US Coast Guard
www.uscg.mil Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

US Coast Guard Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

US Coast Guard Commandant of the Coast Guard Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Pros:
  • "Free training, steady pay and benefits"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great benefits, ethical work force, and the APO division is very well administered"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Generally spend great amount of time away from family"
    in 12 reviews
  • "A lot of time is spent away from home"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good organization.

ProsThe most laid back of all military branches. Good benefits and programs designed to help young families. The missions of the Coast Guard stand out among the five military branches and are something that I can get behind.

ConsThe military culture is something that I have never been a fan of and the inflated ego's at times. Frequent moves can be difficult as well. In my six and a half year career my family has moved four times.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun the organization closer to a business and understand the importance of efficiency.

US Coast Guard

Aviation Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)
    Atlantic City, NJ

ProsBenefits; education; training; pay & allowances; vacation

ConsMoving every few years is difficult on family, especially the children.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize micro-management and how it negatively affects your personnel. Provide clear tasking with desired results then step back and let your people make it happen. If, as a supervisor, you have done your job correctly, your people will get the job done correctly and most importantly, safely.

Fantastic armed force with real, operational missions.

ProsPeople orientated, humanitarian and law enforcement mission focused.

ConsAbsolutely none - every assignment a joy, every mission worthwhile.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

22 years of service

ProsThe Coast Guard has been much more than a place of employment for me, it has provided me with training and experience to excel in life, not just the organization. It places a high value on its personnel by encouraging success in all members incentives for education and training and regularly providing human relations training. Also has an excellent work/life program for assistance with personal problems off the job.

ConsInherent in the missions is the likelihood of time away from home for stretches of a few weeks or even months away from home.

Great experiences

Prosmoney for school, travel to great places, benefits, and you learn a lot.

Conswork-life balance, depending on your job the watch rotation can be depressing.

Can't Remember the Bad...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Missions, the excitement, the friends. Moving to a new exciting place every 4 years

ConsMoving every 4 years. Bureaucracy of a large government organization, but not as bad as the other services, by far. Promotions are based on a test score, not merit or performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefocus to our core missions, stop eating your members and remember to fight for them at all costs against the people at the top who look to make examples of members who make mistakes.

The Coast Guard is an excellent organization with good leadership and some of the best people I have ever met.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a Coast Guard family... literally. Co-workers care about each other and will do everything they can to help when there is a problem at work or at home. You get excellent job training with good pay and benefits, including the retirement, medical and the GI Bill.

ConsSome assignments may require long hours and/or deployments. You may not always be home for the holidays, birthdays, etc. It helps tremendously to have support at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that no one stands alone. It is a team effort. Seek input from every member of your team and make sure that their ideas are heard and implemented when possible.

A strong and meaningful career for those who choose this way of life - a potentially valuable first step for others

Officer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsMeaningful work, it's not about the bottom line it's ultimately about service which is important. Often the work can be exciting and challenging, this does depend on your job however since not all billets are the same (or equal)

The community is fantastic and many, many of your peers / co-workers will be some of the most productive and effective colleagues you could ask for.

ConsDepending on field, there could be a lot of inertia... but often that can be overcome with a reasonable plan and doing a lot of the leg work for change up front.

While many of your peers will be fantastic to work with, those who are not all stars are normally dead weight. Both seem to exist in equal parts in the organization. If you're in a unit with more all stars than drifters then the experience can be great however the opposite can be true as well.

While the organization is trying, work/life balance doesn't exist and that sometimes can be draining.

SIMPLY THE BEST

Enlisted USCG (Current Employee)
    Yorktown, VA

ProsWork-Life balance, pay, benefits, opportunities to grow and learn for future endeavors. You get what you put in to it. If you want to be successful, you will be. Get to choose where you want to go. Assignment Officers will be forthcoming with you and provide you with additional guidance regarding your career path. Counselors are available through the Chain-of-Command (COC). Talk to your supervisor(s) as they have the most experience and will assist you.

ConsYou don't get to travel as much :( Many join the Armed Forces for different reasons. You should know that the US Coast Guard protects our coast lines and US properties. Yes, they conduct missions on the "High Seas", but only with specific missions, e.g., Drug Interdiction, Alien Migrant Interdiction, and Search and Rescue.

electrician, engineer, ship builder, instructor, responder

W3 - Chief Warrant Officer (Current Employee)
    Mobile, AL

Prosserve country, given responsibility, get retirement, seldom shot at

Conslow pay long hours, little say in w

Worked for US Coast Guard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Coast Guard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Coast Guard CEO Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr. . All 297 reviews posted anonymously by US Coast Guard employees.