US Coast Guard

www.uscg.mil

US Coast Guard Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

US Coast Guard Commandant of the Coast Guard Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Pros
  • Free training, steady pay and benefits(in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits, ethical work force, and the APO division is very well administered(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Generally spend great amount of time away from family(in 12 reviews)

• Inherent in the missions is the likelihood of time away from home for stretches of a few weeks or even months(in 11 reviews)

Great Organization to work for

ProsSteady employment from four years to thirty years. Excellent benefits

ConsEnlisted have to retire after serving 30 years while officers can do up to 40 years

USCG

ProsGreat organization
    Family oriented
    Take care of their members

Consconstantly moving every 3-4 years
    very bureaucratic
    currently downsizing

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to move from old school micro-management and centralized style of leading to modern leadership of empowerment and innovation

Amazing work environment and colleagues

Clerk (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe Coast Guard "does more with less people." It's a small community and everyone works incredibly hard and supports one another. You get tons of experience quickly and have a great network of people around you. People are incredibly motivated and it's just the best work place.

ConsWith the federal government making budget cuts across the board, room for advancement has become more limited in recent years. I think things are starting to improve, but it's always a slow process with the federal government.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good organization

Electronics Technician (Former Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsGood pay as a senior member

Consnone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Excellent Opportunities for Career Development

US Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer (Current Employee)

ProsIt is an excellent opportunity to learn a career trade. The US Coast Guard is part of the Department of Homeland Security but you get all the same benefits of those military members part of the Department of Defense. You have excellent stability as long as you meet the minimum requirements of the service and if you keep your nose clean.

ConsYou will run into bad leaders but for the most part leadership is pretty good.

Review

ProsExcellent benefits and opportunities for all

Consextended deployments and short staffing can keep you from home.

Dynamic Career just like Southern weather; if you don't like it, wait a few months and it will change.

E-7 Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsWhere else can you make $100,000 a year without a college degree and a guaranteed street paycheck. However, you will work HARD in dynamic weather and with short notice changes to your mission. You will get to travel and see places that will make you appreciate the wonderful country we live in.

ConsIf you cannot adjust well to constant change you may have a difficult time in this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease socialization of changes to create a realistic expectation within the minds of personnel. You don't have to constantly sell the idea that the Coast Guard is a great organization to those that already serve, we know it's great; just look at the retention rates.

A career in the United States Coast Guard

Pros30 days of vacation earned each year, as well as health and dental insurance provided to the member and family. Tuition assistance and GI bill available to each member.

ConsTraining is very limited as are the varieties of opportunities available. It is also very hard to promote through the ranks. As an enlisted member the wait time to get job specific training can take up to 3 plus years in some cases.

Congress is failing the CG

Machinery Technician (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsExperience translates into the private sector. The pay is good if you make rank quickly. So don't slack and be a 8 year E4

ConsBudget issues, aging fleet, the government changes contracts to better their own stance. If you get a DUI off duty you are gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to congress. Also the standards to get in, and make it to retirement are almost impossible. No one is perfect.

Exciting work, difficult bureaucracy...

Port Engineer (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsThere are ample opportunities for great experiences and leadership development. Oftentimes you are given opportunities to make a direct impact in the operations of the Service.

ConsThere is a lot of micromanaging and certain positions require you to work 60-70 hours a week or more. Despite claims to the contrary the Service is less a meritocracy and more of a "don't rock the boat" atmosphere. High performers wanting to make a difference tend to be drowned out or shut up.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for US Coast Guard? Contribute to the Community!