US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General

Updated November 24, 2014
3.1

CEO

Great So Far

Pros

As a young employee, you are given chance to work projects on a range of issues that can really make a difference in policy. Additionally, in the right position, advancment is quick and dirty. Government benefits are great.

Cons

Work processes can be slow, and the work is often very detail orientied. If you aren't someone who is flexable in terms of specific tasks, you may find the environment trying.

Leads from behind.

Former Employee - Auditor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Auditor in Columbus, OH

I worked at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work
    Ability to travel and see different parts of DOD
    Will reimburse employees who decide to pursue a professional certification (e.g. CPA, CIA, etc.)

Cons

If you are not a favored one - then your promotion possibilities are limited.
    The audit report writing process is time-consuming, not efficient, and the audit reports have to satisfy the editors more so than the audit staff.

Stop favoring your favored.

Low Morale in Auditing

Current Employee - Auditor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation, as with all federal government jobs, are low to begin with; however, in time you will be well compensated and also have a decent work/life balance. Co-workers are generally laid-back and friendly. Additionally, if you are in a division that has a manager/director that will stand up to upper management or is well liked by upper management, you will have the ability to take advantage of up to 3 hours of physical fitness time a week and also the ability to telework. Projects can be very interesting and you will be working on audits for projects that are billions of dollars. There are very few other auditing jobs where you deal with projects of this size. In my opinion, this is a good starter job. If you get this job and your other prospects aren't great, take it, but don't stay too long or you will become jaded and demoralized like myself.

Cons

Management is very poor; micro-managing is rampant. Management does not treat all divisions fairly, so you may get put in a good spot or it may be terrible. You won't have a choice about that either; management places you where they want when you come aboard or get a promotion. The promotions also seem unfair/biased - this has been noted by many employees in our latest fedview survey (42% disagreed that promotions were based on merit), but management doesn't actively address employees comments about low morale and other issues. In many divisions, you must request telework NOT from your immediate manager, but from your director or even from the Assistant Inspector General. This practice does not promote teleworking - it results in employees never asking to telework, which seems to be what management wants. There is also a push to get more reports out more quickly, which is a good thing, if done properly. However, it seems to me like we write reports that sometimes don't make a difference (thus is a waste of our time and thus tax payer money) in order to have another product out. Also, getting reports out quickly means that managers force more work on the more experienced auditors giving new auditors little opportunity for real professional growth.

Instead of having a dismissive attitude about employee low morale, actually listen to employees and review results of the surveys without making straw man arguments. When you ask for suggestions on organizational improvement and you don't like the answer, don't resort to telling employees that they should be happy that they are still employed given the economic environment we are in. If you are telling employees and potential employees that you promote flexible schedules and teleworking, then actually do so by promoting it downward and providing managers with the ability to decide when their subordinates can telework. Hire by merit - if you get complaints that the process isn't fair, actually look into it and let employees know the results, otherwise it looks like you're trying to cover up what could be illegal/immoral. That's really not something that you want from an oversight agency.

DOD OIG - stable but unexciting

I worked at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General (more than an year)

Pros

Stable employment - you can't get fired without a congressional hearing (exaggeration, but not much of one). Good benefits, but not as good as in the private sector, obviously.

Cons

Slow paced and lots of employees take advantage of the harder workers by sitting on their laurels and letting others do all the work.

Stop acting like you have one foot out the retirement door

Very good, too much writing

I worked at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General

Pros

You receive very good pay increases in your first three years of almost ten thousand each year, good hours

Cons

Way too much writing, it is almost best to be an english major as an auditor there. Audits also tend to take a very long time as well.

Command Civil Engineer Inspector

Former Employee - Command Inspector in Scott AFB, IL
    Former Employee - Command Inspector in Scott AFB, IL

I worked at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of Travel, Good team to work with, Good employer.

Cons

Lots of Travel, long hours, tons of reading and writing reports.

None.

A good learning experience.

I have been working at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General

Pros

This is a stable job that you get good experience at and can get your foot in the door

Cons

Some times there is little work to do and you may question why you are doing things

Inspection division chief

Current Employee - Division Chief in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Division Chief in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome autonomy from senior leadership

Cons

Nothing, great job to make a difference

Start Here but Don't Stay Here

Current Employee - Auditor in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Good place to start your career if you are just out of school with an accounting degree. Decent promotion potential - many auditors have been promoted to GS13 (team lead), PM (GS14), then if lucky, PD (GS15). Plus all the old guys are retiring.

compared to private sector, good benefits. But just OK compared to rest of federal govt. Can make more money at large accounting firm.

Good opportunities to travel if you like SW Asia (Afghanistan and Middle East), Cleveland, Indianapolis.

Mostly good poeple. Even good managers, believe it or not. Really depends on what team your on. Most of the auditors are bright and well intentioned.

Cons

Where do I begin. It's a combination of large things that make work needlessly frustrating plus a number of small, stupid things that together make life miserable at OIG.

In Audit, too many upper level folks giving direction. This means meeting after meeting, more reviews and drafts of reports than needed. Also, audit process gets changed too frequently.

I agree with investigator who in other review said the admin/management directorate is source of headaches for everyone. Very true. Constant emails telling us all kinds of petty restrictions - don't eat your sack lunch in one part of the cafe seating area, need for additional forms to fill out, etc.

Audits take forever but not b/c of any fault on part of auditors. This means sometimes have to work late or even on weekend. At least we get credit hours for it.

Because of BRAC, all of us at HQ were moved just over a year ago to current building, the Mark Center. The building is a good example of how common sense gets obliterated by having too many people involved in planning something, along with too many regulations. Everyone hates it.

It is cramped: No breakrooms, tight corridors, cubes are tiny. There is no reason for this - footprint of overall Mark Center is huge but for some reason they built two towers istead of one large one. So lots of space waste on empty air.

It is confusing: Everyone spread out across 15 floors and two towers, so hard to find people when you need to. Conference room for a meeting will be on a different floor, way back in a suite. Not all elevators go to all floors.

It is tedious: Get ready to scan your ID three times just to get to your desk or to go to the bathroom. Old building had more refridgerators - that sounds like a small thing but it gets old not being able to get your lunch into the packed fridge b/c there are only 2 per floor.

It is isolated: Beautiful public nature preserve next door - too bad there's a fence (put up by DOD) to keep us out. On top of that, getting out of the building takes about 10 minutes. Not like you can step out and get a Starbucks or a burrito. Nowhere to eat nearby unless you want to shell out $50 to eat at Clydes or at the Hilton. Cafe in the lobby is about $8 a pound - seriously?

It is extremely hard to get to: Mark center is nowhere near a metro station. Commuter buses from the pentagon are unreliable and jam packed. If you want to drive and are not a GS15 or up, your screwed. The wait list for a parking spot is about a year, even though there are hundreds of garage spaces not being used. (Management will spew a line of BS about why this has been the case since we moved over a year ago. I thought SES is supposed to be "results oriented"!) SES and gs15 get parking the day they start work AND have an "executive entrance" , not a joke - they get to avoid taking two escalators and just go right in the building. Rest of us have to go up an escalator just to go right down another one, then get funneled thru extra set of revolving doors that stop for no reason.

Other stupidity: Showers for bike commuters are clear on the other side of where the bike racks are - and you can't lock anything overnight. Everything is either white or grey, like a very clean prison. Cant check personal email at work at all and wireless reception in building is hit or miss, mostly miss. Plus not many offices, so hard to make the occasional necessary personal call.

OIG has unnecessary rules and procedures for everything. Multiple forms, each with multiple signatures required if you want to telework. If the government is closed cause of snow and you have a telework agreement, guess what sweetheart: Your working or you ain't gettin paid! You get to do 3 hours of exercise/week for the IG Challenge, but ya gotta do it in the middle of the day, which means ya gotta join the tiny gym in the lobby. Which means you'll be parading your fat sweaty self thru the lobby like a greased turkey at lunchtime.

Add to this a slew of unprofessional admins who do zero work and just waddle around blabbing at the top of there lungs with a very few exceptions. Plus constantly changing audit rules and processes from the SES level that drive all the auditors bats--t crazy.

did i mention random drug tests?

Get senior leaders on the same page when it comes to audit requirements and processes. You can't just change stuff on the fly and then have other leaders giving opposite guidance.

Let people work on a mix of types of audits. Gets old doing one type all the time based on what directorate your in.

Too many reviews--do we really need IRR AND tech review AND edit AND final FO review? Takes forever to get a project done and then we get blamed for it.

Lighten up on the forms and rules. Let people telework without having to lay out what they are going to be working on in advance. Drop the stupid itemized timesheets. They eat up more time than they could possibly save and no one fills them out accurately at all.

Force the admin "officers" to do some actual work in exchange for their GS12 salaries. (Or better yet, RIF them.) it is an insult to those of us who have to work hard for our money to see people who do almost no work and yet they get an office despite being of lower rank, just b/c they are admin, as if that means they actually do management of any kind. (They don't. The 14s and 15s do all of it.)

Crack the whip on whoever at the pentagoon is keeping us from using all the empty parking spaces that are just sitting there. Also get us more buses from the Pentagon and make them run on time. Think about running a bus from DC, Ballston/Rosslyn and in meantime expand the number of buses from the pentagoon.

Look into moving the agency somewhere with more space and either with lots of parking OR near an actual metro station. How about going back to Crystal City, which everyone pretty much loved. Or anywhere on the RB corridor (Orange Line). If Ballston is safe enough for DARPA, it's safe enough for OIG. Ft. Belvoir (as we were originally told would be our new location) would at least have given us parking.

Quit making auditors work nights/weekends sometimes. No one will die b/c of an extra day. We wouldnt be late if we didnt have all these meetings and review phases.

Drop this silly strategic communication initiative i hear is going to change format for audit reports. What a load of B$. Let the PR people do PR and let the auditors audit and tell it like it is.

Stop having town halls to ask us stupid questions like what is empowerment. All we want is a comfortable place to work, an easy way to get there, a minimum of stupid rules and forms, predictable processes, reasonable workload, and mgmt that will go to bat for us on all those things. most of the communication from the top is done to appease us and not to actually consider what we have to say and use our input to make changes.

Good mission, good people, but dysfunctional organization

Current Employee - Criminal Investigator in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Criminal Investigator in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Meaningful work and a good mission, protecting the war fighter, and one of the best reputations among the Inspector General community. I work in the Investigations component which is also know as the Defense Criminal Investigative Service (DCIS) and is recognized in the Federal law enforcement community for high quality fraud, corruption, and technology protection investigations. We regularly recover in criminal restitution, fines, and stolen property 3 to 4 times what we spend to operate each year.

Cons

The major con for me is that this is one dysfunctional organization...and has been that way since I started working here over 20 years ago. There are several components within the OIG and they all seem to think they are the most important and they rarely, if ever, work together to accomplish a common goal. There are individuals within each component that have personal relationships with employees in other components and they will work together on a personal level, but rarely have I seen the components work together. The chief offender is the Administration & Management directorate, which provides financial, contracting, HR, property, security, and information technology support to the rest of the organization. The A&M directorate seems to actively work against other components and make EVERYTHING more difficult. What should normally take minutes will take hours, hours will take days, days will take months, and months will take years. I am so fed up with this situation, I am seriously considering taking a lower paying job just to get away from this situation.

Hold component heads accountable when they fail to live up to the motto on the intranet page "...one team working together". Nothing could be further from the truth right now and many good people are losing confidence in management's ability to lead and inspire a professional, collaborative culture where the total is greater than the some of its parts.

Work at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General? Share Your Experiences

US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General