US Census Bureau Reviews

54 reviews filtered by
  • Suitland, MD
3.2
John H. Thompson

1. It is a good place to work, but we can make it better.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours. Friendly co-workers. Reasonable workload. Fairly open communication with immediate supervisor and managers. Good health and retirement benefit. Plenty young people joined our ranks in recent years.

Cons

Not enough communication between teams on different areas. Some employees are disengaged. We lag behind the private industry for about 2 to 3 years on the technology product we use. Not enough knowledge transfer when experienced employees retire.

To discourage office politics, group thinking, and red taps as much as possible. Assign the right people for the right job. Hire employees with skill set that close related to their job functions. Encourage collaboration between different groups. Encourage adopting new technology and new ideas.

It hasn't been a rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Accountant in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Accountant in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau

Pros

Depending on the branch, you may learn a lot of federal accounting.

Cons

Poor management. CPA, master's, or any additional degrees or certifications aren't considered for promotions neither appreciated. Lack of common sense and consistency in processes. A lot of arbitrary decisions. Promotions based on favoritism. Unrealistic expectations.

Decent place to internship.

Former Intern - Computer Science in Suitland, MD
    Former Intern - Computer Science in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules are great and the benefits of working for the government are great in having job security and good benefits.

Cons

Its the government so the pay is less then the private sector plus have to deal with life time bureaucrats who move a slow pace. Takes much longer to get anything done.

5. Always Something on the Horizon

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your work is important and valued since the U.S. Census Bureau is the source for many of the population and economic indicators in the U.S. As an IT person, I'm always working on various data collection instruments that each have unique requirements and will change as time passes. There isn't as much of a chance to get bored as there is always something coming down the pike. Also being across the street from the Green Line of the Metro, it is easy to get to the office.

Some divisions have ample opportunities to travel for work, especially if you work in the Geography or Field divisions. Census does offer flexible work schedules and telework, which many of us take advantage of. Generally there are good opportunities available career wise, just be ready to change divisions on occasion.

Cons

The location of headquarters is not in the safest of areas, Suitland, MD, though nothing has happened to me. If your'e not a fan of eating in the cafeteria or bringing lunch from home, walkable options are limited to Subway, Popeyes, Chinese, and Pollo a la Brasa. A number of divisions have been going through reorganizations so there has been the growing pains of shuffling departments.

Make sure employees continue to feel valued.

Was a Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great, even though we do not get pay raises as we use to. It may be more worthwhile to get a get outside of the govt doing a comparable job. And the best perk is Job Stability and knowing you should not get laid off (aside from fire-able offenses).

Cons

They are reorganizing now and pretty much clueless as to what they are doing. As well as having employees do more work, but for the same pay. Mind you in the past 5 years they have only increased pay 2% cumulatively over 5 years. Mgmt acts (and they may truly be unaware since they lack proper leader skills) clueless that employee morale is sinking fast. And that does not mention all of the millions of things we must do now that waste more time. Prime example - having to fill out 3 different time sheets!!!! As far as job advancement is concerned you may be a little limited in options.

Mgmt needs a lot of help really. Mainly because they dont hire leaders that went to school for Mgmt. They simply think anyone can be a leader and essentially anyone does become one. There are no real requirements to advance really, just that you have connections. My advice is that you hire people that truly know about leading people and managing vs just picking any kid off the street and making them one.

7. Decent internship

Former Intern - Intern in Suitland, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, flexible schedule allows you to chose your work hours as long as you do 40 a week. Never saw employees working more than this.

Cons

Lots of bureaucratic red tape prevented me from working on any serious projects as an intern instead I hopped around smaller projects

8. Great place to work. Staff are collaborative , friendly. and mission focused.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff are very mission focused. Teams generally work well together. Good work environment. Flexible work schedules. Free parking.

Cons

New senior executives want to be involved in every decision. Very frustrating for senior level management. The location of the Census Bureau is not in the safest area.

Truly empower staff. Allow them to make decisions.

Don't make it your career

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good if you want to use your skill for a socially redeeming purpose

Cons

but terrible if you think you are going to be allowed to innovate.

Many managers should just retire...

Good work environment

Former Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun, easy, and relaxed work environment. Does not get too stressful and you can work at your own pace

Cons

A bit boring at times, hard to move up if you don't want to and easily get stuck in the same position.

None

Managment is a mess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Government jobs and a new building outside of the DC city

Cons

Politics and agendas pervade every meeting and lack of foresight causes massive issues.

get some training.