US Department of Commerce

US Department of Commerce Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

US Department of Commerce Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker

Penny Pritzker

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, flexible scheduling(in 4 reviews)

• Interesting work, supervisors in my division empowered employees to make decisions(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Entrenched and poisonous middle/upper-middle management(in 3 reviews)

• Salary is too low and political appointees can be difficult to work with/for(in 3 reviews)

Steep learning curve for an intern

International Trade Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHelpful coworkers and management -- very friendly to interns
    Interesting guest speakers and department-wide discussions
    Lots of resources and knowledge on global trade
    Good work-life balance -- regular hours with the option to work from home

ConsVery steep learning curve -- essentially a new language of acronyms and industry terminology. Important to master for a long-term employee, but a little more confusing as an intern. The learning curve made is difficult to find a "niche" within the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns a more specific role than "assisting in litigation."

2010 - Another Decennial Census

Temporary Job
    Weird "Merit" System

DOC \ NOAA \ National Weather Service Commerce MD

Network Administrator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat Environment to work in overall.

Conspolitics can get in the way of getting work done at times

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ITA Intern

International Economist Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPlenty of mentoring and career growth assignments

Managers always willing to help Interns learn new data collection and analysis techniques

ConsChallenging Federal budget situation for all in the USG; everyone working as hard as possible under tough budget constraints

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

The internship showed me how the DOC operates and gave me relevant experience in business.

Export Licensing Officer Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsOnly had to commit to interning two days a week. The full time chemical licensing officers were incredibly friendly and welcoming, always asked if I needed any help. The internship allowed me to learn about current companies in the biological and chemical industries and the goods they export. I was also given the opportunity to write an industry report about the field of chemistry and present it to the head of the division.

ConsThere was no chance to possibly transition to a full-time position after graduation.

Many opportunities in one place

International Trade Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLongtime employees are very knowledgeable, room to take on extra responsibility, moving forward with technology, job security, many opportunities to detail to other business units or even to Capitol Hill. Details also include offices in different geographic locations.

ConsLongtime employees hanging on to old practices, slow decision making when not facing deadline, stovepipe business unit mentality (though it seems to be lessening), management doesn't make enough of an effort to get to know all the lower level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to encourage information sharing and collaborative projects that bring business units together. Take time to be more visible to all employees by stopping by offices or holding "meet-and-greets".

Great Place to Start... Great Place to Finish

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou'll get more responsibilities than you ever dreamed. Everyday is different and you get to do and try different things and learn new skills.

ConsManagement varies. Getting a good program manager and director is the luck of the draw. Reputation means everything; if you've done poorly, it follows you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less bureaucratic? It's government, what exactly is it that you expect to provide advice for? You're bound by Congress, the President, politics, economics. Do what you can... take risks once in a while.

Fast paced, uncertain, never knew what to expect from day to day.

Assistant MANAGER TECHNOLOGY (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood pay, worked lots of overtime. Variety of duties. Lots of mobility. Exciting

ConsNo real sense of belonging or comradie. Only temporary for 1 year for the 2010 Census. People were being fired left and right if they could not cut the mustard.

Advice to Senior ManagementWay to many directives from day to day. Stop using field techs as your spies!

It was a good chance to do a lot of market research and practice client calls.

International Trade Associate (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosgood network all over US and world, great way to learn about challenges faces small companies looking to export to compete globally

Consa bit boring as an intern, but a lot of room to be creative and add value to office operations

Advice to Senior Managementnot applicable

I had an incredibly rewarding experience.

Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, great work environment. Proud to show up every day to help improve the economy through trade promotion and advocacy.

ConsThe pay freezes and lack of openings at the lower levels make a long-term commitment somewhat scary. The Department could lose funding in the next couple years which will be detrimental to employees.

Worked for US Department of Commerce? Contribute to the Community!