US Department of Education

Thomas Skelly

Great place to work

Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Education full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The agency is mission driven. There are good opportunities for training and professional development. The job is stable. Once you get through a one year probationary period, it is nearly impossible to be fired. It is family-friendly. You can telework a few days a week in many parts of the agency.

Cons

Things happen slowly, which can be frustrating. Poor performers are rarely fired, so you can work with outstanding people and really lame people at the same time. The large number of politcal appointees can be a problem, because they try to change things without knowing the organization. And then they leave on average after only a year and a half. And they're often young, inexperienced, but connected to political donors.

Hire more young people. Move faster. Fire poor performers.

great workplace

I have been working at US Department of Education

Pros

great bosses and office culture

Cons

cons are what you make of it

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Management & Program Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management & Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture, is more relaxed and more flexible than other government agencies I have worked for.

Cons

With all things considered, none. When I state all things considered I am referrig to other government agencies I have done business with. the Dept. Of Ed. Is more flexible than the FAA, however not as flexible as a start up. So the Department could be more flexible and more dynamic but it is more progressive than it couinterparts.

Do what is best for the people first, not universities or servicers. This goes for all of DOED.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great intern experience at Department of Ed

Former Employee - Management Analyst/Systems Administrator  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Management Analyst/Systems Administrator in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Education as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work .

Cons

more opportunity should be provided

So-so Internship Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Education as an intern for less than a year

Pros

My summer internship was at the Risk Management Service, which allowed me to see a unique side of government workings--application of business & data-driven principles in government decisions and procedures. People were very nice and always willing to help.

Cons

It seemed like most of the people in my office were late into their careers or still-in-college interns...and the interns amounted to like 3 people total--far outweighed by the older folks. Hard to feel a sense of camaraderie and excitement/motivation for the work that was going on...but maybe it's like that in government agencies across the board. And as an intern, there is only so much that can be given...I would often have days where I would finish all of my work in 2 hours and have nothing to do for 6 hours.

More structured internship program that takes care of interns and invests in their professional development

Good people and relaxed atmosphere, with meaningful work (from an Intern perspective)

Former Employee - Legal Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Department of Education as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good amount of work
    Saw various job positions and duties within the organization, which was very helpful for figuring out my own interests and skills

Cons

Didn't get to meet as many people in the office aside from the team you work with
    Sometimes can be hard to reach team members if they are telecommuting

HR Analyst

I have been working at US Department of Education

Pros

work life balance and peer that i work with

Cons

long work hours and projects that seem redundant

be more macro then micro

If you're new to the gov't, ask lots of questions in the interview

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The government gives great benefits and job security. If that's what you need, then this is the place for you! Federal service can be rewarding, but it's important that you do your research, do some information interviews to get a true feel for the office, and ask about your job categorization (this could be incredibly limiting).

Cons

Partnership for Public Service - you can find your prospective agency and often your sub-office to get a true sense of nearly every aspect of your future workplace. In my experience, the survey is pretty on point (in some cases, unfortunately on point).

Steady, Stable, and enjoyable

Current Employee - Loan Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Loan Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at US Department of Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stability of job. Low stress

Cons

Non at the moment right now.

I had a great time working in US. Department of Education as internship

I have been working at US Department of Education as an intern

Pros

flexible work schedule, earliest one is from 6:30AM and including telecom

Cons

limited job opportunity not as much as private company

Worked for US Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!