US Defense Information Systems Agency

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.6
US Defense Information Systems Agency Director Lt Gen Ronnie D. Hawkins, Jr.
Lt Gen Ronnie D. Hawkins, Jr.

Pros
  • Gives you a good feeling supporting the war fighters (in 3 reviews)

• DISA encourages a professional and safe work environment (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • While there are some smart and dedicated professionals, there are also scores of workers who do the bare minimum (in 2 reviews)

• I don't have any cons at all regarding DISA (in 3 reviews)

1. Help Desk Technician

Former Employee - Information Technology & Systems Specialist in Oxon Hill, MD
    Former Employee - Information Technology & Systems Specialist in Oxon Hill, MD

I worked at US Defense Information Systems Agency (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to be a contractor supporting DISA are servicing Military and Civilian person, working with SIPRNET and NIPRNET, providing good customer services.

Cons

The one worst reason working as a contractor at DISA is that you will start to really enjoy the position then before you realize it the contract is ending and you miss the team.

2. Inconsistent Leadership, Culture, and Treatment

Current Employee - Senior Employee in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Employee in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at US Defense Information Systems Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Except for the watch floors the pace here is generally easy. They also allow wellness, 3 hours a week of exercise on the clock, and telework.

Cons

The strategic leadership provides an elevator speech / vague definition of our mission. The division leadership provides no usable definition of our mission. There is no strategic objective for either the agency or the divisions, and the leaders are picked as political favors. The most important qualification to be a senior employee here is to be a retired O-6 (Army heavily preferred) for a 15 or SES.

Employees are treated differently among the directorates and branches. For example, a friend works in "X" Directorate and reports to work 3 times on week one and 2 times on week two. The reason is they telework and have the compressed work schedule (cws). They also have an agency paid seat in a commuter van. In "Y" Directorate telework is frowned on but they want you to accept Ad-Hoc Telework so they can have you work when the rest of the area government is off due to heavy snowfall, but some Managers in "Y" look the other way when their favorite people use Ad-Hoc Telework as a full telework agreement. It just depends on if they favor you or do not favor you, and it has nothing to do with competence and job quality.

People can do nothing here and retire here. This is a con for those of us that "do" because rather than push those that "do not" they push us to get it done.

Our Comptroller was the only one to have passed a DoD audit. He complained about the way funds are used (look it up on-line) and nothing was done. He started in as a Whistle Blower and a Congressional Investigation started. He was removed from the Comptroller job and sent to a cubical in the Pentagon as retaliation. This case is in progress and we will see what happens.

Advice to Management

You keep giving us surveys on the environment. We keep saying they will be ignored and they are. Management wants no advice.

Stop reorganizing. The most recent was to streamline us yet some agency employees went from two levels of management to four. Where did you streamline?

3. DISA

Former Employee - Telecommunications in Fort Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Telecommunications in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at US Defense Information Systems Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technical teams and exciting projects

Cons

Commute. Bureaucracy could impede deployments and decision process making

5. Undergoing reorg, working through it, great potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at US Defense Information Systems Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meaningful work
    Excellent benefits (on-site gym, cafeteria, comprehensive employee assistance program)
    Telework friendly, pushing mobile technology
    excellent training opportunities (many on-site)
    current reorganization offers opportunity to correct some of the issues we currently face

Cons

have gone through multiple reorganizations over the past several years. Challenging environment, especially given DOD budget challenges.
    Too many senior leaders with input into same issue. Current reorg seems as though it will help address this issue.

Advice to Management

continue to engage in open, honest communication with your workforce. Will be especially important as the DOD works thru the current budget environment.

6. DISA Pacific

Current Employee - IT Operations
    Current Employee - IT Operations

Pros

Great place to work. There are a few people who try to maintain their little fiefdoms within the organization, but luckily, smart heads are abundant within the organization and try to put a cap on that when it starts to affect the quality of the work or the esprit de corps of the organization.

As with any government org, there are some people there who you have to twist their arm in order to get work accomplished, but most of the employees are customer focused and enjoy the feeling of mission accomplishment.

There is always free training going on (if you are in the IT) from some very reputable firms. I know there is a lot of other training for finance, HR, and personnel, but I never attended any of it.

Best part of the job is DISA treats you like an adult. You can schedule flex time..come in extra early in order to beat the traffic rush in the afternoon. Prioritize your work in your own way as long as you accomplish your work on time.

Cons

Hardest part of the job can be the geographical distance. DISA is a large organization. A project you need assistance on might fall under the jurisdiction of DISA Conus in Oklahoma, but if you are in Korea...it means staying up late to converse with them. After said help is given, you still must call back to Hawaii to get them to restart a system...Hawaii being 17 hours behind Korea.
    If you work in a small office, you are subject to small office quarrels/politics...and if there are only 5-10 people in the office and you quarrel with 3 of them...Makes for some GREAT office holiday parties or lunches!

Advice to Management

Share some of the great training that is offered with the field offices. In all fairness, most of it is, but there are some really good courses that they cannot send out to the field office sites, because it doesn't make sense fiscally.

7. Standard government poaition

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at US Defense Information Systems Agency

Pros

Low reaponsibility. Commute is easier than DC.

Cons

Difficult to effect change. The agency is overstaffed and must reduce federal staff.

Advice to Management

Na

8. Best 4 years of my professional career.

Former Employee - ASI Manager in Wheeler Army Airfield, HI
    Former Employee - ASI Manager in Wheeler Army Airfield, HI

I worked at US Defense Information Systems Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Family oriented atmosphere. Great management, lots of opportunities for promotion and advance pay. Lots of training.

Cons

The only thing I can think off is the occasional long hours but well worth it. Can't really remember any negatives.

9. DISA

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at US Defense Information Systems Agency

Pros

If you are a regular federal or military employee, there are benefits such as higher education, onsite gym, cafe, convenience store and health wellness.

Cons

Lack of organization and there is senior leadership micromanagement or failure to abide to own SOPs. For a service provider, there are areas in need of improvement. There is perception of favoritism in job hiring. Malingering employees who appear to get away with things. Personnel turnover on military side and civilian leadership with lack of solid leadership makes this organization an unpredictable place to work in.

Advice to Management

Allow people to do their jobs, stay in your lane of responsibility or better yet talk to your counterparts versus being one of many chiefs versus a good follower.

10. Bureaucracy vs excellence

I have been working at US Defense Information Systems Agency

Pros

Supporting US military information requirements gives a deep level of job satisfaction. Each brings new challenges and new technological concepts as well. There is vast room here to find a gap and make it your own to solve.

Cons

The agency has deep organizational and cultural challenges that make the daily work environment very frustrating. There are times each day that bureaucratic culture values stifle forward movement and creativity. Real rigor is needed to ensure that values and vision align and support both the organization and the individual!

Advice to Management

Take a more personal and visible role demonstrating the values of the agency. Senior leaders must be an examples to their organizations.

Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Technology Lead in Fort Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Technology Lead in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at US Defense Information Systems Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have no positive opinion of this agency.

Cons

Completely political with no application approach, no focus on mission, no strategic object for either the agency or organizations, incompetent leadership that are in key positions for political reasons, complete risk adverse placing all risk as well as all knowledge and requirements onto contractors to think and plan all ways ahead.

Advice to Management

Fire as many GS-15's and SES's as possible and allow upward mobility of those not indoctrinated by 20 years of post Cold War politics.

RSS Feed </> Embed