US Department of Justice

US Department of Justice Reviews

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
3.8

US Department of Justice Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr.
Eric H. Holder, Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance, service to the public is satisfying, friends at work (in 9 reviews)

• Job security, always have a job, prob not going to get laid off (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • it's government, so compensation doesn't compare to the private sector (in 10 reviews)

• No significant bonuses for exceptionally long hours or good results (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

DOJ Jobs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Government job have some of the best benefits, compensation and time off.
    Exciting jobs, not your boring sit behind the desk jobs
    Great people, very professional
    One of the more exciting jobs working for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. You can learn much about dealing with difficult people from different backgrounds and cultures. Many exciting opportunities within the agency with much room for advancement.

Cons

Some danger involved
    New managers not very experienced, heading in wrong direction
    Need more long term solutions to issues and goals
    Some positions require working shift work and on holidays.

None

Federal Employment

Current Employee - Discipline Hearing Officer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Discipline Hearing Officer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, promotion opportunities, leave. Great job with many positive aspects. Positions within the US, Puerto Rico and Hawaii.

Cons

shift work, weekend and holiday work. Work can be physically demanding and dangerous.

N/A

Over 10 years as IT Specialist

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the Thrift Savings Plan

Cons

No longer receiving cash awards due to sequestration.

Work hard and do well and you shouldn't have any problems. Always make friends in other areas so you can move around within the Agency

Education Specialist

Current Employee - Education Specialist in Coleman, FL
    Current Employee - Education Specialist in Coleman, FL

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunities are wonderful if you are willing to be go where the opportunities are. Also, my agency has a twenty year retirement plan with matching contributions from the agency. The job is stable and the salary is good. The agency offers great training that will allow employees to be the most skilled and professionals in the industry. The agency offers a wonderful and culturally diverse environment.

Cons

Promotion without relocation is difficult.

Great place to work

I have been working at US Department of Justice

Pros

Job security, and supervisors let you do your work without micro-managing. Good starting point in your gov't career.

Cons

No room for growth, get "drafted" to do other duties that are not in the job description. Things don't change much around here, its the same thing everyday so much that if your not careful you will get complacent.

Hire more persons that want to do the work and stop drafting those who already have 50 to 60% of their plate full.

It's ok

Current Employee - Section Chief in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Section Chief in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and they care about family. People are generally nice and there is a huge budget so environment isn't as bad or worrisome as at other agencies.

Cons

Not a great deal of attention to achieving results. It's all about looking good. If you come from another agency, you are considered an outsider for a long, long time. Not a great deal of interest in changing the beauracracy to make things more efficient.

Work on making the organization more efficient to save tax payers money. Not some lame action to move money around

Overall am grateful for the experience and career.

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time

Pros

Mobility: Working for a federal agency allows you to move to other cities throughout your career
    Great benefits: matching 401K, generous leave/vacation, long term care option, medical coverage for retirement
    Career growth: Able to move into specialties over the years for professional growth (and often higher pay grades too)
    Salary: Stable. When I started in government service the market was booming and my friends were making fun of me for being on a much lower salary scale. But in recent years since the market bottomed out, it's interesting how everyone now thinks my salary is awesome. (I've never had complaints about it at any time, in truth). So I suppose "stable" is the best way to describe the salary. And of course it's been literally stable since the 2010 pay freeze.

Cons

When Congress doesn't do their job and pass the budget...then we operate on a "continuing resolution" for up to six months and our mission suffers.
    When Congress doesn't do their job and balance the budget...then we (not them) get furloughed.
    Major bureaucracy and prevalence of individual agendas

Strive harder to maintain professional integrity.

It's been career enhancing

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time

Pros

The name helps and you get exposure to a lot.

Cons

The work environment is segregated.

Stay in your position for more than 2 years.

Rewarding to be a part of the mission but...

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time

Pros

Working with the Department of Justice has given me the opportunity to travel, attend conferences aligned with your interests, and meet with people from all over the country. It feels worthwhile and rewarding and the mission is what really glues the people together. There is also excellent job security, for better or worst, and it doesn't feel as high stressed as the private sector.

Cons

The budget issues have really plagued the attitudes of the people working there. Lack of resources and supplies have led people to feel very mentally defeated and under appreciated because of increases in workload pushing people to have to work after hours with no overtime or compensatory time. Additionally, there are many working there who have been grandfathered in who are allowed to clock in and clock out with little effort which leads to others feeling as if it isn't a cooperative team environment. We were also told shortly after hired that there would be professional development opportunities and few have actually been brought to the front table.

Political agency with good people.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, retirement, promotion potential.

Cons

Agency is very political. Any promotion generally requires sucking up instead of your work performance or qualifications.
    Medical insurance is surprisingly bad having come from different State and private agencies.

US Department of Justice Photos