US Department of Commerce

US Department of Commerce Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

US Department of Commerce Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker

Penny Pritzker

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, flexible scheduling(in 4 reviews)

• Interesting work, supervisors in my division empowered employees to make decisions(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Entrenched and poisonous middle/upper-middle management(in 3 reviews)

• Salary is too low and political appointees can be difficult to work with/for(in 3 reviews)

Several great opportunities, and all at one place

Census Enumerator (Former Employee) Brecksville, OH

ProsI really enjoyed working on the census. the job offered flexible hours, great interaction with the public, and great pay. I also enjoyed my co-workers, who were from diverse backgrounds and stages of their careers.

ConsUnfortunately, most tours of duty only lasted a few weeks, a month or two at most. I was able to pick up several different tours over a 12 month period.

Mixed

International Trade Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsA chance to get great experience internationally, make good contacts, depending on the specific agency. Your experience is largely dependent on your immediate 1-2 supervisors. Colleagues are generally very good.

ConsUpper management is clueless and doesn't care. "The Emperor's New Clothes" is an apt analogy for most managers above the unit/office level, and Dilbert too often reads like an e-mail from an upper management's office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current crop is beyond saving.

Secure and decent benefits, but lacking in vision and mission

Export Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDecent salary, 40 hours/week, good benefits, flexible schedule

ConsReal leadership is not stressed in the US government as far as I've seen. There is no competition thus few incentives to innovate.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead anything by John Maxwell. Create a vision and get people behind it. Grow your leaders. Invest in relationships. Give people a reason for coming to work other than just to hit their metrics and collect a pay check.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Census Employee

Field Representative (Former Employee) Fort Washington, MD

ProsWorking on your own initiative. Excellent computer equipment. 95 percent of job is outside so you get fresh air and are not stuck behind a desk.

ConsDriving to different locations was stressful. Immediate supervisor not very helpful.

Great place for the motivated employee to advance his/her skills & experience.

Senior Training Specialist (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat opportunity to innovate. Senior management open to new and improved processes.

ConsLike much of the Federal Government, it is grossly under resourced for the number of tasks it is expected to complete effectively.

I was an intern in the International Trade Administration

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe people were great, there are occasionally really interesting projects.

ConsNonpaid, a lot of busy work

Brilliant Staff

Business Development Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat leadership, and you are given the opportunity to lead tasks based off your interests from day one.

ConsUnderutilized at times, also given notice of office closing and downsizing very swiftly.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize how much revenue and business development the office brings in SF.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Love Science, Hurricane, Marine Mammals - This is for you

ProsThe benefits in the job exceed expectations in today's job market.

ConsThis isn't really a con but if you work for this organization - expect to travel to TDY locations if you are a scientists, engineer, aviator or part of the research mission. There is travel and extended hours on the scientific missions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining for Promotions evenly distributed and evaluated. If there is a stagnation in the system, how can you cross train to promote staff?

Didn't work there long enough to have a good assessment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFederal work has plusses and minuses that are unique. Those challenges need to be met by unique leadership who both believe in the mission and empowered with the mandate to drive that mission.

ConsFederal work has plusses and minuses that are unique. Those challenges need to be met by unique leadership who both believe in the mission and empowered with the mandate to drive that mission.

Field Enumerator

Field Enumerator (Former Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsWork on your own. Tone planning and Strategic skills. Pay is great, as well as the mile reimbursement.

ConsHad to use your own car. Some houses that I went into smelled like crap and/or were not very safe.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for US Department of Commerce? Contribute to the Community!