US Citizenship and Immigration Services

CEO

Good place to wrk

Current Employee - Immigration Services Officer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Immigration Services Officer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Citizenship and Immigration Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good schedule, cases can be interesting. Flexible with opportunities to promote rapidly ( by fed standard)

Cons

Case load can be significant, sometimes rushed. Overlook some details that could impact cases.

More time to process cases.

I worked there as an intern and had a good experience

Former Employee - Law Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at US Citizenship and Immigration Services as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of writing, so you'll be able to add to your writing sample. And they give you a tour of some of the other immigration agencies, so it was a good introduction to immigration work for the federal government.

Cons

They didn't have a good place for the externs to work. We were all in the same room, and sometimes it was hard to get work done.

Asylum Officer

Current Employee - Adjudications Officer
    Current Employee - Adjudications Officer

I have been working at US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Pros

Great team to work with
    Job security

Cons

Impossible deadlines for complex assignments

Work on fair distribution of work and improvement of staff morale.

Great Job for College Interns but No long term opportunities for career groeth

Former Employee - Office Automation Clerk in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Office Automation Clerk in Washington, DC

I worked at US Citizenship and Immigration Services as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, hands on learning, great pay, opportunities to travel.

Cons

No room for advancement is the only major area that I would like to point out. Many higher officials have been in the same position and making $100,000 while those who have been working there for YEARS are still making entry level salaries.

A miserable place to work.

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Citizenship and Immigration Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice location, right downtown, walking distance from train station.

Cons

Management has nothing but personal agendas, and the opinion, background, and experience of the employees are completely ignored.

Please go someplace else, and allow honest people to do their jobs!

Frustrating! Exceptions are the rule, not immigration law. Run the other way.

Current Employee - Immigration Services Officer II in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Immigration Services Officer II in Newark, NJ

I have been working at US Citizenship and Immigration Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good if you stick with it. Not much else.

Cons

You have to leave your dignity and self respect at the door. This is the government, they hire who they want, they fire who they don't want. They create arbitrary guidelines and have a very haphazard way of accepting or rejecting officer decisions.

Learn how to lead, not just how to dictate. Treat people with the respect that they deserve. Try to remember what it was like when you were coming up.

Typical Federal Service

I worked at US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Pros

You have job security once you make it out of probationary period. The benefits are decent. Your hours are rigid and overtime is strictly voluntary.

Cons

There are difficult people to work with, more so I think than in the private sector. No merit based system of recognition or rewards. Heavy office politics.

It's the government so really no point in making suggestions. There always seems to be a completely different agenda from the one being shared with the public.

Great Mission

I have been working at US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Pros

Mission is awesome an the people are committed to it

Cons

No cons in working there. Everything is great!

People are friendly and quietly go about their work.

Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Citizenship and Immigration Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I got a promotion and was able to remain in Washington DC when my old job moved to Memphis, TN.

Cons

I'm not doing the same type of work I was before, which is business analysis, staffing analysis and budget formulation and analysis.

None.

Management had no interest in quality or fairness of service to those served; only cared about meeting deadlines.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at US Citizenship and Immigration Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits; opportunity to serve your country and help potential new citizens; good people to work with; significant investment in training.

Cons

Wrong things are tracked and rewarded: management earns bonuses for meeting deadlines, so employees are pushed to ignore or gloss over complex or problematical cases; application of law/rules by employees varies so much that gross inequality of treatment of immigrants is endemic.

Stop treating your employees like problems to be managed. Meetings should focus on teaching adjudicators how to apply the law/rules in a way that is fair and consistent. It's ridiculous to set up interview schedules so that interviewers are pushed to complete even uncomplicated cases within the time allowed; there is no provision for addressing difficult or complicated cases. Also, offices supposedly have the services of fraud investigators, legal counsel, etc., but the rank-and-file have no access to them, and management refuses to involve them, probably because that slows things down.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services Photos