US Defense Intelligence Agency

Updated December 11, 2014
3.1

US Defense Intelligence Agency Director Lieutenant General Michael T. Flynn
Lieutenant General Michael T. Flynn

A good first defense job for mobility into other locations/US agencies

Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at US Defense Intelligence Agency

Pros

Excellent location, stable schedules, lots of entry-level positions opening on a yearly basis (notwithstanding defense budget decreases)

Cons

Many of the positions in mid/upper management is occupied by long-term employees waiting to retire, which makes career prospects in certain areas very limited

Passionate employees, noble mission

Current Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of many federal agencies with a mission to protect our homeland, and way of life. Challenging work with a reasonable work-life balance. Great federal benefits.

Cons

Very difficult to get in. No work from home option in this community.

none

No longer a good place to work for an entry-level analyst.

Current Employee - Intel Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intel Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, occasional opportunities to travel,

Cons

Poor training, compensation below average for other federal agencies, promotion potential is minimal, job assignments don't match skill sets

Entry level employees need solid training. Its ok to make promotions competitive, but there must be investment in growing the employee. There needs to be a culture of competition for the betterment of the agency instead of promoting people based on the number of years they've been in a position. Under utilization of talented employees is just as bad as promoting incompetent employees.

Once proud intelligence agency is now a politically-correct bureaucratic black hole

Former Employee - Intelligence Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting subject matter, always serving your country, and learning. The stability of government work always has some allure.

Cons

The agency has systematically purged military veterans, and now discriminates against in its centralized hiring process. In reference to DIA hiring practices, I had the Deputy Director for Intelligence Analysis say, "Oh ya, we got rid of all the retired O-4s and O-5s that used to work here. They didn't work very hard, and were prone to sexual harassment. They couldn't deal with a gender-balanced work place." I was in uniform when he said this. The agency has hired thousands twenty-something millennials, the majority of which have no military experience. How's that for our nation's "Defense" Intelligence Agency?

My God, make a decision! Lead! Get intelligence out of your damm email box, and out to the decision-maker and warfighter! It take over a month to get most DIA intelligence products out. This is simply negligent and disgraceful. Frankly, I felt sorry for the dozens of dweebs DIA has been pushing up the promotion ladder. I can only assume they find themselves feeling like some useless cog within a mindless borg-like machine.

Becoming smaller, younger and cheaper during state of persistent change.

Former Employee - Military in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Military in Washington, DC

I worked at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very diverse workforce. Great career-broadening and joint assignment opportunity for junior military. Clearly, there are some really bright young leaders now coming up through the ranks--both military and civilian. For better or worse, it seems there was a practice of grade inflation over the past decade or so, but that also means the civilian workforce is generally well-paid.

Cons

Workforce morale suffering. Agency grew too big and top heavy during war on terror (triple-digit SESs on the roster). Really needs some stability at the top, and a better mix/balance of civilian and military leadership throughout the agency.

Working on Defining Itself

Current Employee - SENIOR STAFF OFFICER in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - SENIOR STAFF OFFICER in Washington, DC

Pros

The Defense Intelligence Agency has a dynamic and results driven mission that significantly contributes to the the defense of the nation through providing intellience and early warning to senior strategic leades.

Cons

Senior management is lost and electively going through constant reorganizations.

Work throght the backlog of GS-13 and provide promotion opportunities for deserving employees. You have a super bloated mid-level and need to deal with this demographic reality.

Former Emplyee

I worked at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time

Pros

Local DIA leadership were wonderful. Great employee who were very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Headquarters leadership poorly deployed new processes with a lack of local input on how changes would affect those in the field. The headquarters organization was disorganized and changes were made without proper planning and execution.

Involve feedback from the field before making significant changes that effects customer relations and the locally deployed field offices. Thoroughly understand the consequences of organizational changes and be able to deliver and communicate a clear understanding of changers with confidence to the field.

A great place to be from

Former Employee - Intelligence Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good good good good people.

Cons

Senior leadership is unable to say "I don't know". The Agency is in the midst of serious change and turmoil, yet leadership offers promises and statements that they cannot follow through on - not because they don't want to, but because its not a decision they can make. Size, location, etc of the workforce will be determined by Congress, not the leadership.

You've promised so much more then you can deliver.

An Agency in the midst of evolution

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance can be challenging, but we're not abused like the military folks in our office. Leadership quality spans the entire spectrum of good - bad - ugly. Like any organization your boss can ruin your job or make it one of the most rewarding jobs you've had.

Cons

There tends to be an intense sense of competition with CIA that grows as you go up the agency hierarchy. Most analysts are very cooperative and collaborative with IC counterparts, so the competition is purely based on seniors' collective inferiority complex.

Reevaluate our roles and responsibilities to reduce duplicity and focus on collaboration with IC partners to support our customers.

Situation-dependent, but can be rewarding

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time

Pros

You can have a great experience at DIA as an analyst, but it really depends on the office you work in and the people you work with. That sounds cliched but office missions vary widely and so is the aptitude of managers and analysts across the organization.

Cons

bureaucratic to the point that you start to wonder whether anything you do has value.