US Department of Commerce

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Not yet rated.

US Department of Commerce Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker

Penny Pritzker

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance, flexible scheduling"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Interesting work, supervisors in my division empowered employees to make decisions"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Entrenched and poisonous middle/upper-middle management"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Salary is too low and political appointees can be difficult to work with/for"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love Science, Hurricane, Marine Mammals - This is for you

I have been working at US Department of Commerce full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits in the job exceed expectations in today's job market.

ConsThis isn't really a con but if you work for this organization - expect to travel to TDY locations if you are a scientists, engineer, aviator or part of the research mission. There is travel and extended hours on the scientific missions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining for Promotions evenly distributed and evaluated. If there is a stagnation in the system, how can you cross train to promote staff?

Field Enumerator

Field Enumerator (Former Employee)
Sylmar, CA

I worked at US Department of Commerce as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWork on your own. Tone planning and Strategic skills. Pay is great, as well as the mile reimbursement.

ConsHad to use your own car. Some houses that I went into smelled like crap and/or were not very safe.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

US Department of Commerce Summer Internship

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at US Department of Commerce part-time for less than a year

ProsThroughout the summer, work flexibility was high. This is regarding both when it was necessary to come to the office and what projects or leads I was interested in exploring.

ConsEmployee commitment really varies throughout the office. Some individuals are incredibly motivated and will go to great lengths to help out interns, however, others can be less willing to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall a great introduction into business development.

Great internship with ITA

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at US Department of Commerce as an intern for less than a year

ProsI had a lot of flexibility in relationship to my projects and it was very hands on. I really enjoyed the experience! There was plenty to do and I was not the only intern so I did not feel bad asking questions. It was encouraged and staff was very helpful. They gave great feedback and I learned a lot from the experience.

ConsNot getting paid is never fun, however it was only a semester internship and they were very flexible with my school schedule. Some of the office members were not as engaging so it was hard to build connections and relationships at time.

Okay place to work

Special Agent (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Commerce full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWork/life balance. Leave. Important mission.

ConsEntrenched and poisonous middle/upper-middle management. No accountability. Flat budgets. One percent raise to pay scale in last several years.

Great work environment, good feedback, satisfying work.

Speechwriting Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Commerce as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou can see how your work contributes to US government policy and that many of those working aren't in it just for the money. Good work environment, and those in charge are always trying to improve how things work in everything from communication to scheduling. Fast paced agency always working to meet the needs of US businesses.

ConsFast paced work schedule can mean late days, especially during busier seasons, after all though, DOC has to work fast enough to keep up with the demands of the private sector.

Working for Census was Fun and Busy

Census Enumerator (Former Employee)
Torrance, CA

I worked at US Department of Commerce part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible Schedule and paid training were offered. Learned new things, participated in Census and met new people. Pay was decent and duties were interesting.

ConsTemporary position, work was intermittent and needed to learn a lot of acronyms to do the paperwork. Hurry up and wait sometimes. No reference available other than form letters.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't buy tote bags made in China! duh

Slow paced, and poorly treated interns

Business Development Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at US Department of Commerce as an intern for less than a year

ProsI had a great manager who was very engaging, however the nature of government is that everything is just so slow paced.

ConsHorrendous work environment, I was in an intern room with 10 other interns, each with their own computer in a room without air condition during the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow respect to your interns.

Internship-Unpaid

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsGreat hands on experience with some smart people. Gives you perspective as to whether or not you want to do government work. Everyone is very nice and helpful.

ConsWork can occasionally be slow. Unclear structure and authorization process. Political tint in the workplace is obvious but not unexpected.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to give interns challenging projects.

Good for Govt

Civil Servant (Former Employee)

I worked at US Department of Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Worked in a great and growing office with innovative and motivated people
- Upper management was fairly accessible

Cons- Offices vary greatly in structure
- Hardly any chance to move up, but that's the nature of the beast in Govt

Worked for US Department of Commerce? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Commerce reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Department of Commerce CEO Penny Pritzker. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Commerce employees.