US Defense Logistics Agency

Updated February 11, 2015
Updated February 11, 2015
3.7

CEO

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule, good pay, and benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and good pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This was difficult to learn having graduated with a business degree where we are trained for the private sector (in 4 reviews)

• Federal government work can be very rewarding, but you get out of it what you put in (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional IT and SharePoint Aministrator

Current Employee - IT Professional in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time

Pros

Self starter, disciplined, perfectionist, detailed oriented person, Six years of management experience. Management Aspects: Leadership skills; ability to read people, coach and mentor staff. Ability to lead with integrity, honesty, fairness, and trust. Ability to inspire every employees to reach their full potential and achieve excellence. Ability at developing and implementing policies and procedure.

Cons

Being such a perfectionist, that sometimes it can interfere with my job because I want everything to b prefect. I want everything that happens within my job to happen in a prefect state.

The manager's challenge is to figure out how to tap into that motivation to accomplish work goals.No matter what climate your organization provides to support your ability to motivate employees, you can, within the perimeters of your areas of responsibility, and even beyond, if you choose to extend your reach, create an environment to motivate employees. You can, daily, take actions that will increase employee satisfaction. These are the seven key actions you can take to motivate employees

Good place to work if you're just loking for a job, but not so good if you're looking for a career

Current Employee - Contract Specialist
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency

Pros

Very good work/life balance- employees can use up to 3 hours per week for gym time, telework, and flex-time.

Cons

unbalanced workloads, few career development opportunities, incompetent leadership, unnecessary layers of management. Good employees become very unmotivated since they quickly learn that they do not have a voice. If you are driven, want to work in an environment where you feel you have a purpose, and can contribute to organizational success you will lose your mind.

Bring in outsiders from private industry. Develop a true vision and mission for the organization. Establish goals and reward employees for meeting those goals. Establish better communication with the detachments. The list really goes on and on. Basically turn the whole organization upside down and start over. Ensure that you hire managers that actually know how to lead people effectively.

This is a great DoD Agency that serves our nation's war fighters at home and overseas.

Former Employee - Commander in Tracy, CA
    Former Employee - Commander in Tracy, CA

I worked at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team is one of the best, most professional groups of people I've seen pulled together in one place. They understand their role in this important international mission and they all pull together for the greater good.

Cons

The corporate ERP is antiquated and based on the manner in which the government "improves" its IT systems, buying new off the shelf technology is likely not going to happen anytime soon. It is effective, but not efficient and is about 3-5 years behind the fast movers in industry.

Optimize your storage profile. Drive the Services to a more efficient SKU footprint. Aggressively reduce and/or replace antiquated stocks. Validate war reserves with great scrutiny. Modernize all of your storage facilities and distribution points to take advantage of industry best practices.

It is a big ship that changes slowy.

I worked at US Defense Logistics Agency

Pros

They are very pro military. Very hard working and very diligent in getting it done.

Cons

It is not an agile organization. There is much oversite and pain,

Keep HQ out of the field activities.

Meaningful and stable work

Current Employee - Transportation Assistant in Crane, IN
    Current Employee - Transportation Assistant in Crane, IN

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Doesn't require a college degree, pay is great for what you do, mission is to support the warfighter

Cons

Management is not consistent, promotions are not likely due to how the government has to do it

Energy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Teleworking for some employees, Some good people

Cons

If you get on a bad team it can mess you up

Listen to the lower level employees

Great Work/Life Balance and Benefits

Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Columbus, OH

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for the federal gov't is far less stressful than the private sector. Being a parent of a young child, if anything happens, I am able to take off and attend to him. Overtime is optional and the flexible work schedule is a great benefit as well as teleworking from home up to 4 days a week. It is rewarding working in the Contracting field knowing that you are directly supporting the mission of the war fighter.

Cons

If you want to move up, NETWORKING is KEY. It's not what you know, it WHO you KNOW. It's great to know your job and work hard, but if you do not network with management and key people, you will not advance and that's the truth. The pay is lack luster to say the least, it would nice if the federal gov't tried to be more competitive salary wise with the private sector. Resources are sometimes wasted. It's time for the baby boomers to retire and let the millennials come in and do a better and more efficient job.

Promote those who work hard, not just those who suck up and network the best because they are not always the best suited for the position. Can wages be raised? It's great to have job stability but we would like to get paid more.

My experience with Defense Logistics Agency

Former Employee - Supply Technician in New Cumberland, PA
    Former Employee - Supply Technician in New Cumberland, PA

I worked at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I gained invaluable experience in Supply Distribution, Inventory, Receiving, Shipping and Supply Chain Management in my years with the years company. Very good vacation and sick leave benifits.

Cons

Largest Defense Supply Depot within the federal government, maybe to large. Management needs more input from the people who actually do the work.

Rely more on employees ideas

Job security and benefits make DLA a good place to work

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits such as telework and flex time

Cons

Pay will never be "outstsnding"

Contract Specialist

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Richmond, VA

Pros

GREAT PLACE TO WORK, lots of opportunities for advancement!.

Cons

none as of right now still employed.