US Customs and Border Protection

Updated March 2, 2015
3.2

US Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner David V. Aguilar
David V. Aguilar

Fulfilling experience with inadequate management

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection as an intern

Pros

Once you are assigned a task, you get the opportunity to run with it and solve the problem your own way. Able to interact with individuals from various agencies and stake-holders giving you additional perspective and career enrichment.

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing or what the issues are. I would even go so far as to say that some leadership has no idea what their employees even do.

Get more involved with your employees and try to stay aware of on going issues.

Most awful, miserable place I have ever worked at- never join.

Former Employee - Auditor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Auditor in Chicago, IL

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

I have never encountered such hostility

none

Data Analyst then Budget Analyst (Intern) - Worked in CBP | OIT | LSS | DAC - went to CBP | OIT | WSPD | BOB

Current Employee - Data Analyst/Budget Analyst in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst/Budget Analyst in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection

Pros

CBP was very good to its interns (benefits wise). Started as GS-05 Step 1 (Very low by the way) - got to step 3 when I was about to leave. Good retirements, lots of government benefits. Some people will also give you a government discount if you mention it. GEICO gave me an extra 10% off. Sorta nice to say you worked for the government. Paid a lot for my training in FAR, COR, Sharepoint, LCCE, etc. Nice to have government holidays off and to have good vacation leave

Cons

Management here doesn't care about you. Will easily replace you with contractor if they can. JOIN THE UNION!!! The government managers can be very shady. When I worked at WSPD, my managers promised me one thing then broke it the next. Don't trust your directors, they don't have your back. Literally work until your step grade is up or your GS7/9/11 program finishes. After that, move on to another government job. They promised me a job at the end of my 3.5 year internship (which by itself is kinda odd), but they fired me because of "Lack of Performance" (After I got a JAC Award from the Director that said my performance was outstanding)...Went to a DoD contractor after that.

Stop playing favorites. Stop making false promises, Stop having your managers do your bidding and politics when you are too scared to. Stop saying one thing but doing the next.

Great years

Former Employee - Border Patrol Agent in Laredo, TX
    Former Employee - Border Patrol Agent in Laredo, TX

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation and benefits were out of this world. The actual job was a lot of fun and you get the opportunity to help people. They mostly provided some excellent training.

Cons

The mission was not fully supported by the management. Shift-rotations played havoc on personal life and sleep. Career development was based on seniority and favoritism instead of performance and merit.

Make all decisions to support the mission

CBP is hiring Female Border Patrol agents and officers

Current Employee - Officer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Officer in Miami, FL

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only the stable benefits and TSP equivalent 401K program where Gov't. matches only 5% of your pay.

Cons

Zero work life balance. If your are a female and aspire to have quality of life, family and children, truth be you won't. This is a male dominated managed "good old boy" system run management with many having been former military. This is not an employer to work for if you want a balanced good work life and family. Gross mismanagement.

Government needs to change management styles to allow quality life like big companies Google and Facebook, etc. allow. Allow Females across the agency to have upward mobility in employment.

CBP Officer

Current Employee - CBP Officer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - CBP Officer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay once you've been in at least 3 years. Good opportunity to get overtime if you like working a lot. Benefits (health insur., life insur., 401K, etc.) are good.

Cons

The job can be repetitious at times as you will need seniority to get better assignments (which can take years). The agency is top heavy with management, and some of these managers know very little about the job. Favoritism is rampant and many officers are promoted based on who they know, not how much you know. There is little to no warning on forced overtime and you will likely have to stay for another shift (16 hour day total). The schedule can also disrupt your family life as some supervisors will not give you time off.

Promotions to upper management should be based on work ethic, knowledge of the job, and communication/people skills. Communication between upper level management and the officers is almost non-existent. Include the officers in meetings and solicit ideas from them. Put your employees first instead of pleasing management to get your next promotion.

Technical Writer – Field Support for US Customs and Border Protection

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Springfield, VA

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience and good people to work with.

Cons

Short term contracts and lack job opportunity to transfer over to the Federal government.

Create better ways for contractors to get into the Federal government.

Bureaucracy to the max and not the most impressive workforce

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection

Pros

Work-life balance is great
    Provides training
    Officers have good OT and pay opportunities

Cons

Bureaucracy was stifling. It feels like you have to write a memo to get approval to write the real memo.
    New approaches to problems, not welcome.
    Questioning the status quo, not welcome.
    Professional staff salaries are not that great
    Slow promotion track

Hire better people.
    Promote on merit and knowledge not on who is willing to relocate or knows someone.

CBP

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection

Pros

Job satisfaction, promotions and opportunities to move around the country.

Cons

Shift work and sometimes long hours standing up.

N/A

Satisfied

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection

Pros

Flexible and supportive with students participating in the Pathways program

Cons

Limited employment opportunities for recent graduates

US Customs and Border Protection Photos