US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.8

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 49 reviews)

• Great pay- as a crew leader is was paid about (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Pay, equally great experience.

Former Employee - Enumerator in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Greensboro, NC

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are contributing to your country, in a way that helps your community. By documenting the population, you learn how to serve it better! Great people from all walks of life to work with, as well as interview. You are paid well, and reimbursed for mileage which definitely is a plus. You log your own hours, and can choose to work together or alone. Got definitely learn the in's and outs of your city and surrounding area like you've never known it before!

Cons

No cons, except I wish it lasted longer, although I did move on to other "operations" that my counterparts were not chosen for. If you can follow paperwork protocol, and make the effort, you'll be fine.

A great starter job for a recent college graduate!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They have a great starting pay, especially for a recent college grad.
    The hiring process is quick. One easy over the phone interview and that was it.
    Low stress environment
    Random office parties

Cons

They make almost everyone "intermittent" status
    No perks, unless you are a full time employee, but it is hard to become full-time.
    All those positions are given to the military veterans.

Help assist laid off employees into other career paths.

It comes around every 10 years and if you're available it's a good way to get lots of exercise, fresh air and sunshine.

Former Employee - Enumerator in Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Riverhead, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn your way around your personal county on Long Island or wherever you are from because you do receive a section to work on and return to over and over until you get everyone to fill our their census forms.

Cons

Some people are nasty about it. They do not want to be counted. They do not trust the system. They act like this is some futuristic plot to control them. Genealogically speaking, the census is important in that their family in years to come will want to find them. At any rate, I was cursed and threatened a couple of times. The office tells us not to pursue these people.

Great job, just didn't last long enough

Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working around smart people. The level of intelligence was higher than anywhere I have been.

Cons

Some people with the very high intelligence were lacking in social/people skills and were abrasive.

Great in-between job or job for retirees if you have the right managers in the office for the decennial projects.

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the family atmosphere that was easily created between all the temporary workers. Excellent opportunity to learn different skills and have varying projects to work on if you easily get bored with the mundane.

Cons

Part of what makes this type of operation difficult is the temporary nature of it all. It is definitely not suggested for someone to use this experience as a gateway into the Census Bureau for a full-time career, as the opportunities are very limited. The career paths into the ongoing Census projects outside of the Decennial Census are mainly through the management positions, which are also few and far between.

Was A Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Enumerator in Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Clermont, FL

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They pay really well and the training is great. I loved the people I worked with and they were always willing to help out. As a whole my group was very organized and followed all the laws exactly.

Cons

The work can be irregular and may have to deal with difficult people. Also depending on where you live you may be outside in the heat or cold.

Sloppy, inefficient beyond entry level

Former Employee - RA, Enumerator in North Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - RA, Enumerator in North Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, flexible working hours. Opportunity to meet with many people in the community.

Cons

Motto in my district was: "The more inefficient you are at your job, the sooner you get promoted." Promotions seemed to be based on cronyism, rather than merit.

Reward employees that perform up to and beyond expectations. Give more detailed training to those in management positions.

This was a temp position assisting with office paperwork needed by field census takers which I found quite ok.

Former Employee - Field Office Clerk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Office Clerk in New York, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There was lots of overtime in the beginning, the office atmosphere was relaxed and casual, and since it was temporary there was not a lot of office politics to worry about.

Cons

There weren't many cons I can think of because the stint was so short. I was only sad when it was over because some of my co-workers were really nice.

Don't make it your career

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good if you want to use your skill for a socially redeeming purpose

Cons

but terrible if you think you are going to be allowed to innovate.

Many managers should just retire...

A great place to work.

Former Employee - Census Enumerator in Hannibal, MO
    Former Employee - Census Enumerator in Hannibal, MO

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are working with really cool technology, outside in the fresh air. No sitting in a dreary office.

Cons

Again, you are out in the fresh air, but you do a lot of walking and driving about. Sometimes don't know what you might run into. A lot of people don't know what you are doing and aren't cool with having gov't employee showing up unannounced on their property.

If there were more workers out in the field to help out with the workload and the word was put out better that we would be conducting surveys in their neighborhood, things would go more smoothly for both census takers and fellow citizens.