US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

3.9

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 53 reviews)

• Decent pay with flexible hours and opportunities for growth and promotion (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent workplace, talented managers & coworkers, & a perfect introduction to federal employment.

Current Employee - Office Operations Supervisor  in  Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Office Operations Supervisor in Bangor, ME

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours were perfect, the experience working for the federal government invaluable, & the creative, hard working team environment was phenomenal!

Cons

The hardest part was that it was only a temporary position which ended shortly after the Census itself ended. I would have loved to have continued to work in the Admin office, & potentially worked my way up to the Regional office, etc.

It was exceptional place to work!

Fun temporary job that pays well

Former Employee - Enumerator  in  Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Morehead, KY

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time for less than a year

Pros

thorough instructions, excellent supervision, encouragement, daily meetings, mileage payment, working outdoors, meeting new people, constant variety, semi-independent work, choosing your own hours, being assigned a partner, getting to see the country

Cons

temporary work only, dangerous roads, dangerous dogs, hostile people, off-road driving, catching people at home, persuading suspicious people to cooperate, remote locations

Keep up the good work

Solid place to work, but not a career-starter

I have been working at US Census Bureau

Pros

Pleasant Co-workers. Very reasonable work expectations. Nice benefits

Cons

Assignments are very much out of your control. Bureaucracy is not as bad as you might expect, but cans still be frustrating.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a 'Recruiter', spent most time on the telephone. As an 'Enumerator', spent most time ouDetailed but interesting work.

Former Employee - Recruiter/Enumerator  in  Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Recruiter/Enumerator in Hollywood, FL

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nice working conditions, we had new office furniture, equipment, etc. A/C worked every day ! Pay scale was very good for the area.

Cons

Not all, but some immediate supervisors were condescending and overbearing to their workers. Unacceptable raising of voices, especially in front of other people.

Address the issue and have training in social problem identification and solutions through realistic communication channels. It might increase retention and productivity.

Comfortable work environment with people who take their work seriously

Current Employee - Survey Statistician  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Survey Statistician in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment; flexible schedule/telework. Highly motivated people who take their work very seriously. It's nice knowing that the work really matters and has huge implications for numerous stakeholders.

Cons

Having a doctorate degree does not elevate your starting position or influence. Perception of expertise is based on tenure at job, rather than skills possessed prior to Census.

Don't underestimate the skills and expertise of lower-level employees. Empower employees and give them more opportunities to voice their ideas and innovations.

Fun! Different from other part time jobs.

Former Employee - Enumerator  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Rochester, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Surprising flexibility in hours worked/times worked...Good pay. Working outside in summer. Getting exercise. Working close to home.Nice coworkers. Nice manager. Made friends.
    Interviewing people to collect data was interesting. I truly enjoyed meeting and talking with people.

Cons

Very few..sometimes felt I was walking into slightly dangerous situations. I knew my manager was always just a phone call away, though.

Keep it up. It worked! Too bad it's only once every ten years.

Best job I ever had! Wish the census was every year.

Current Employee - Census Worker
    Current Employee - Census Worker

I have been working at US Census Bureau as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great pay!!! Work your own, flexible hours. Got to clock time for anything census related, including using the internet for census relating searches. I enumerated in a small town, so danger wasn't an issue for me. I really felt like I was contributing to something important doing this job. It was also really cool how there was a different mixture of people hired on as well. I worked amongst a lot of elderly people and people who might find a hard time finding employment elsewhere.

Cons

It's not a full-time position!

Go America!

Excellent experience. Helping the city level and country accurately gather demographic data which helps with funding.

Former Employee - Census Enumerator  in  Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Census Enumerator in Concord, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to work with people

Cons

Households were hard to get a hold of or uncooperative.

A little more structure. at times it felt like temporary managers had no answers to daily problems.

A great summer job

Former Employee - Crew Leader
    Former Employee - Crew Leader

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time for less than a year

Pros

Quickly hired, excellent pay, and very flexible hours. Was able to give my crew what they needed and worked with some wonderful, intelligent and hard-working people.

Cons

I did not like sending my crew into dangerous areas after dark. I did have people team up when I could. It was frustrating working with management above me.

Need not micromanage employees.

Good pay for a young person but a dangerous job, nonetheless.

Former Employee - Enumerator
    Former Employee - Enumerator

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hired immediately, good way to make extra money, you make your schedule, compensated well for every mile you drive

Cons

Worked alone, some homes were potentially dangerous environments, had to deal with rude people, short-lived job

At least pair up the enumerators.

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!