US Customs and Border Protection

US Customs and Border Protection Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

US Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner David V. Aguilar

David V. Aguilar

My experience working for Customs was the best experience ever!

Customs Clerk (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe staff there was more family oriented than work related!

ConsI don't believe I've ever had a bad experience while working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice I can share but I will say your team are what an employee should strive to be a part of

Challenging work with not enough respect for the amount of work and hours that the employees put in.

Supervisory Customs Officer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat Benefits with a great retirement plan. Can be and exciting place to work

ConsManagement forgets the employees are not robots but human beings.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees with more respect. They are the ones doing the hard work and the long hours they are truly your front line in the fight against terrorism and illegal flow of drugs into the country.

Pretty valuable experience

Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsI worked as an Office Automation Clerk for two summers and part of one for a total of 3 summers. I got to learn everything about working in an office environment, IT, and dabbling in some admin work when I needed to cover for someone. It's also great having someone who I can always use as a reference. Didn't do any stereotypical intern work like getting coffee.

ConsDidn't always have any work to do. Sometimes I'd just sit there for an hour or so (maybe more) surfing the internet (of course Facebook was blocked) and/or on my phone. I got 2 of my supervisors in trouble for reading a book during my first summer. I've learned from that now but steady work should be a requirement. It's different for each office that an intern finds him or herself in.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you hire interns, give them to offices that will be able to have steady work for them. Also continue to help them out even after their contract expires so they can find a job after graduation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't.

CBP Officer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood pay and benefits. That's really about it.

ConsBad management, stupid people, poorly maintained facilities, inadequate staffing, micromanagement,

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your people like they're an asset, and not a disposable cog in a machine, and you would probably help morale.

A place where lazy, unproductive and uneducated people get promoted.

Marine Interdiction Agent (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsHigh Salary. Great Benefits. Non competitive advancement to GS-12. No education requirements for Supervisors. Job Security. The academy is really easy and no physical requirements once in the field. Being overweight/ out of shape is perfectly normal. Get paid to do absolutely nothing some days.

ConsIncompetent Supervisors that advanced through the ranks by the agency's growth. Redundant training. Since, nobody really gets fired if someone gets in trouble or messes up they usually end up being a supervisor. Mindless repetitive work. Health and Physical fitness is not a priority. Hiring process is very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example. Get a college degree.

Great job, good job security, lots of opportunity to move up.

CBP Officer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood job security, lots of opportunity to move up.

ConsNone, I plan to stay with the Agency until I retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, I am happy with how this Agency is being managed at this time.

Good for awhile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThey have an excellent benefits package

ConsThe atmosphere is too much like being back in high school, too many clicks.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to take their blinders off and not take everything at face value. There is to much unnecessary waste of time, resource's and talent.

CBP Officer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsThe pay is good with a lot of overtime but that's about it.

ConsWith much overtime comes no life.
    Little actual law enforcement. Sitting at work day in and day out watching many law breakers go about their day due to little to no enforcement.
    Basically TSA with a gun

Biggest con is most southern border port of entries(where CBP does most hiring) are by far some of the worst places to live in the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't take advice nor solicit advice.

SAN Engineer

SAN Engineer (Former Employee) Springfield, VA

ProsThe people I work with daily.

ConsParking is hard to find after 9:00 am.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe whole thing was great

Consthe hours can be hard on family

Worked for US Customs and Border Protection? Contribute to the Community!