US Coast Guard Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
4.0

US Coast Guard Commandant of the Coast Guard Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.
Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Pros
  • Free training, steady pay and benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits, ethical work force, and the APO division is very well administered (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Generally spend great amount of time away from family (in 13 reviews)

• Time away from home (3 month in/ 3 month out patrol schedule on the ship I was stationed on) (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

DEAD END

Current Employee - Training Specialist
    Current Employee - Training Specialist

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job security can be a great incentive, especially in these trying times. The jobs here can be very rewarding IF you are willing to stagnate for years and retire at the predetermined maximum of the position you hired in at.

Cons

Some jobs are dead-end in the civilian workforce, and its hard to receive recognition for major achievements. Each workplace set of rules are different when it comes to advancement. The stock answer to these issues is "You can't get there from here" and "no one knows". If you intend to further your career, a civilian job won't get you there unless you know someone (nepotism runs RAMPANT).

Provide ALL of your valued civilian workforce with a path to improve themselves and advance upward BASED ON MERIT, NOT THE GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB.

A profound growth experience that allowed me to improve my leadership, technical skills, and respect for life & country

Current Employee - Military
    Current Employee - Military

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Coast Guard, like all military services, builds leaders and dedication in individuals. It also provides excellent training that will help anyone become successful even after they decide to leave the military. Service to you country give individuals an extreme amount of pride and respect in their communities.

Cons

Military service does require some sacrifice but in the end those sacrifices are outweighed by the benefits military service affords its members.

I had a great experience with the CG, it is a very dynamic service with an excellent workforce

I worked at US Coast Guard as an intern

Pros

Great leadership and very professional

Cons

Too many layers in the chain of command, often times difficult to solve simple problems

listen to the individual member that is actually conducting the operation

This is the best professional decision I've made in my life!

Current Employee - Pretty Important Person in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Pretty Important Person in Boston, MA

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, medical, dental, honest work, training, roof over my head, travel the world, opportunity to save live, help protect the environment, and be apart of something average people couldn't understand.

Cons

Your at the governments beckon call, often people or supervisors are rewarded for being jerks, and more often than not, your risking your life every single day. We could be always payed more cash.

Do away with commissioned officers (academy and OCS grads). More often than not the enlisted work force has more college under their belt than officers unlike in the early years, officers had schooling and were groomed to be leaders. Utilize the enlisted ranks to advance and allow the Warrant Officers and the senior enlisted (Master Chiefs and Senior Chiefs) to run the Coast Guard. I feel the Coast Guard will run more efficient, safer, and a higher degree of effectiveness would be achieved. Also, we should be exempt from paying federal taxes because it is the very taxes we pay that get turned around to pay our own salaries. It doesn't equal a win, we actually lose more than the average person besides, we volunteer to provide the cloak of freedom that this country and it's people live under every day of their life.

Contract inspections for civil engineering projects along west coast

Former Employee - Contracting Officers Representative in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Contracting Officers Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity of projects which made work interesting, fun and you were always learning.

Cons

They amount of computer problems in the field and if you couldn't get connected you had to wait until you got back to the station. Whens things were going well the upper administration would try and reinvent the wheel.

Enjoyed working with them but yearly manditory training was getting old.

My take on the CG

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time

Pros

Get to see the world for your job.

Cons

Can require long hours at odd times.

Outstanding employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

US Coast Guard is a fantastic team committed to serving the nation and keeping our waterways safe. Everyday has been an adventure. Consistently served with outstanding people

Cons

Staff jobs can sometimes demand more time away from family than operational tours. New headquarters in DC is a wonderful building but it is difficult to reach as a commuter.

Commissioned Officer

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worthwhile missions, leadership potential at relatively junior levels, exposure to a variety of roles and responsibilities within a single organizations.

Cons

Moving every two to four years can be hard on the family, especially on spouse's career.

Hard work with great benefits.

Current Employee - LTJG in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - LTJG in Alameda, CA

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Earned leave, consistent pay, upward growth.

Cons

Constant moving, long hours, bosses are hit or miss.

US COAST GUARD RESERVE

Current Employee - Machinery Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Machinery Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at US Coast Guard part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun job, good camaraderie, mostly only weekend work, some active duty opportunities

Cons

depending on your command, you may have to hunt people down for c schools, active duty time, or advancement sign offs. and the active duty people will dislike you for no reason at first, but you can earn their respect.

most chiefs are great and look out for their people, but for those who only care about how their people make them look: grow a set. Stop obsessing over GMT and dental readiness and start helping the lower ranking guys out with their career development.