US Chamber of Commerce

US Chamber of Commerce Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

US Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Thomas J. Donahue

Thomas J. Donahue

AWESOME!!! The company is destined for success if it continues at the current level or greater heights in their business

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
South Houston, TX

I have been working at US Chamber of Commerce as an intern for less than a year

ProsBuilding a network within a networking non-profit organization between all businesses in and around Houston, Texas. The ability to hire internally/externally and the ability to grow immensely in work development/promotions. Also, the group that I currently work with is awesome.

ConsPersonal issues for most employees, but the upside to this is, they do not allow those issues to interfere with their performance and personalities through professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen we show the value to employees who give their all to the job/responsibilities we usually are surprised by the feedback. Personal struggles effect us, and the slightest sign of appreciation brings some relief...;)

Working at the US Chamber of Commerce

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce

ProsExcellent Access to Companies and large base of corporate contacts.

ConsEndless squeeze for money. If it's not in your DNA, don't work there. Period.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney is not everything.

No Intern needed.

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce

ProsIt's a swanky organization to work at and there certainly are perks to working at the Chamber. Certainly no stress at this job!

ConsThey didn't really need an intern in the communications department. I felt more like their charity project because they didn't really have substantive things for me to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly hire an intern if you really do need one!

Disaster, in one word.

Representative (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time for more than a year

ProsI think the US Chamber really does help businesses with their lobbying power.

ConsFor the small business owner, they are lost in the shuffle. Not worth a membership and trying to sell them memberships when they are already financially strapped seems morally wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your model.

One of the Worst Employers in DC - Skip it!!

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time

ProsThe benefits are decent. I was given four weeks of paid leave right off the bat.

ConsI found the work environment to be hostile and unsupportive with the average employee leaving after only 18 months. A colleague of mine interviewed at the American Trucking Association after leaving the Chamber. The HR manager there confided in her, "After Tom Donohue left us, it took five years to make this a pleasant place to work again." That pretty much says it all.

Stale- Shift From Fighting for Enterprise to Fighting Change

Project Director (Former Employee)

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time for more than a year

ProsSome great colleagues, but also lots of "connected brother-in-law" hires. many opportunities to do great work.

ConsCEO Donohue is phoning it in at this point. Focuses on a few primary contributors. Somewhat deceptive astroturfing of members of local chambers of commerce. many members of civic chambers have no idea they are members, but they are always counted so the organization can pretend to have a broad base.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the 21st Century- or at least the late 20th.

Great place to network and get started

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time for more than a year

ProsGood exposure to trade associations/policy/lobbying world

ConsManagement
Compensation (senior managers get overpaid, staff level are underpaid)

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your staff more and they will stay longer

Important organization losing sight of the small business community

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRegardless of what capacity your job entails, when you work at the US Chamber, you're helping to defend the free enterprise system.

ConsThe US Chamber's vision, attention, and resources for small business has greatly diminished over the last 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis organization is without a doubt the leading voice representing the breadth of all businesses throughout the world. However, with a direct membership of consistently less than 50,000, it's legitimacy especially with regard to representing small business will continue to questioned. Consider putting more resources towards growing the small to midcap business sector.

Great place to work, management needs a lot of help.

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work - salaries and benefits are competitive and you're surrounded by great, smart people.

ConsH.R. does not serve as a buffer between management and their direct reports.

Advice to Senior ManagementH.R. needs to be a much more trustworthy place.

HR turns blind eye to shocking abuses by mgrs

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteraction with senior executives opens doors, provides good work experience

ConsToo partisan for its own good, limits its people more than it helps them. Pay is mediocre.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnchecked abuse by certain managers is tarnishing the reputations of you and your venerable organization.

Worked for US Chamber of Commerce? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Chamber of Commerce reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Chamber of Commerce CEO Thomas J. Donahue. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by US Chamber of Commerce employees.