US Department of Health and Human Services

US Department of Health and Human Services Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

US Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius

Kathleen Sebelius

Pros
  • In addition it allows you to work from home 2-3 days a week(in 6 reviews)

• Growth potential, great work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • As a governement agency, the salary is noncompetitive compared to the private sector(in 5 reviews)

• Red tape, down time, unnecessary waiting for something as simple as an access badge(in 3 reviews)

Great place to work. Love the mission and the people. Bad boss.

Supervisory Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI liked the opportunity to work in a federal agency with such a broad mission that touches the lives of so many of our citizens. People who work in the Operating Divisions (NIH, CDC, FDA, etc.) show a lot of passion for the work. Providing support services that allow them to do their best was a great feeling.

ConsThe HR shop wasn't that great. Lots of slackers. People who worked hard, were continually overworked. Those who were not pulling their weight were simply shelved or overlooked. Rewards were low as management in HR usually reserved all of the award money for themselves or overspent in other areas which meant the HR office had no money left for awards for the rank and file. Our CHCO set up an awards schedule that allowed some top rated employees only about $300 while she raked in $80K in awards one year for the collective efforts of the staff!

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employees for their individual and organizational contributions. Deal swiftly with poor performers. Use open merit competition as intended in the law. Select more people with technical competence and fewer who just excel at being warm and fuzzy but dumb and inefficient. People need leaders who know what they are doing. Cheerleaders are great but coaches and the team win the game.

I worked as a Telecommunication Specialist and the team I worked with was always encouraging.

Telecommunnication Specialist (Former Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsFriendly environment, tech support across the nation was helpful. The team I worked with always upbeat, open, professional, and most were ex-military! What a great combination to work with all week long.

ConsI wish my truck were running strong but unfortunately mechanical problems prevented me to fulfill the contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep the team mix, part military & part non-military crew!

Interesting place to work

Program Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWork life balance is excellent

ConsPoor incompetent leadership / a group think culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the folks who are competent & not buddy's.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunities exist to make a difference and to grow but, just as with any large bureaucracies, things can move slow.

Public Affairs (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFederal government provides excellent benefits and security
    HHS is large enough to be able to move laterally within the organization

ConsSlower to change than desirable

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that to be successful in the future, it will be necessary to have a workforce that is more nimble and agile. Some of the initiatives underway in the Office of the Chief Technology Officer are good but there needs to be a much greater investment in resources to make them scalable.

I would also recommend a much greater commitment to knowledge management. Too much institutional knowledge is lost and this will only increase as greater turnover becomes the norm.

A pretty good place to work

ProsThey have been pretty good about offering step increases and other annual incentives.

ConsThis is a very union heavy environment. Staff file grievances for very minor issues.

This is a desk jockey job requiring to read and click a computer screen.

Project Officer (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsThe pay is good and there is the option of telework. There is also a retirement benefits, good healthcare and transportation subsidy. My supervisor understands the situation and is extraordinarily amenable: a great person to work with.

ConsIt makes absolutely no use of my skills although the position requires a registered architect. There is no oversight for the work I review. Personal growth is non-existent particularly for my profession. This is a highly bureaucratic system where the rules are simply the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn this circumstance no advice is possible.

Program Support Center HHS Reputation

Communications (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDepartment of the Director of the Program Support Center. Nice to work for the Director with perks and the respect that comes from others. Good office space. Support is pretty good. Projects are interesting and you are genuinely serving the greater public. Many of the employees were good, hard working and wanted to stay in the department. Compensation and perks were good.

ConsI'm offering this to help those who are thinking that this is a good career move as I did. The environment is very dictatorial; an environment some might thrive in, others might not. There are no processes in place to help an employee improve their performance, or get advancement. It's all about the Directors needs and how one person in upper management wants the work delivered - without any input from 'workers' even if that employee has valid and important suggestions based on experience an education. It was not a nurturing environment that encourages workers to do better. Four out of seven of the team quit while I was there, two new employees were hired and let go. The core team that was left had a lot of fear about their jobs. It wasn't a very good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better communication and involvement from the Director directing his team in how it does it's work instead of being isolated from the processes. The isolation of the Director from the team by one person creates an opportunity for politics, back-biting and power plays. One person at the top makes all the decisions based on their own opinion. It is suggested to instead sincerely allow those who do a good job to be allowed to do it, and give the employee the room to grow. When a new Director of Communications comes on board and sits down with the team for the first time and honestly asks everyone what they would like to see get better, and everyone is completely silent and grim, you have to know there is a deep problem.

Government is what it is

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork life balance is good

Consgovernment processes can be slow

Great Experience

Health Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat opportunities to learn new issues and have a hand in creating important policy

ConsYou may put a lot of work and effort into a project only to have leadership shelve it in the end.

Fast pace environment, work load is very heavy and is overwhelming most days.

Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) Clinton Township, MI

ProsGreat health benefits and experience

ConsVery stressful job and it will break you down after so long

Advice to Senior ManagementStick up more for your employees rather than just the clients that we service. Pitch in and help out more often and stop stressing us out.

Worked for US Department of Health and Human Services? Contribute to the Community!