though verbatim training can make you crazy - when you were done you knew what you were doing. The people I worked with in the field were amazing.

Cons

While some people were amazing, there were those that were power-hungry abusers. There was no good way to make sure that the abusive back-stabbers got fired. I had to go in a clean up the mess and it was appalling what had been allowed to happen to a great team.

People do a better job if they feel validated, appreciated and supported. There needs to be a better way to evaluate the really poor and often abusive supervisors.

U.S. Census Bureau

Former Employee - Assistant Manager for Technology in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager for Technology in Boston, MA

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent wage, very nice people, rewarding work

Cons

very demanding work schedule; required to work weekends as well.

Design better enterprise applications