US Census Bureau Reviews in Suitland, MD

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
3.9

John H. Thompson

Pros
  • Good pay especially during training (in 53 reviews)

• Decent pay with flexible hours and opportunities for growth and promotion (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Even with full time work, no benefits were provided because the jobs were intermittent in nature (in 25 reviews)

• Dangerous to go door to door in bad neighborhoods if you're an enumerator (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good work environment

Former Employee - Survey Statistician  in  Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, easy, and relaxed work environment. Does not get too stressful and you can work at your own pace

Cons

A bit boring at times, hard to move up if you don't want to and easily get stuck in the same position.

None

Don't make it your career

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good if you want to use your skill for a socially redeeming purpose

Cons

but terrible if you think you are going to be allowed to innovate.

Many managers should just retire...

Frustrating management and co-workers, repetitive work, lazy managers

Current Employee - Statistician  in  Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Statistician in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's the option of teleworking up to four times a pay period.

Cons

There are too many supervisors who are promoted based on their technical skills but not their management and people skills. Managers are more concerned about maintaining the status quo than improving how things are done. Upper management is laughably out of touch with what is going on in the agency, which makes for tone-deaf town hall meetings. There's definitely a lack of professionalism across this agency. Employees don't know how to engage with others in an appropriate manner, which makes for a very uncomfortable work environment.

Stop with the reorganizations, listen to feedback instead of ignoring it and doing as you please, encourage employees to work on projects that will help their work in the long-term, don't be short-term focused.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Managment is a mess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Government jobs and a new building outside of the DC city

Cons

Politics and agendas pervade every meeting and lack of foresight causes massive issues.

get some training.

Government at its finest

Former Employee - Information Systems Specialist  in  Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Information Systems Specialist in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I liked working for the Census bureau. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Too many bosses. Have 1 for every 3 employees. They are elevated to incompetence. Hard to change jobs within the bureau unless you know someone!

Low pay, mundane work

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flex work schedule is good, means you get every other Friday off. Public transit stipend. Nice new office building directly at the Suitland metro stop. Lots of interesting, professional, and nice people if you make the effort to meet them. Good cafeteria. Work hours were stable (no forced overtime)

Cons

I was able to finish most of my work by lunchtime, and there was no opportunity to take on additional work or learn about functions of other departments. I asked repeatedly for more things to do, and supervisor told me directly that she was unwilling to give me more work or let me learn from a different department. Pay was appropriate for the amount of work and skill needed, which means it was very low. The office building had a fence and a huge land moat around it to separate it form Suitland, which is not a pleasant or safe area (like much of southeast DC). So there was a long metro ride every morning and evening.

The low pay and mundane work would have been fine if I had the chance to work on additional projects - either my own or from a different department - in my free time. At least then I could have built some more experience. It seemed like the management wanted very much to keep people in their specified roles and didn't take too kindly to those who wanted to do more than what was specifically assigned.

Great experience, tuition assistance.

Current Employee - Statistician  in  Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Statistician in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A lot of training available (e-learn), tuition assistance, opportunities to move around, schedule flexibility.

Cons

Customer service to data users could be improved.

It was a great opportunity to learn more about the government and apply my academic skills in a professional setting.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The work environment is very friendly and my coworkers were very encouraging with regard to taking more responsibilities. There were always many events and the affinity groups promoted healthy living styles. My work schedule was flexible.

Cons

Commute-wise, it was a long way for me. In terms of opportunities for staying, my department was not hiring at that particular moment for my specific skill set.

Management is doing a great job regarding training and staffing. My supervisors were great people to work with and allowed me to grow as a professional.

Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Free parking, near metro, alternate work schedule, teleworking if you can get it, improved union management, gym (it's $35.00 a month, but Planet Fitness offers it for $10.00...go figure), loves to spend money on technology,

Cons

It's located in Suitland, waterless urinals, high priced cafeteria, nepotism and cronyism in the workplace, famous for creating review boards when GAO find faults, top heavy with minimum minority employees in management, reorganization every three years, no training, no promotions, veterans preference is frowned upon, security is a joke especially in IT, being proactive is a sign of weakness, image over substance, unethical and incompetent management. Unprofessional behaviors in meetings that reminds you of high school.

Provide training to your employees, you get what you put in. Hire and promote minorities. Please stop designating employees as points of contact (POC) for duties outside of their job. It is unfair, unproductive, and mismanagement of your employees. Instead hire sufficient people with the proper skills rather than having to borrow from other divisions. They already have a full time job. You have review boards and advisory groups, security POCs, SharePoint POCs, inventory POCs. Stop, stop designating employees as management just so that you can bypass union regulations, laws, and Union Management for the simple purpose of making it easy on yourself. Lastly, do the right thing and lead by example!!!!

Avoid the headquarters location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work - life balance, benefits, cafeteria, building, and walking trail

Cons

Managers make up their own rules regardless of agency-wide policy - example, employees are allowed two telework days per week according to telework policy; yet, many managers refuse to follow the policy and create a new policy for their own department. So instead of following the agency's mandated telework policy, random managers act as though they own their own island. The employees feel resentful and intimidated, and the managers are not held accountable.

Micromanagement is in peak form. Be sure you fill out your form on the day that you telework that details what you do each and every hour that you are teleworking.

Low morale in field division.

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!