US Census Bureau

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
3.8

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 49 reviews)

• Great pay- as a crew leader is was paid about (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

It comes around every 10 years and if you're available it's a good way to get lots of exercise, fresh air and sunshine.

Former Employee - Enumerator in Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Riverhead, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn your way around your personal county on Long Island or wherever you are from because you do receive a section to work on and return to over and over until you get everyone to fill our their census forms.

Cons

Some people are nasty about it. They do not want to be counted. They do not trust the system. They act like this is some futuristic plot to control them. Genealogically speaking, the census is important in that their family in years to come will want to find them. At any rate, I was cursed and threatened a couple of times. The office tells us not to pursue these people.

Great job, just didn't last long enough

Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Field Operations Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working around smart people. The level of intelligence was higher than anywhere I have been.

Cons

Some people with the very high intelligence were lacking in social/people skills and were abrasive.

Great in-between job or job for retirees if you have the right managers in the office for the decennial projects.

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the family atmosphere that was easily created between all the temporary workers. Excellent opportunity to learn different skills and have varying projects to work on if you easily get bored with the mundane.

Cons

Part of what makes this type of operation difficult is the temporary nature of it all. It is definitely not suggested for someone to use this experience as a gateway into the Census Bureau for a full-time career, as the opportunities are very limited. The career paths into the ongoing Census projects outside of the Decennial Census are mainly through the management positions, which are also few and far between.

Was A Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Enumerator in Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Clermont, FL

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They pay really well and the training is great. I loved the people I worked with and they were always willing to help out. As a whole my group was very organized and followed all the laws exactly.

Cons

The work can be irregular and may have to deal with difficult people. Also depending on where you live you may be outside in the heat or cold.

Sloppy, inefficient beyond entry level

Former Employee - RA, Enumerator in North Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - RA, Enumerator in North Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, flexible working hours. Opportunity to meet with many people in the community.

Cons

Motto in my district was: "The more inefficient you are at your job, the sooner you get promoted." Promotions seemed to be based on cronyism, rather than merit.

Reward employees that perform up to and beyond expectations. Give more detailed training to those in management positions.

This was a temp position assisting with office paperwork needed by field census takers which I found quite ok.

Former Employee - Field Office Clerk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Office Clerk in New York, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There was lots of overtime in the beginning, the office atmosphere was relaxed and casual, and since it was temporary there was not a lot of office politics to worry about.

Cons

There weren't many cons I can think of because the stint was so short. I was only sad when it was over because some of my co-workers were really nice.

Don't make it your career

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good if you want to use your skill for a socially redeeming purpose

Cons

but terrible if you think you are going to be allowed to innovate.

Many managers should just retire...

A great place to work.

Former Employee - Census Enumerator in Hannibal, MO
    Former Employee - Census Enumerator in Hannibal, MO

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are working with really cool technology, outside in the fresh air. No sitting in a dreary office.

Cons

Again, you are out in the fresh air, but you do a lot of walking and driving about. Sometimes don't know what you might run into. A lot of people don't know what you are doing and aren't cool with having gov't employee showing up unannounced on their property.

If there were more workers out in the field to help out with the workload and the word was put out better that we would be conducting surveys in their neighborhood, things would go more smoothly for both census takers and fellow citizens.

Good work environment

Former Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, easy, and relaxed work environment. Does not get too stressful and you can work at your own pace

Cons

A bit boring at times, hard to move up if you don't want to and easily get stuck in the same position.

None

Data Collection and Public Relations

Current Employee - Senior Field Representative in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Representative in Hayward, CA

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interaction with diverse population including learning of various cultures in our area. I enjoy people and this job gives one the ability to do home visits and see folks in their own environment.

Cons

Convincing folks to participate in U.S. Census Bureau Surveys, especially when the person has a negative view of government.

It is helpful when management works in the field as due the field personnel so they can have a realistic view of what field representatives encounter.