US Department of Labor
www.dol.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

US Department of Labor Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Thomas E. Perez

Pros:
  • "Work/Life Balance is Great, Health Benefit Package competitive"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Good collective bargaining, good benefits, good mission statement"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Maybe get a little monotonous at times and some members of Senior Management should receive better training in staff supervision"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Despite the bureaucratic challenges, there's room for growth if an employee is willing to relocate.

Contract Specialist (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is relative job security.

ConsThe agency has a punitive culture. Performance appraisals are used as a threat.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop punishing us by using performance appraisals. Empower us instead.

People actually labor at the Department of Labor

I worked at US Department of Labor as an intern for less than a year

ProsThey give interns substantial work in whatever department you get assigned to. If you're a paid intern through the Pathways program, it's a good amount of money. In addition, it's right across from the Metro stop and they do provide a subsidy if you use public transportation. My agency did a great job in integrating the interns into the whole group.

ConsThere's a lot of acronyms and abbreviations that take a while to get used to. It's not the greatest working space in the world, but it works. There are a few people who seem to just be on their phones all day talking about non-work related things, but they are far outnumbered by the people who actually do their work and are committed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the interns have solid projects lined up before the summer starts with their supervisor-- it's a lot easier to get started right away and make sure you get the most out of the interns.

Great job - highly recommend it!

Area Office (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe people are all friendly and great to work with, the work itself involves helping others and is very rewarding, and the schedule and benefits are very flexible and family-friendly

Conssometimes we have to work within budgetary constraints when Washington can't agree on how to fund the government, sometimes this means wondering if the government will stay open as we read about on the news

Best and worst experience of my life

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIntellectually challenging until dumbing down of agency. Righting workplace wage violations for deserving staff.

ConsBrain-dead lazy uncreative overpaid managers getting promoted due to "yessiree" attitude, getting their comp. time while employees actually working overtime not getting paid for their actual hours on the job. Poorly written regulations, under-enforcement of good laws, over-enforcement for political and statistical bases...

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak the mold. Try honesty and personal accountability. Try fairness instead of favoritism over the status quo. Don't steal your employees' ideas; give credit where due.

Not a good working environment

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, pay, and retirement plan

ConsBad management, petty co-workers, and band HR department

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some training on how to lead people not manage projects

I found great satisfaction is helping get help for people with problems on their job, however, I found much prejudice.

Sec, Legal Services (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe very reason for working at the Dept. of Labor is getting the opportunity to be a public servant assisting people with job problems.

ConsMany minority persons have been overlooked for jobs for which they were qualified

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be fair to all employees, address problems when they appear and show genuine interest in the welfare of his/her employees.

Experience at the Department of Labor has been both negative and positive.

Analyst (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe government provides excellent benefits.

ConsThere is no potential for promotion or increasing skills and competencies.

intense but interesting

Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 3 years

Prosdedication to mission, hardworking, intelligent people, some flexibility in work hours, good union, get your own office; a great history going back to FDR; a lot of established traditions are part of the culture and add value and learning to the experience.

Conscompetitive, some people don't work hard so if you are a hard worker you will get a lot of responsibility and possibly more than your share of the work; it's a place with highs and lows and a certain intensity that can be exhausting.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to appreciate all who support the mission, not just the squeaky wheel;

Interesting work, little room for advancement

Senior Investigator (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting and exciting work, great benefits, flexible work schedule, work independently, set your own deadlines

ConsManagement lacks knowledge necessary for the job, management receives little to no training, don't get promoted unless you file a grievance, management has their favorites and those are the only ones who get promoted.

I would never work for DOL/ OSHA again...

Health and Safety Clerk (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time for less than a year

ProsFederal benefits, paid time off, good medical benefits and pay.

ConsManagement is allowed to act any jacked up way they want. OSHA is nothing but politics and a popularity contest. It seems like they want to fine a business for almost anything without giving them much counseling for corrective action.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your employees to respect you I would advise showing them respect. Slamming files on your employees desks, giving attitude for no reason and questioning employees personal lives is not professional. Also, treat long term employees with more appreciation than newer ones.

Worked for US Department of Labor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Labor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Department of Labor CEO Thomas E. Perez. All 67 reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Labor employees.