US Department of Defense Reviews

Reset

Retention Problems

Current Employee - Applied Research Mathematician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Applied Research Mathematician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance: the flexibility to work whenever is great (minus the fact that the parking situation at my specific organization effectively prevents us from actually taking advantage of this flexibility). Also, 40 hour work weeks are fantastic.

Cons

Some of the claimed "benefits" of working for the government end up not being very beneficial. The education program in my organization has inconsistent acceptances, is extremely slow to process payments, and ends up costing the employee about 35% in taxes out of pure laziness on the government's side. The travel situation is bad- not only is it difficult to get approved to travel for training and skill enrichment (necessary in the STEM skill field), but getting reimbursed for that approved travel usually feels like pulling teeth. The organization as a whole is too big. This means there is very little actual change and what there is takes place very slowly. This also means that while the mission is very important, people get in the way and there are organizations that are too far from that mission to impact it, leading to low morale amongst some people in those offices. Promotions and Bonuses are a joke- enjoy waiting six months after submitting your paperwork to find out that you haven't "been in grade" long enough, when that isn't even a criteria. The technology sucks, the food and IT service contracts are ridiculous, the so-called stability of a government job was blown out of the water with furlough, and Congress is slowly taking away what small benefits remain for government workers. There are plenty of other things that grind my gears (and those of my coworkers) on a daily, if not hourly, basis, but they basically boil down to there being many opportunities for change, but nothing big enough to move the monolith that is the government to do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop surveying and start doing. Slim down your organizations and start focusing on what needs to be done. Don't just follow policy because it is there- fight the policy that is stupid and prevents you from really taking care of your workforce. Quit with the "no" mindset.

2. Liaison

I worked at US Department of Defense

Pros

serving as either a GS or service member provides a great deal of job security and great benefits. the greatest pro is the job satisfaction that comes from serving our Nation.
    opportunity to serve overseas.

Cons

the work / life balance can be a challenge, especially as you raise in rank. whether a service member or a GS civilian.

3. Assistant/Deputy Chief Financial Officer

Current Employee - Assistant/Deputy Chief Financial Officer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant/Deputy Chief Financial Officer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Career with lots of responsibility and team esprit de corps.

Cons

Decreased family stability. Responsibility does not equal financial capacity.

Advice to Management

None

5. Meaningful and Constant

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time

Pros

Steady work, with great benefits. Very fulfilling supporting service members.

Cons

You are at the mercy of Congress. Temporary furloughs and political budget cuts can make life stressful.

Advice to Management

Continue to push for ways to weed out poor performers that keep their job or are shifted from team to team.

6. Gov't Contract Specialist

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Dayton, OH

I have been working at US Department of Defense (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Hours. Very intelligent and talented newer workforce.

Cons

Low pay for qualifications. Lots of lazy and unqualified people here.

Advice to Management

360 degree interviews before awarding competitive promotions.

7. Medical Support

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love a job where I can help others to do better.

Cons

The work can be challenging

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of your staff

8. DoD

I worked at US Department of Defense

Pros

Structured work environment and good pay and benefits.

Cons

None that I can think of.

9. Engineer within DoD

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time

Pros

Work life balance, telework flexibility, interesting work.

Cons

Slow to change, inconsistent execution of policies and performance management.

10. Administrative Support Assistant

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time

Pros

Challenging, opportunity for growth, good pay and benefits.

Cons

wage freeze, furlough, job freeze

11. DOD

I worked at US Department of Defense full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security is guaranteed, 30 days of annual paid leave, on the job training, all medical care 100% covered, benefits to use base facilities, discounts

Cons

Long work hours/overtime without extra compensation, locked into contract to serve time, long periods away from family, need to be ready to move at any given time.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any advice and it would make no difference if I did. I think this question is much more applicable to normal, private sector companies.

RSS Feed </> Embed