US Department of Homeland Security

www.dhs.gov

US Department of Homeland Security Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Jeh Johnson

Pros
  • Sometimes you get to make a difference by locking up career criminals(in 11 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are as good as can be found anywhere(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management that "doesn't have your back(in 7 reviews)

• Long hours to keep aircraft in the air safely(in 5 reviews)

It's a job not a career.

Border Patrol Agent (Current Employee) Ajo, AZ

ProsMost Border Patrol Agents are a lot more honest, and hard working than people in the private sector. Pay is relatively high. Good opportunity for advancement. Union rules mandate a different position everyday. At some stations with a large area management is not able to micro manage. Sometimes you get to make a difference by locking up career criminals.

ConsDue to budget cuts we will probably loose about %30 of our pay due to overtime being cut. Management creates static positions where agents have to park their vehicle and not move for their entire shift. This is done to create the illusion that illegal immigration is down. When you have six groups of illegals actively being tracked down by only four agents the rest get away, but that isn't reported to the public. Most supervisors are more focused on logging damage to government vehicles(off road driving damages vehicles), than preventing illegal immigration and drug smuggling. Anyone who deviates from the good-ole boy club is automatically ostracized. If you happen to get in to a gun fight management will try to protect their careers first, the agent second. New supervisors look to make a name for themselves by creating paperwork. It is impossible to make a logical argument to some of them. You have to take everyone's ego in to account before you try to disagree with a dumb new policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the minimum time to become a supervisor from 3 years to 10 years. No one reads any VLC, we just click through them so we can go relieve the previous shift from their static position at a reasonable time. Get rid of the culture of trying to make agent's feel like crap their first two years.

Department of Homeland Security

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe Department of Homeland Security is a large organization with an important mission. There are a lot of hard working, ethical, and dedicated employees who work for DHS.

ConsDue to the large size of the Department of Homeland Security, there are many competing priorities for the agency. Resources are limited, which is the same challenge faced by many Federal agencies. The reductions of funding are in the area of information technology. There are many areas to reduce costs, but the agency has not figured out the best approach to do so.

great place to work

Trades Helper (Aircraft) (Current Employee) Elizabeth City, NC

Prospay, number of days off, hours, and fairly laid back attitude. outstanding co-workers that really know their jobs, and unlimited opportunities for advancement.

Consnone that i have found yet.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work... and listen to your people. they know more than you think.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a new government agency, adapting to a fast paced -ever changing work model was essential to our success.

Intelligence Operations Specialist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTeam work and a genuine willingness to improve all aspects of our operation made the personal challenges and the rewards unique. I enjoyed writing programs, training new hires and being involved in the day to day operation.

ConsLong hours away from family and short notice for travel. You prepare for these things, but you don't always like them.

Advice to Senior ManagementSurround yourself with the best people available and trust them to do thir jobs. When they do good, you do good. Praise often and in public. Keep discipline and operational concerns in the office. Moral is important to all employees. If you want them to stay focused and produce, maintain a good quality of moral.

Security Manager

Security Manager (Current Employee) Key West, FL

ProsUtilize your expertise to maximize the potential of your subordinates.

ConsSmall Airports can get very personal, steering away from fact to perception.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you feel that your time is up and you are not allowed or able to benefit a location then move on dont linger it is a career ending misstake.

IT Specialist

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosgreat career travel options and training opportunity to move within the govt

Conspolitics and mananagement tough to get in the govt

The IBM Call Center of I.C.E.

Help Desk (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsGuaranteed job, TV with current new running 24-7, Hive mind IT environment, birthday cake, pot luck food events, property management buy food for tenants.

ConsAbsolutely no forward job opportunity, Major Micro managing, Upper Management treats you like an insect, High turn over rate, Extremely high call volume, Employee call in sick all the time, If you glbt DON'T WORK HERE!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more employees that are qualified

Disorganized and disjointed with poor leadership

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you work in headquarters as I do you get very close to senior leadership such as Congressional appointees, That's rare in DoD (for example) unless you are in the right position. A corollary is you get to influence decisions and outcomes more than usual.

ConsThe "One DHS" organization has yet to gell even after all the years that have past. It is a hard problem to get disparate organizations together (USGS, CBP, DNDO, ICE, etc.). My area is systems acquisition and I have not seen much professionalism here in that regard, USCG excluded.

In the organization I work, it has been very evident people are hired and promoted more for their connections and pliability than their experience and skill set.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experienced people in leadership positions irrespective of their past government employment, in particualr DoD.

Criminal Investigator responsible for securing the nation's borders

Special Agent (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe best part of this career is making a difference every day and the ability to work independently in the direction your common sense takes you.

ConsSometimes it can be quite structured and bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it is more beneficial to stay focused on the job we are doing than your next career move.

Interesting with your average politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsGreat benefits and travel for those who chose

ConsThe government and the politics

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take head when you are advised from your field worker.

Worked for US Department of Homeland Security? Contribute to the Community!