US Chamber of Commerce

Updated August 7, 2014

3.7

US Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Thomas J. Donahue
Thomas J. Donahue

Great place to work and learn.

Pros

The exposure to new things and different companies

Cons

The work life balance could be improved. Several departments expect employees to work non-stop.

Bad Experience

Former Employee - Staff Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

Lots of different resources available

Cons

HR puts on blinders to blatant misconduct. This place is a joke and really accomplishes nothing

I worked for one of the business councils in their international department. It was a rare and unique experience.

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to interface with members/clients who are among the most powerful players in the D.C. circuit. You also learn a lot about international trade and commerce, and what keeps CEOs awake at night.

Cons

There is often a lot of bureaucracy and red tape in trying to get approvals for projects, signatures for paperwork / documentation, etc.

There should be more off-sites to promote culture and team-building

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

a fantastic place to work and grow your career

Pros

opportunity to engage in broad subject areas with some of the best and brightest in town, a positive and engaging culture.

Cons

the iconic building is in the heart of NW across from White House and official visits can make traffic a nightmare

keep up the good work

Great place to work

Pros

Good pay, great benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

A lot of turnover, depending on the department.

A great internship with many opportunities to learn

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

The location was awesome, across the street from the White House and close enough for a GW student to walk from campus. It is also very accessible to public transportation with the metro and buses just steps away. My supervisor was great and flexible, which I loved. The team allowed me to work independently and everyone was super welcoming, I felt like an important part of the team.

Cons

I can't speak to opportunities for full time employment following the internship since I was not interested in pursuing a career at the chamber, however, there didn't seem like a direct pipeline to a job. The internship program worked with a 3rd party (staffing agency) when it came to compensation, so there was no way to negotiate a hire rate of pay. The office is much quieter and stuffy? than I could handle on the long term but that might be good for others. I wish I had the opportunity to work on more meaningful projects.

Better development of the internship program would be helpful. Interns really only interact with their team and don't get to see the inner workings of how everything comes together. Office culture could be more welcoming.

AWESOME!!! The company is destined for success if it continues at the current level or greater heights in their business

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in South Houston, TX

Pros

Building a network within a networking non-profit organization between all businesses in and around Houston, Texas. The ability to hire internally/externally and the ability to grow immensely in work development/promotions. Also, the group that I currently work with is awesome.

Cons

Personal issues for most employees, but the upside to this is, they do not allow those issues to interfere with their performance and personalities through professionalism.

When we show the value to employees who give their all to the job/responsibilities we usually are surprised by the feedback. Personal struggles effect us, and the slightest sign of appreciation brings some relief...;)

Working at the US Chamber of Commerce

Pros

Excellent Access to Companies and large base of corporate contacts.

Cons

Endless squeeze for money. If it's not in your DNA, don't work there. Period.

Money is not everything.

No Intern needed.

Pros

It's a swanky organization to work at and there certainly are perks to working at the Chamber. Certainly no stress at this job!

Cons

They didn't really need an intern in the communications department. I felt more like their charity project because they didn't really have substantive things for me to do.

Only hire an intern if you really do need one!

Disaster, in one word.

Former Employee - Representative  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Representative in Charlotte, NC

Pros

I think the US Chamber really does help businesses with their lobbying power.

Cons

For the small business owner, they are lost in the shuffle. Not worth a membership and trying to sell them memberships when they are already financially strapped seems morally wrong.

Change your model.

Worked for US Chamber of Commerce? Contribute to the Community!